Horten HX-2 Flying wing

Flyhound

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flyhound
Back in 2019, there was a lot of buzz around the new Horten HX-2 flying wing LSA. The buzz continued into early 2020, then everything went silent. What happened? It's a cool looking design. Did the European authorities ever certify the design? Did the company fail because of bad timing around the pandemic? inquiring minds want to know, and the internet hasn't been particularly helpful.
QTyu5zMl.jpg

Haven't heard a peep out of them since COVID hit.

It's a beautiful design, but when I looked at the specs, I had to ask "why would anyone get this". There was nothing that stood out as particularly great about it.

There was nothing that stood out as particularly great about it.

there's nothing great about biplanes either and yet... I will own a Staggerwing or biplane or some hotrod LSA one day when the family is grown.

a flying wing is just cool. I'd own one too if it fit the mission.

Can’t they get the engine any closer to your head?

It's a beautiful design, but when I looked at the specs, I had to ask "why would anyone get this". There was nothing that stood out as particularly great about it.
For the same reason you buy a sonex jet.... for the lulz

I’m trying to think of a design that would give you less visibility in all directions. Spirit of St. Louis maybe. Or a Mercury capsule.

Without computer fly by wire, aren't flying wings bad on yaw stability? It's why the original flying wing bomber didn't work out in the 50's, and only with fly by wire computer control such as with the B2 did the wing become practical.

At least this one has vertical stabilizers, the N-9M was flying up until an accident a few years ago sadly

Always thought the flying wing designs were cool especially what the Germans turned out..

N-9M
Screenshot_20221126-114040.png

Was an interesting read,looking to go four seats and fuel cells,probably won’t happen for quite a while.

Back