Home made power cart

Flyingfanatic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Fanatic
Anyone here ever build a homemade power cart for a Cessna 172? M model.

It would be great to be able to power up the airplane without running down the battery so you can train on avionics.

Curious if anyone's done it here.

You mean a simple 12/14 volt battery system or a complete vacuum system and such. 12 volt battery "chargers" are available at Harbor Fright for a few bucks. That's hardly a power cart or full mule.

IF you really think such a device is usable, I'm willing to do a Kitplanes column on it, but I have my doubts that you'd be able to comprehend it.

Jim

So, you need to come up with a rectifier/converter that will handle your aircraft's power requirements, and can plug into the external plug.
That doesn't sound too difficult. And, you can reduce power requirements (hence cost) significantly by limiting what's turned on when you are external powered. (No exterior lights, no radios, no engine start capability, etc.)

Last edited:

It would be great to be able to power up the airplane without running down the battery so you can train on avionics.

How about a big battery with a charger to recharge between uses? My work uses this kind of setup for pre flights and hangar flying.

Think I paid about $130 shipped for mine several years ago. An extension cord plugged into 110v and (2) short wire and (2) alligator clips to clip the power supply to the bus bar and to ground. No external power receptacle on the airplane needed.

Last edited:
I'm sitting here getting a kick out of "rectifier/converter"... that's funny.

It's called ... a D.C. power supply. ;-)

172 M model... that's old enough it's a 12 volt system still, right?

You'll need a way to connect to the ground power plug. Those plugs aren't cheap, but they are probably the sanest and safest way. I don't know a source. I'm sure they're available though. I forget what they're called.

I believe you'll also find that Cessna disconnects the battery from the circuit when ground power is connected. They close a solenoid.

So make sure your power supply can handle the full load of whatever is turned on, in amps, with some margin, and don't run motors and what not. You'll have no help from the battery or any smoothing via the battery acting as a capacitor. It won't be in-circuit. Check your Cessna electrical diagram for the 172M to be sure, but most had the solenoid in that era.

Jim alluded to the vacuum system. I am assuming this is for "tinkering with the GPS" on the ground, and you don't need the non-electric gyros to spin up. Zero need for that stuff at all. Let us know if you need them, that becomes a whole different thing.

Nice Astron, Brian. The internal design of those is almost stupid-dumb, and there's some better designs out there, but my lord they made a lot of those things. I have an RS-20M and an RS-50A sitting within 15' of me as I type this. I know of an RS-70M that has been in service at nearly full load since 1984. (One of the capacitors has to give, one of these days...)

Now, with all that said, there ARE companies that'll sell you a "special" aviation themed ground power box. You know what's in it?

A D.C. power supply, fed via AC, a crowbar circuit for under-voltage, and high current draw, that disables it and lights an LED until you power it off to reset it.

It'll cost ten times what a D.C. Supply will cost. But it will also keep you from harming things when you hit the flap handle and the supply can't keep up.

The one I've used was in a pretty red powder coated case. They at least gave you that for your extra $700. And the proper connector for a Cessna power port.

Someone at the airport has a fancy powder coated aviation specific little box that also has a slot to shove a Garmin 430 into it. Again, hundreds of extra dollars for doing what Brian has in the photo above. All because it says "aviation" on it.

One final note: On old Cessnas, there's a way for one of the solenoids to fail in such a way that application of power to the ground power plug can backfired the starter solenoid. The ground power plugs are so little used, that it would never be caught ... until you plug in and the starter cranks. Be careful the first time you plug into an old Cessna ground power port, please. They're close to the prop and props being turned by a starter, hurt.

Yeah, so much for home made.

Well, I could go dig up four diodes and some filter caps, but it seems kinda silly to go to that much trouble to get D.C. power these days. ;-)

It's so impressive how cheap all the fun stuff has gotten with the advent of the Chinese building electronics. Yeah, quality hasn't always been there, but man... bench supplies with variable voltage and constant current from 0-30VDC and 0-10A or so, digital display, decent (not perfect) ripple and noise numbers, and switching so they don't weigh what that Astron 50 amp monster in the other room on the floor weighs, now nearly at commodity pricing. $150 easily buys a very nice piece of gear. It's no lab quality HP, but even those are on eBay for a song, now.

And digital scopes? Holy cow, they're not the best tool for every job, but a few hundred bucks now buys a scope that would have cost thousands when I started. 4 channel, huge capture depths, storage and capture, FFT analysis, digital decoding of about 30 different protocols right on the scope...

It's impressive what one can build for a home test and lab bench for only a few hundred bucks shipped to your door, these days. Amazing really.

I've got a pretty nice bench power supply sitting on my desk here. I got it off Amazon. Should be able to put out enough to power the avionics... Ran less than $100. Similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bench+power+supply

Of course, 2 12V car or marine batteries will work fine, you can use a cheap 12V charger to charge each separately.

I think he said 172 M model. It's likely 12V not 24V, but he hasn't said.

12V is even easier. Only need one car/marine battery.

Found a surplus 19" relay rack 24 V power supply/battery charger capable of 50 Amps constant load. Teamed it with an electric fork lift powered by a 24 volt battery. Made a pretty good "GPU" for small 24V aircraft.

You can buy one, ready to go for only $229.00 at Aircraft Spruce:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/portPowerCharger.php?clickkey=209890

It doesn't seem worth the effort to roll your own on one of these.

Depends on what you have lying around and if you know what to buy. A power supply that'll do the job is about $50-$70 max.

Similarly that WalMart starter/charger thing someone posted? That's a standard house alarm backup battery in a plastic case with a fuse. That's $15 in DIY form. I'd use a bigger battery, though.

For other projects and things I have 12 ... 70Ah 12VDC SLA batteries around here on constant rotating charge.

One of those, my little folding plastic luggage dolly, and a set of jumper cables, and I'd be hanging out in the hangar already, learning the new avionics. Free.

Have to know which pin is positive and which js negative on the Cessna power port, though. In other words... nothing rocket science in a Skyhawk power system, but if you don't know what you're doing -- buy the $229 box.

You can get the power plug from McMaster. some welding cable and a battery from walley world. Then a charger to charge the battery. Get the mini size furniture dolly to put the battery on. Or a cheap hand truck. Put some hooks on it to wind the cable one.

You can get the power plug from McMaster. some welding cable and a battery from walley world. Then a charger to charge the battery. Get the mini size furniture dolly to put the battery on. Or a cheap hand truck. Put some hooks on it to wind the cable one.

McMaster has freakin everything. If not then, Grainger. Ha. I love looking through both catalogs.

McMaster has freakin everything. If not then, Grainger. Ha. I love looking through both catalogs.

All this stuff they sell as "aviation" the manufacturers just source it and ink a part number on it. I believe McMaster has the inker to put the part number on things too.....

Back