House rental at AirVenture 2012

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
There has been discussion around renting an entire house for the week of AirVenture 2012 for the PoA crew an associated folks. Prices SEEM to run around $125/night/bedroom, but we'd be interested in taking the entire house for the entire week. Various people would come and go during that time. I'm not even sure how the logistics would work, but I wanted to see how many would be interested in pursuing this. Post on this thread if you're interested. Figure that I would need some sort of commitment of cash up front to reserve the house.

This helps insulate you from the "SloshKosh" effect and means you don't have to sleep in a tent. Of course, it means that you don't get to sleep in a tent, be woken up by the sound of a Ford Tri-Motor overhead, or participate in some of the camaraderie that can grow around sharing a shower building. So please don't jump all over me, saying that the real experience of Oshkosh is the camping, especially under your wing. I'm aware of that. A number of people expressed an interest in this option, and I'm trying to determine if it's feasible to try to pull it off.

I will say, though, that if this takes place, Leslie won't be doing her cooking at the tent this year; it will be at the house! Those of you who have been there for it know what that means!

There are a lot of logistics to consider, too, not the least of which is transportation.

So, put your ideas, make your suggestions, and register your interest on this thread.

I was looking at OSH stuff last night.

My wife and dad (!) have expressed interest in attending this year. They've both said A/C is a required item. We were poking around the idea of one of the motorhome/trailer rentals in Scholler.

This year isn't my year for the airplane unless something changes. (Probably break down in Nebraska again anyway.)

EAA website mentioned that local hotels *and* the college dorms are already fully booked NOW due to the loss of 330 rooms to renovation activities at the college this year.

Probably not going to fly out commercial. Renting a car is a pain. So we're likely to drive.

Have been hunting Craigslist looking at various motorhomes and trailers the Yukon can pull.

We *might* consider just buying a used camper since we'd use it for other things. We co-own a really beat up 1980 Coleman pop up with my wife's brother but we stopped using it because it's falling apart. (We honeymooned in the darn thing in 1995. We're kinda sick of it and fixing it every time we pull it out of his backyard.)

Instrument Rating first. Probably means the fun-money account won't have recovered enough to mess with buying a camper anyway, but there are some decent deals out there right now since its winter. Found a decent looking 1990 Winnebago with the 454 under the hood.

Ooh baby, 5 MPG and rolling in elderly couple style! LOL! I'd be Clark Griswold times 50. ;)

So... I'm posting to the thread mostly out of "heck if I know!" mode right now. ;)

I'm possible for the last 3-4 days of the week.
--------
Update - can't afford it. Just got offered a week in London over
New Years 2013. Gotta save up my pennies! A band I play with has
been invited over...

Last edited:
I did the house thing last year, never again, the logistics of getting to and from the airport cause issues. It also sucks having no place to retreat to if the rain shows up.

I have a co-worker that rents his house out each year. If you're interested, I can get his contact info for you. I believe his house is just north of 21, near 41 on Lake Butte des Morts.

I will not be going this year to many other things happening.
My wife liked the idea of motorhome/trailer rentals in Scholler. Being close but yet a "real" bed at night.
If the house thing works out and you do it again next year I would be interested.
Good luck either way.

Grant, I'm in at 125/night, for Sunday - Sunday (7 nights). If I don't drive out myself I'll rent a vehicle with room for 5+me as well.

I've ben thinking about doing this, too. Never been to Oshkosh before but a couple of buddies and my cousin have asked about going so a house seems appropriate.

I don't camp. Period. To me "roughing it" constitutes staying in an air conditioned hotel that lacks 12-year scotch.

Blah, blah, experience, blah, blah. I've experienced all the mosquitoes, humidity, rain, mud and BO that I'd care to for a fistful of lifetimes. Give me central air, dry clothes, a roof, wifi and a short glass with ice, thank you.

Will update.

I've done a house two years running, it has advantages, but the logistical nightmare of getting there and back is a real issue (and the hosts do pickup and drop-off).

Plus, I really felt like I was missing a lot.

The house is not air-conditioned, but that in itself was really not a problem.

Tommy and I plan on camping this year. It may well have down-sides, but what adventure doesn't?

I'm interested. Staying for 3 nights

I've ben thinking about doing this, too. Never been to Oshkosh before but a couple of buddies and my cousin have asked about going so a house seems appropriate.

I don't camp. Period. To me "roughing it" constitutes staying in an air conditioned hotel that lacks 12-year scotch.

Blah, blah, experience, blah, blah. I've experienced all the mosquitoes, humidity, rain, mud and BO that I'd care to for a fistful of lifetimes. Give me central air, dry clothes, a roof, wifi and a short glass with ice, thank you.

Will update.

I totally agree :)

I "roughed it" during 3 years of military service and 20 years of reserve duty...for me A/C, TV, WIFI and personal bathroom are a must....

if you can rent rooms with the above amenities - I'm interested....

I stayed at a house last year. Well actually I was in the garage with about 8 other men (paid considerably less than $125/night, though). This was a real crash pad, but it actually worked out pretty well. The location was directly across the street from GA parking. We crossed the street and were on the buses to and fro. This was ok. To me, a house that also required a car to get to the show would not be very attractive.

I think pitching a tent by Spike would be fun.

Will update.

You and Alan should meet. :)

(But Doug and I REALLY appreciated borrowing the "Taj Ma Tent" last year that Alan camped in once at Oshkosh while writing his dissertation in it! Huge!)

Reserved a 3 bed, 3 bath house with an extra futon just now. Staying Monday - Sunday. Gotta check with a couple of local folks, but there should be a spot open...

Pretty sure Tommy and I will be under the wing of a Beech 18, in Vintage.

I am half tempted to camper it. Danielle would enjoy it very much more. But I don't see much around here for camper rentals, and don't want a RV.

Very iffy but I might go and be interested. Whether I'm alone or not, I'll volunteer to take the least desireable room (aka we can and have fit both of us in a twin bed before so if one room has a twin only I'm ok with that).

What might stop me from going:

1. Whether or not I still have a job and have money and vacation time and approval for the time off

2. Not sure how serious everyone is but myself, Bob, and Troy were talking about him flying from OR to Gastons in his plane and us helping. There are lots of reasons Bob and I might not be able to make it happen so it is kind of Gastons vs. Air Venture for me (can't afford too many getaways each year). Also I forget when the Fly-B-Q normally is but as of now they haven't posted a date yet. I do not think I'm going to be able to make it to 6Y9.

Kimberly

Very iffy but I might go and be interested. Whether I'm alone or not, I'll volunteer to take the least desireable room (aka we can and have fit both of us in a twin bed before so if one room has a twin only I'm ok with that).

What might stop me from going:

1. Whether or not I still have a job and have money and vacation time and approval for the time off

2. Not sure how serious everyone is but myself, Bob, and Troy were talking about him flying from OR to Gastons in his plane and us helping. There are lots of reasons Bob and I might not be able to make it happen so it is kind of Gastons vs. Air Venture for me (can't afford too many getaways each year). Also I forget when the Fly-B-Q normally is but as of now they haven't posted a date yet. I do not think I'm going to be able to make it to 6Y9.

Kimberly
Does it make a difference if there are BABIES there? LOL!

Right now everything is up in the air, except for the fact that Leslie and I will be at KOSH.

Does it make a difference if there are BABIES there? LOL!

Right now everything is up in the air, except for the fact that Leslie and I will be at KOSH.

Grant, no of course not, and in fact I will have to tell you in person one day (and Leslie too) about my "no babies" joke. It actually goes back, for me, about ten years and has nothing to do with fly-ins or babies. I fully understand that Air Venture is a family friendly thing. All my friends are getting married and having kids so I'll have to get used to it at some point. And you remember, of course, at 6Y9, those two little ones hung out with me a lot! It was fun.

I did the house thing last year, never again, the logistics of getting to and from the airport cause issues. It also sucks having no place to retreat to if the rain shows up.

You just need to think outside the box, We went a house and get a uhaual for 19.99 a day the keep chairs and a cooler in the back of the uhaual for when it rains

I laud the efforts here, but sadly cannot contribute. I am one of those for whom camping with the aircraft is an essential part of the experience. That said, I'll be happy to swing by and help with the culinary chores.

Found a decent looking 1990 Winnebago with the 454 under the hood.

Ooh baby, 5 MPG and rolling in elderly couple style! LOL! I'd be Clark Griswold times 50. ;)

So... I'm posting to the thread mostly out of "heck if I know!" mode right now. ;)

$800 worth of cam and headers and you can get 8-9mpg out of a Class A with a 454. I built a 455 Olds up for an old GMC motor home and it would get 14 under 65. IMO if you can find a good old one of these, they are the best of the breed.

Just to bring closure to this thread, we will not be renting a house. We will be camping in Scholler again this year. I'll start a thread about that as we get closer in, unless someone else does it first. There are already a number of parties interested in a joint campsite, and I expect that is what will happen. Except it looks as if Leslie and I will not be the first ones there this year!

I'm in on the campsite and because 1/2 my food went bad because I kept eating with you we need to plan better and split chores... We need to rotate "cheif cook" responsibilities to let Leslie relax a bit more... I can take 2-3 breakfasts (I'm an early riser so I prefer breakfasts) and am willing to do a dinner/help with prep work. Hum... I feel a new thread comming on...

My OSH plans are still a bit unclear - work and other issues have arisen. I think at a minimum I'll make it out there for a day, and if things go well even longer, in which case count me in on camping and cooking and...

My OSH plans are still a bit unclear - work and other issues have arisen. I think at a minimum I'll make it out there for a day, and if things go well even longer, in which case count me in on camping and cooking and...

:confused: and I thought you, Tracey and I were car pooling.... :confused:

Back