HOUR ONE DONE

rchamble

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
rschamblee
Well today I officially started my flying lessons with hour 1 logged in the book. Look forward to future time spent in the left seat learning!!

My only complaint, and this is something that is going to have to give if I am going to continue to fly, and that is the headaches after I am done. It is similar to a motion headache but I think a lot of it is due to the headset pressing on my temple. Anybody have any solutions?

Well today I officially started my flying lessons with hour 1 logged in the book. Look forward to future time spent in the left seat learning!!

My only complaint, and this is something that is going to have to give if I am going to continue to fly, and that is the headaches after I am done. It is similar to a motion headache but I think a lot of it is due to the headset pressing on my temple. Anybody have any solutions?

Kool.....
Don't stop now...

Yeah, get a set of Bose A20s. They hold their value well should you decide to not keep on flying.

Yeah, get a set of Bose A20s. They hold their value well should you decide to not keep on flying.

I don't think I'd go quite that far, but I would say try on different headsets (and even try them for a lesson if you can). Different headsets fit different heads differently. (See what I did there? ;-) )

I can't wear any David Clark headsets that I've tried for more than 1/2 hours. My AVCOMM worked fine for me. The Telex ANRs I bought off eBay have been good.

But what's important is getting those that fit your head comfortably. PNR or ANR.

John

Not sure about the ones I used today.. They were just some cheap ones that came with rental plane.. I don't remember what brand they were but only 1 earpiece worked :) and they clamped my temples like a vice. My instructor had some Zulu airspeeds and he recommended me buying some good ones if I was going to continue flying.

he also recommended the Bose headsets

I use Quiet Technology Halos. No head clamp and cheaper. I forget that I even have them on. The best part about it for me is that it's easy to put on and take off my reading glasses and sun glasses.

See if your instructor will let you try his out. It could be just the pair you were using.

Or if you're like me and have an abnormally large head (you can tell by how much you hate the term 'one-size-fits-all' when it comes to hats), you can look into getting something like the Quiet Technologies Halo headset. It's an in-ear headset and incredibly comfortable. I used to get headaches after about an hour of flying in my regular headset, switched to these and did almost 3 hours of flying yesterday with no problem.

I got headaches early in my training, I am certain it was motion sickness. I never got the " I think im gonna hurl" feeling. I would be tired and have a headache. As far as headsets go, I like the idea someone else had, see if your instructor will let you try his.

Headaches can also be caused by dehydration, made even worse by adrenaline.

But the headset seems likely, especially if it's a cheap student beater.

Walk into a pilot store and try on headsets. Which you like will be very subjective, and wildly different from what other people like. I ended up getting a DRE 1001 with gel cups, which turns out to be a relatively cheap headset.

Cool! I used to get those headaches as well. The reason I was getting them turned out to be my sun glasses (Oakley Flak Jacket's to be exact) being thick near the ears and the stress added by the headset. Changed that with some thin frames and all good. Good luck, stick with it! :)

Headaches can be caused by information overload... The first few flights of training consists of that very thing......

It is like drinking out of a fire hose...

My guess is that is part of it...:dunno:.........:yes:

Maybe I can be of a little help. I've never had really bad motion sickness, but have encountered it somewhat from time to time since I was a kid on amusement rides and whatnot. My first intro flight I got pretty nauseous. My first real lesson, a little woozy but not too bad. So I did a little research, and pretty much the only thing the FAA will let you take for motion sickness (or for anything for that matter) is ginger root. I tried it the next few lessons (with a shot of pepto) and wasn't really bothered much while in the air plane, but had a similar feeling like you are describing for a little while after my flight. Forgot to take it before my fourth flight and felt the same as when I took it. Just completed my 6th lesson today, no ginger root, and I felt completely normal during and after the flight (did pattern work the whole time). Long story short, from my experience and what I have read, it just takes your body a little while to get used to flying in that small plane and that type of movement. After a few lessons it likely won't be an issue at all for you. Might try the ginger root, you can get it at Walgreens or anywhere else for a few flights and see if that helps. Eventually you probably won't even need it. Or you could probably just tough it out. Either way, Good Luck!

Cool! I used to get those headaches as well. The reason I was getting them turned out to be my sun glasses (Oakley Flak Jacket's to be exact) being thick near the ears and the stress added by the headset. Changed that with some thin frames and all good. Good luck, stick with it! :)
I had on some thick brimmed sun glasses today (costa) that was def between the ear muffs and my temple so that is a possibility..

Yea, I've never had any problems with nausea just those headaches when done..

Welcome to POA,and congrats on your first flight. Get a good headset,add some padding,should help out. Keep hydrated.

I use Quiet Technology Halos. No head clamp and cheaper. I forget that I even have them on. The best part about it for me is that it's easy to put on and take off my reading glasses and sun glasses.

For training, these are a good solution until you know you're in it for the long haul and want to spend on the upper end ANR's like the Bose A20's or Lightspeed Zulu.2's.

They fit in your ear, so no head clamping. Great sound fidelity, good hearing protection, excellent microphone. Excellent customer service.

And there is a good following, so if you ever choose to sell, there are plenty who are ready to snap them up.

www.quiettechnologies.com

Attachments

• index002006.jpg
    index002006.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 10
  • index002008.gif
    index002008.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Wow.. looks like Phillip finally updated the QT website. Some nice visual improvements there.

Welcome and nice job on your first voyage into flying! For headsets, I recommend either Clarity Aloft in earpiece they remove the head clamp issue with traditional headsets if you don't mind wearing an earpiece. I like mine since you can wear sunglasses and most time don't even notice they are there. If you want a regular one, the Bose or Lightspeed Zulu headsets are great as well.

I had on some thick brimmed sun glasses today (costa) that was def between the ear muffs and my temple so that is a possibility..

Yea, I've never had any problems with nausea just those headaches when done..

Sunglasses in the headsets can be painful. Are you using the 150? Next time I go to Starkville Ill look to see if I have an old pair of light speeds you can try. You can try my light speed Sierra's but I'd need them right back...those are my favorite that I own.

But that's AWESOME you have started training. Keep it up and keep me posted!

Many of the headset companies offer a 30-day free trial (or pay now, we'll refund the money in 30 days) so go try a number of them to see which you like best.

Yes, thick glasses temples will be a problem, as is dehydration. Another possibility that no one's brought up yet is carbon monoxide (CO) that may be in the cabin due to faulty heater muff or crack in the carburator tubing. I had the same problem - after an hour or so I had a splitting headache. Had the carb rebuilt, no more problems.

Well, that's not quite true. I still have problems, but not with the carb or heater leaking CO into the cabin.

Headaches can also be caused by dehydration, made even worse by adrenaline.

But the headset seems likely, especially if it's a cheap student beater.

Walk into a pilot store and try on headsets. Which you like will be very subjective, and wildly different from what other people like. I ended up getting a DRE 1001 with gel cups, which turns out to be a relatively cheap headset.

...or an avionics shop.

Bob Gardner

Sunglasses in the headsets can be painful. Are you using the 150? Next time I go to Starkville Ill look to see if I have an old pair of light speeds you can try. You can try my light speed Sierra's but I'd need them right back...those are my favorite that I own.

But that's AWESOME you have started training. Keep it up and keep me posted!

We flew in the 172 today but will prob start flying in the 152 just to save a little money.. I've decided on Tupelo just because of cost.. I'm thinking about buying a pair of QT Halos.

I'm going to second the QT Halo recommendation. I've done 80 hrs/year for the last 3 years with them and still love them. One thing to point out is that the ear canal inserts are shared with many other applications, I picked up some of these and they noticeably improved an already great headset http://www.complyfoampro.com/products/canal-tips-original/

We flew in the 172 today but will prob start flying in the 152 just to save a little money.. I've decided on Tupelo just because of cost.. I'm thinking about buying a pair of QT Halos.

One plus for you, QT is not that far from you in Mississippi.

One plus for you, QT is not that far from you in Mississippi.

After seeing this got me interested so went to the website and had no idea these things were made in Ridgeland, Ms.. Are they open to the public? may just have to drive down there and check them out if so

After seeing this got me interested so went to the website and had no idea these things were made in Ridgeland, Ms.. Are they open to the public? may just have to drive down there and check them out if so

Drive down?? I think I have to fly to ridgeland soon. When I do you are welcome to come along!;)

I flew down to pisgah this past weekend to a little grass strip for a fly in. Ridgeland is close..quick little flight..less than an hour.

Last edited:
Just remember that the first few flights are going to be a mental overload so a headache really isn't that abnormal. Couple that with a headset that isn't adjusted properly, or just plain won't fit and you've got a combo that screams headache.

Some say Dave Clarks don't fit them but I think they can be adjusted to fit just about anyone and Ive worn them for 3 hours straight without a problem. For the value they can't be beat.

This is actually a good question. I don't know whether they have a storefront or not. The company is run by Phil McCandless. Someone who knows him personally may have more information. He's an audiologist and a real pleasant guy to deal with. I always got the feeling that QT is a (very robust) side project for him, but I could be wrong about that. The Halos have such a following because it is a quality product at an extremely reasonable price.

Phil gives a 30-day guarantee on the Halos, so I always recommend folks try them if they don't mind in-ear headsets. The moment you flip on the radio to get the ATIS, you'll forget you even have a headset on.

They really do have a cult following, it seems like the Halo guys are a lot louder than the Bose/Lightspeed guys even though smaller in number

Back