Hopefully moving to Colorado!

SPAJC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
So....I've applied for a job in Aurora, Colorado. If I get it, I will be moving sometime around late January to early February. Closest Airport I see is Centennial (KAPA). Any thoughts or experiences with this airport? That's where I'm thinking of home basing. I haven't done any research on it yet, just looking for good/bad experiences or advice on another field to use. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on where in Aurora, look at Front Range.

Renting or owner?

Hard to beat the selection and competition at APA if a renter. Lots of stuff to fly.

Owning, FTG is cheaper and less headaches with security, etc.

APA is just another sleepy little airport with nothing happening. Probably close next year because developers want the land....

:D

Owner...I thought about front range also. Not sure where my living situation will have me in relation to either. I'll look into Front Range as well. Thanks!

Owner...I thought about front range also. Not sure where my living situation will have me in relation to either. I'll look into Front Range as well. Thanks!
If you're in Aurora ( and there is only one reason anyone takes a job in Aurora from out of state....) FTG and APA are your most likely choices. You won't get a hangar at KAPA for under $500 unless it's a wooden one without power, fuel is expensive, 4-6 flight schools, you'll wait for all the bizjets to land/takeoff. It's one of the 3 busiest airports in the country, over 300K operations/year.

But it's got one of the best restaurants anywhere.

If you're in Aurora ( and there is only one reason anyone takes a job in Aurora from out of state....) FTG and APA are your most likely choices. You won't get a hangar at KAPA for under $500 unless it's a wooden one without power, fuel is expensive, 4-6 flight schools, you'll wait for all the bizjets to land/takeoff. It's one of the 3 busiest airports in the country, over 300K operations/year.

But it's got one of the best restaurants anywhere.

I hear bad things about A-Town, but no clue what the one reason to move there is....

Enlighten me?

Edit: Buckley AFB. Got it.

I'm an owner and I've been based at Centennial for 9 years. I love it. Yes, it's a bit expensive, and it's definitely busy, but these negatives are offset by its large and vibrant pilot community and the large number of options for parking your airplane. Also, as an owner, I can't understate the convenience of having an outstanding maintenance facility, Arapahoe Aero, right on the field. They have a key to my hangar so I never need to worry about delivering my airplanes to them when they need maintenance or annual inspections... they take care of everything.

There have been many a weekend day when I've just cruised the tarmac and hung out with my many pilot friends on the field either before or after a flight, or sometimes on days when we're not flying at all. It's a great place.

Appreciate it!!!! And, it has nothing to do with Buckley as far as I'm concerned....

I was kinda under the impression that Aurora was a nice place to be. I lived in The Springs growing up until I enlisted in the Marines. I loved it there but can't say I ever made it east of Denver....was my impression inaccurate?

I can say that when we sell this house, our next move will either be to Parker or Elizabeth. Those areas are awesome.

If someone was considering moving somewhere in Denver and was looking for something simple, relatively inexpensive (rent), and in a safe area, where would that someone look? He saw some places in Aurora and that area and didn't know the places to avoid.

No no no! You don't want to come to Colorado! It's awful here and no one likes it. Stay away while you still can....

It's so awful I think I'll stay and bite the bullet for everyone :devil:

But in all actuality, it's a great place! I dont really consider anything east of Denver Colorado, just "West Kansas"

Western CO is where it's at :)

No no no! You don't want to come to Colorado! It's awful here and no one likes it. Stay away while you still can....

But in all actuality, it's a great place! I dont really consider anything east of Denver Colorado, just "West Kansas"

And I was born in California to boot! :crazy:

Actually looking at the area with all the airports and considering heading there if I can't find anything here in OK anytime soon. Lots of airports up there. Just don't know much about the area or anything.

And I was born in California to boot! :crazy:

Actually looking at the area with all the airports and considering heading there if I can't find anything here in OK anytime soon. Lots of airports up there. Just don't know much about the area or anything.

Not sure what kind of job you are looking for but there are quite a few companies here.

If someone was considering moving somewhere in Denver and was looking for something simple, relatively inexpensive (rent), and in a safe area, where would that someone look? He saw some places in Aurora and that area and didn't know the places to avoid.

if it's inexpensive then it won't be so safe...

We've got plenty of openings around the Denver area but not in any of the places I'd like to go. If we had something in western CO, I'd apply.

Housing market has exploded in the past 18-25 months. Houses in my area have climbed 30-50% I'd sell, but where would I move to? I'm in SE Aurora, but inside I-25. Prices are going crazy.

True. I mean, I was paying 700 a month in a place where my car got broken into, 880 now and it's a place where it's much much more pleasant and safe. I expect to pay more for a reasonable area but I can only afford so much as it is.

Not sure what kind of job you are looking for but there are quite a few companies here.
Aviation. I'd like to try more jobs in it, right now I'm thinking airport ops isn't bad at all but depending on openings and all. And I'm not sure what I can do with an ERAU Aeronautics degree (not engineering etc).

We've got plenty of openings around the Denver area but not in any of the places I'd like to go. If we had something in western CO, I'd apply.

What's your company?

I most definitely agree....western Colorado would be great. I almost applied for a job in Estes Park. Most of the jobs that are up my alley are around the springs and Denver. Some in western but those weren't suitable I guess....

Well Aurora is a (small) step up from Commerce City...

Which is a small step up from Montbello. ;)

I can say that when we sell this house, our next move will either be to Parker or Elizabeth. Those areas are awesome.

We rather like E-town. Well, being 12 miles north-northeast of it, anyway. We get our own zip code up here. :)

Housing market has exploded in the past 18-25 months. Houses in my area have climbed 30-50% I'd sell, but where would I move to? I'm in SE Aurora, but inside I-25. Prices are going crazy.

Not going crazy. ARE crazy. It's a complete seller's market throughout the Metro right now. Zillow is calling Denver "unaffordable" now, and rightly so.

I saw what a young co-worker just paid for an 80's vintage townhouse and just about fell over. He paid nearly double what we bought a brand new condo in Lakewood for in the mid-90's and nearly what we paid for our solid brick two-story with detached garage in Centennial in 2001.

Not trying to discourage anyone, but beware you're walking into about the worst housing market for buyers that I've ever seen and the rental folks are saying occupancy rates are still above 95% with no signs of rental units being able to keep up with this latest boom cycle.

And it's Denver. We're getting close to being due for another bust in that never ending boom/bust cycle.

I most definitely agree....western Colorado would be great. I almost applied for a job in Estes Park. Most of the jobs that are up my alley are around the springs and Denver. Some in western but those weren't suitable I guess....

Wouldn't mind moving to GJT.

Neighbors lamented that "the city lights are getting closer" to us yesterday. It's noticeable. Still a lot of large ranches and other undevelopable land between us and Parker but the creeping crud of city life is slowly creeping this way.

Friend just sold an immaculate smaller ranch style out here with finished basement and large attached garage and 4 acres of land for only $100K more than the townhouse ran my coworker in Aurora.

It sold in three days on the market though, for full asking price. That's longer than some stories I've heard in town. The coworker that bought the townhouse was there the morning it listed and was offer number two.

I don't get that earlier comment: "there's only one reason to move to Aurora from out of state". Was that ever explained?

Why do people leave random thoughts such at that?

I don't get that earlier comment: "there's only one reason to move to Aurora from out of state". Was that ever explained?

Why do people leave random thoughts such at that?
The largest employer, and the reason the city exists, is Buckley AFB. Close Buckley, and the supporting companies, will either go out of business or shutter the local offices.

Y'all are welcome to come to western Colorado but employment opportunities are, indeed, limited. The best opportunities in the Grand Junction area right now are probably medical/nursing, with a VA hospital and two private sector hospitals. St. Mary's is the leader now but Community Hospital is in the process of building a whole new facility and their existing location will probably make way for expansion of Colorado Mesa University.
KGJT is a good airport but has had some recent controversy regarding management practices.
Alas, much of the economy of the area is tied to the oil & gas fields and "boom and bust" is exemplified here in a huge way.
Western Colorado is a desert, with less rainfall and snowfall than the front range. However, irrigation systems initiated over 100 years ago by farmers have made "the Grand Valley" pretty lush, with lots of apple, peach, & pear orchards, grape vineyards, and corn & grass/hay fields.
If you have access to Zillow or another real estate app, point it toward 81503 (nice homes in the "Redlands" area), or 81520 (lower cost homes &/or acreage in the town of Clifton). Going farther west to Fruita, Loma, or Mack will have even more sites with larger acreage.
You can also go farther south to Delta, Montrose, or even down to Telluride or Durango, but I haven't kept up with the activity in those areas lately.

I'm planning on quitting my job here in Silicon Valley and moving back to Colorado around middle of 2016, and the housing market in the Denver metro area is becoming as worrisome to me as the housing market here in Silicon Valley.

I'm planning on moving to the Evergreen or Genesee area, so I'm hoping they're not as caught up in the seller's market as actual metro Denver. Knowing my luck, they are.

I suppose I'll pay whatever I have to, however. At this point in my life, I'm absolutely sick to death of living in Silicon Valley, and can't wait to leave. I've been wanting to get back to the Rockies for years, so it's a quality-of-life thing for me. If I have to pay more to get my own house back in the mountains, so be it.

I'm planning on moving to the Evergreen or Genesee area, so I'm hoping they're not as caught up in the seller's market as actual metro Denver. Knowing my luck, they are.

I grew up in Evergreen :)

Now I go to school in Fort Collins.

We'll see where I find a job after graduation, I'm hoping to move to the Pacific NW.

I'm planning on quitting my job here in Silicon Valley and moving back to Colorado around middle of 2016, and the housing market in the Denver metro area is becoming as worrisome to me as the housing market here in Silicon Valley.

I suppose I'll pay whatever I have to, however. At this point in my life, I'm absolutely sick to death of living in Silicon Valley, and can't wait to leave. I've been wanting to get back to the Rockies for years, so it's a quality-of-life thing for me. If I have to pay more to get my own house back in the mountains, so be it.

Quality of life issue for my family as well. I have a decent paying job, although it could definitely be better. But, the quality of life here in SC sucks...they call it the dirty south for a reason, and I as well am ready to get back to the Rockies. I've been looking at real estate options though and find that the prices out there are very high compared to here. Even with about $30K/yr more pay than I make here, it doesn't seem like it would be a big difference in the end....so the biggest benefit, is the outdoors/mountains, which is the whole reason I want to move back to Colorado in the first place...I guess we'll see. Have to get the job first...thanks for all of the input!

Can't think of a time when Genesee wasn't overpriced. Ever. :)

Evergreen, it's an "x-burb" now after the widening and speeding up of the Evergreen Parkway exit off of I-70 to four divided lanes, years ago.

Has a full compliment of big box stores and what not, there near the interchange. I'm afraid you'll find the prices are higher than they should be for what you'll get.

Depends on how far away you are from a county maintained road. :)

Nice new gun store, though. I know the owners. Acquaintances anyway. Ham radio guys. Chat with them regularly.

I-70 westbound out of the city is often bumper to bumper during rush hour nowadays and worse during ski traffic. Multiple hour traffic jams west or east bound depending on time of day, on weekends in winter.

The guy I know that commutes from Evergreen to east Denver, works odd shifts so he can avoid the traffic.

My brother has a decent house in Aurora and the neighborhood doesn't seem bad at all.

I think Front Range would be a lot less headaches to base an airplane but that's just a visitor's impression. I only know Centennial a bit as my brother works there but busy seems like an understatement to me.

My brother has a decent house in Aurora and the neighborhood doesn't seem bad at all.

I think Front Range would be a lot less headaches to base an airplane but that's just a visitor's impression. I only know Centennial a bit as my brother works there but busy seems like an understatement to me.

Busy but generally efficient. Most owners depart 10 and boogie on out bypassing the 35/17 complex altogether when winds are calm. Depart 10, arrive 28. Especially if the sock is limp. Just have to ask for it and know if you can handle any crosswind.

Have arrived 10 a few times. They'll approve it with a call to airport ops since it doesn't meet the criteria for not hitting the tails of the taller bizjets on Alpha.

Also have gotten a 28 departure when traffic allowed and wind was howling out of the West. At night, T&G or full stop and go or taxi back on 28 is easy to get.

In general the way to avoid getting in a conga line is to avoid 17/35 altogether when possible. Rarely are they on the ATIS as options but you just ask.

Back