How Air Ambulances don't work

Your point would be made better if you could refrain from profane insults. This first responder expended considerable effort getting his certification, roughly the equivalent of a couple of full time semesters, PLUS having to work along side of various areas of the hospital including the ER. I ain't no bumbledfark, thank you.

The decision is not made just by some gut instinct. We've got defined protocols defined by the state medical head under whose authority we operate. It specifies where we transport the patients and by what means. The helicopter only gets called for multisystem trauma cases. Broken bones and some serious bleeding wouldn't cut it. When you've pulled a few bodies out of wrecks, you don't have a hard time deciding when it is appropriate or not.

Despite the "inaccurate" statements in the video, there's no "stabilizing" of a multi-trauma patient in the field. We may stop the external bleeding and start fluids and perhaps even mast trousers, but we can't perform surgery in the field and these cases NEED surgery rapidly (that's what the golden hour is all about). Not only do you have to get them to the trauma center fast, but the trauma center has to be ready to start cutting.

Most of the other cases, for example, cardiac cases, we carry a lot of things that we can do (in coordination with the doctor in the ER) on the scene. We can do CPR, administer oxygen, adminster fluids, epinephrine, bicarb, monitor and diagnose arrhythmia, perform defibrillation and cardioversions. In that case, transport is wasting time. The patient needs certain intervention (defib, CPR) more than he needs to be in a hospital, even if he does end up needing angioplasty or the like.

Paramedic/FF here. Worked volly fire for 17 years and ten years for one of the largest non profit EMS firms in the nation. I’ve seen first hand how certain types request a chopper at the sight of a horrific crash without even triaging the patient(s). It happens. I wish they’d put more physicians (“notarzt”) on the ambulances like in Germany. Might actually save healthcare costs. I’ve seen this first-hand while working ALS shifts
with an orthopaedic surgeon who oddly enjoyed working as an EMS peon on his days away from the OR.

Having been both on the sending and receiving end of air ambulance transports for a couple of decades I can assure you that the transferring physician is usually quite aware of the acuity of the situation and the potential for deterioration. Just because something bad didn’t happen during the transport doesn’t mean the potential wasn’t there. I don’t think that’s “defensive” I think it’s smart.

Congratulations on your decades of experience and thank you for your assurance. In my experience, I have accepted numerous hospital transfers by air that were not justified and the family often receives a bill that they cannot afford to pay.

I guess I just haven’t seen this rampant abuse of the air ambulance system that you’re describing.
Unfortunately, abuse exists and it became very prevalent after the shift from traditional programs to community based programs. Instead of it being a patient priority system it became a numbers game mostly based on flight volumes. However, the dynamics are changing on several levels and it will be interesting what operators remain independent. My guess is within 5 years there will be 2 maybe 3 primary air providers and the current level of overlap/competition will drop dramatically just in time for the current state level legal actions come to a head on the billing issues.

Back