Hope you didnt buy a Navworks UAT

It would be nice if either party fully disclosed what the hell is going on since many people have already invested a large percentage of the value of their planes in the equipment and installation.

And the FAA's position that the cost of the AD is 85 bucks is a straight lie meant to diminish the actual cost of their arbitrary decision-making.

The FAA isn't going to disclose anything about the process internal to the business, only that the business did or didn't comply. We've gotten as much of their side of the story as we're gonna get. And as much as I dislike the decision, we don't know enough about it to call it arbitrary. They are saying Navworx isn't shipping what was certified. What we don't know is exactly what changed, why it was changed, how it was changed, and why the change process was not according to the certification rules. We've all heard the old saw "the road to hell is paved with good intention". Immediately assuming it was the feds fault and writing angry comments isn't going to help.

For all we know it could be anything from a paperwork error to bootleg parts. We just don't know the facts, and I think they're owed us.

Last edited:
BTW... I still haven't changed my mind about putting a NavWorx unit in my plane in a couple years. I'm sure they'll have everything sorted out by then. Or be out of business.:frown2:

If the intention here is to put them out of business this seems like the perfect way to do it. I could see why the high cost manufacturers would love to see them gone. But the FAA, they need to encourage competition out there.

The FAA isn't going to disclose anything about the process internal to the business, only that the business did or didn't comply. We've gotten as much of their side of the story as we're gonna get. And as much as I dislike the decision, we don't know enough about it to call it arbitrary. They are saying Navworx isn't shipping what was certified. What we don't know is exactly what changed, why it was changed, how it was changed, and why the change process was not according to the certification rules. We've all heard the old saw "the road to hell is paved with good intention". Immediately assuming it was the feds fault and writing angry comments isn't going to help.

For all we know it could be anything from a paperwork error to bootleg parts. We just don't know the facts, and I think they're owed us.

Wow! Reads like a press release from the Public Relations division of the FAA.

I was going to equip with a Navworx unit but unless this gets worked out, I won't equip at all.

BTW, When I wrote them my angry comments it helped me feel better...

IMHO, it's a good thing to go online and make your comments on the NPRM... The FAA's claim that this will be a major detriment to aviation safety is a reach at best. Thousands of military planes have yet to be ADSB equipped, and there isn't a whole lot of extra cash laying around to fix that either. You want to issue an AD? Sure, make the mandatory compliance date sometime in 2020, otherwise the company should have about 3+ years to figure the issue out.

Wow! Reads like a press release from the Public Relations division of the FAA.

I was going to equip with a Navworx unit but unless this gets worked out, I won't equip at all.

BTW, When I wrote them my angry comments it helped me feel better...

Terrific, glad it made you feel better. Insulting the people who might sympathize with those of us who actually bought the equipment and possibly make a plan to salvage the situation is a real contribution. Especially if it actually was Navworx's **** up.
'preciate it.
Now if you only knew anything about position sensor data integrity...

Last edited:
Could also be a F' up, or over reaction on the Feds part

Avidyne is familiar with Navworx products, has some experience with emergency AD's, and probably some relationship with the FAA as they've put more product through the system.. Also much deeper pockets. If the rumor is true, getting a fire sale price for the company as well.
Where it would leave support for current owners? 6 to 5 and pick 'em. Bill Moffit has promised support, so he could put that in the contract.

If I were a betting man....I wouldn't be betting on Avidyne. :D

btw....this thing is so hosed, it will take months to get thru the comment period and become an AD.....or better yet the HW/SW/paperwork is brought into compliance.

Back