Honolulu Fbo

ry2808

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ryan
Does anyone have experience with renting a plane at honolulu international or nearby airport? I'm going on vacation in march to honolulu and wouldn't mind renting a plane to do a siteseeing tour of my own.

Single tour? You'd need a checkout, may as well make it into a flightseeing trip. The CFI knows the area and you can give them the controls while you snap a picture.

I've done this from Kona on the big island.

Single tour? You'd need a checkout, may as well make it into a flightseeing trip. The CFI knows the area and you can give them the controls while you snap a picture.

Yeah, doing a little looking around and I see it probably is better to just take an instructor along. Might have to do two separate trips so the entire family gets to enjoy the experience, should be fun and exciting!

I will second Moore Air. I was out there in September and used them for a few hours. They were great.

I went up as a passenger, with my dad flying with an instructor and we did a really cool circle island tour a few years ago. The instructor gave an awesome tour and we got great pix.

In my experience, requirements for rentals in Hawaii are extremely stringent. The local FBOs do it, after a checkout, but they ask IR + 300 hours minimum - and maybe not even then. I also get a feeling that requirements are constantly ramped up. Some websites still have references to adventure courses and the like, but none of them exist in fact anymore. Even in 2005 it was much easier to rent solo.

They also can pronounce the reporting points on the radio. I haven't even tried the times I've flown in Hawaii.

In my experience, requirements for rentals in Hawaii are extremely stringent. The local FBOs do it, after a checkout, but they ask IR + 300 hours minimum - and maybe not even then. I also get a feeling that requirements are constantly ramped up. Some websites still have references to adventure courses and the like, but none of them exist in fact anymore. Even in 2005 it was much easier to rent solo.

I haven't run into that. But I haven't flown in Hawaii since 2007, so things may have changed. In any case, for a one time deal you are better off renting the plane dual and letting the CFI serve as tour guide and radio operator. I've had great luck with that in the past.

In my experience, requirements for rentals in Hawaii are extremely stringent. The local FBOs do it, after a checkout, but they ask IR + 300 hours minimum - and maybe not even then.
I can say that in the summer of 2010, you did NOT need an IR or 300 hrs to rent an airplane solo from Moore Air. You did need a checkout with a CFI first, but nothing ridiculous.

Back