Home Alarm Hardware/Companies

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
Now that I am retired, we might be doing a little more travelling so the house will be unoccupoed more often. I think that I'd like to have an alarm system and possibly some camera capibility.

For the alarm system, I'm thinking probably a wireless system hooked to a monitoring company by cell phone. Any recommendations, positive or negative, on hardware brands and on monitoring companies?

Cameras, if any, would be more for identifying perp after n event although it would be nice to see the front porch, driveway, and street from inside the house, maybe through an input on the smart TV.

After the fact cameras could be infra-red game cameras. Are there wi-fi TV cameras that could feed a recorder in the house somewhere as well as a wi-fi router that could be monitored by a computer and/or the smart TV.

We aren't "smart phone" people so smart phone features don't factor into our plans at this point.

Last edited:
I use ADT for security and it's pretty much what you describe less the ext cams. I have a separate system for that. Both are easily viewed by smart phone or computer via the web. ADT Pulse allows me to adjust thermostats, arm/disarm alarm, manipulate lights, and view interior (plug-in) cameras remotely. My exterior cams are viewed via an app or computer and the DVR that controls the system has continuous loop recording so I can step back a few hours and see who came to the door. Any local security company can do any or all of this and much more.

Vivint had become really popular in this area (just east of you) they operate on a cell signal vs. landline. They also offer wifi camera systems.

I am not a big believer in alarm systems as there is often a long period of time between the breaking and police notification/reaponse out in the country.

I do have an HD camera system at my house with DVR as well as live viewing via internet. I love it.

Find a good, local company that you can work with and that has references.

Make sure they work with a certified alarm/call center, a plus if the equipment can work with more than one center. Most of the equipment is standard: it's all in the installation, maintenance, call center, and scoping out the property for proper maintenance.

My experience with ADT was so bad in San Antonio that I refused to use them when I moved. Be careful of their contracts - many auto renew for 2 year (or longer) terms, so you'll virtually always owe a cancellation fee unless you cancel right at the end of the contract. Lousy install, lousy maintenance, costly, and cancellation hassles. Went through a similar issue changing billing and ultimately canceling the one in my parent's house. Never again with ADT.

Now that I am retired, we might be doing a little more travelling so the house will be unoccupoed more often. I think that I'd like to have an alarm system and possibly some camer capibility.

For the alarm system, I'm thinking probably a wireless system hooked to a monitoring company by cell phone. Any recommendations, positive or negative, on hardware brands and on monitoring companies?

Cameras, if any, would be more for identifying perp after n event although it would be nice to front porch, driveway, and street from inside the house, maybe through an input on the smart TV.

After the fact cameras could be infra-red game cameras. Are there wi-fi TV cameras that could feed a recorder in the house somewhere as well as a wi-fi router that could be monitored by a computer and/or the smart TV.

We aren't "smart phone" people so smart phone features don't factor into our plans at this point.

This is what my SIL does for a living. he should have your answers PM me if you would like to talk to him

I agree with Bill. Use a local company with solid references.

They'll have favorite gear they'll recommend but most will install anything you want if you feel like finding something different. For best results, go with their recommended system. It'll work the best for their end to end path to their alarm monitoring center and also they'll typically be better able to properly support it if something goes wrong with it.

We never intended to have a system, but ended up with one (unoccupied place we put the system on, then ended up moving into the place), but I credit the integrated smoke detectors with possibly saving our lives. Certainly can at least say they warned us considerably sooner than old standalone detectors would have, since the alarm is ungodly loud and it was around 3AM, and it also made it such that we had a call from their monitoring and dispatch center, within seconds of the detectors going off, ready to dispatch FD if needed.

That phone call was so fast, I honestly had to answer "We don't know yet" when they asked if we needed the FD. We were still figuring out the extent of the problem with the fire extinguisher in hand.

I want nothing to do with a national company that I can't call up and talk to one of the two owners and know them both by first name.

Plus you just don't see places like ADT have enough local knowledge to say things like, "Ahh, since you're out there that must be a well-fed water system for the house with a basement pressure tank? We'll make sure we bring some water sensors for the basement and mount those wherever needed. If you like we can also contract a plumber to install a whole house cut-off valve that can kill water flow if the water alarm trips, if you want."

The local company also had three possible ways to monitor: a) regular phone line, b) cellular low speed data device, and c) their own wireless data network. Option C isn't something you'll ever find at an ADT or similar.

I have several ADT accounts, most on cell transmitters. A quick response to a 1am alarm allowed the sheriffs dept. to catch a local druggie pretty much in the act.

Consider getting alarm and video from the same company with link to their monitoring center. If they can see someone inside, the call is a 'burglary in progress' rather than a 'alarm check' affecting call handling by the police.

When I was still working .. we had ADT for our building security system. They were good to work with and responsive.

When I retired and moved to FL a local ADT reseller called me and was EXTREMELY aggressive .. telling me they'd be over to install my security system on such and such date. I suspect they got my name from the power or phone companies. I didn't initiate a call with them. They were so aggressive that I told them finally that if they step foot on my property I'd have them arrested for trespassing. Obviously some local ADT affiliates are better and have more integrity than others.

At the suggestion of my neighbor (deputy sheriff) I called a local company and have been very happy with them.

Ask around.

RT

My home security company is Smith & Wesson.

Gotta put a plug in for SimpliSafe. I found them from a Dave Ramsey recommendation. Totally wireless and cellular, so no home phone line is needed. DIY installation that takes minutes. The best part is that there is NO CONTRACT... you can turn the monitoring on/off as you like (with a phone call). The monthly monitoring (if you elect to use it) is only $14.99. For $19 you get all sorts of extra stuff like SMS messages when doors are opened, etc. You can add water-leak sensors, freeze sensors, smoke etc.

I've had others, the ones that do 2-3 year contracts @ $49/mo. The ones that autorenew for a year at a time. Rip-offs, with better legal teams than customer service (so you won't be able to get out of the contract).

Last edited:
Yah.. CT4ME has what I was going to say....

I use a similar "peel and stick" solution (except each sensor is screwed into the wall)

The wireless stuff works great, including Z-wave locks and thermostats so I know from my phone or browser if anything needs attention.

Initial price will be 2-5 hundred depending on options but monitoring and no contract explain that. Also, if you choose to go break in only and then add fire, environment, etc you can buy the devices and hook them in with out getting hosed by the 'big guys'

Everything that I follow up on seems to have strong negative and strong positive reviews. I can't tell if it is random or maybe a matter of technically adept customers vs. not so adept. There is a local outfit that I've had some dealings with at the airport. I think I will tap into their experience. Thanks for the input.

Yah.. CT4ME has what I was going to say....

I use a similar "peel and stick" solution (except each sensor is screwed into the wall)

The wireless stuff works great, including Z-wave locks and thermostats so I know from my phone or browser if anything needs attention.

Initial price will be 2-5 hundred depending on options but monitoring and no contract explain that. Also, if you choose to go break in only and then add fire, environment, etc you can buy the devices and hook them in with out getting hosed by the 'big guys'

In some areas - the county I live in is one of those areas - it is required that you use certified/qualified installers. No do-it-yourself options. Other requirements, too, including annual registration/licensing. They got tired of all the false alarms which were at least an order of magnitude higher than legit calls..

Likewise, for insurance discounts, many companies require a certification from qualified installer.

Got any trusty relatives or friends willing to house-sit for a minimal stipend?

Haven't tried it myself yet, but have been considering it since we'll be doing some lengthy traveling this year.

When I retired and moved to FL a local ADT reseller called me and was EXTREMELY aggressive .. telling me they'd be over to install my security system on such and such date. I suspect they got my name from the power or phone companies. I didn't initiate a call with them. They were so aggressive that I told them finally that if they step foot on my property I'd have them arrested for trespassing. Obviously some local ADT affiliates are better and have more integrity than others.

For the business systems, I have only dealt with the local corporate ADT office. When I moved into a new house, I called ADT and got re-routed to one of their re-sellers. They were really pushy and painful to deal with and wanted to 'send someone over' although I told them not to. I tracked down the corporate accounts guy at the local ADT office and had him set up a private account. It looks like they try to hand off all the private home business to re-sellers.

For a new installation, I would ask around for a local company. They will usually contract out the call-center operation, but you have a local neck to strangle if there are issues with your install. ADT is pricey and their quality assurance for the installation side is not good.

I used LiveWatch/Safemart. It's a complete do it yourself wireless kit using the GE/Interlogix Simon XTI system (which is pretty standard in the industry). They walk you through everything. It's got really inexpensive monitoring to and they use the alarm.com interface so you can get at it through your phone apps or the web as well. I've been extremely happy. I have a similar system from a local alarm dealer down in NC and this is every bit as good except it's cheaper (the NC system is the older GE Concord technology).

Yes, Loudoun county requires a license but it just assures them that you have proper contact info on file with the police in case it goes off. It was trivial to take care of.

Yes, Loudoun county requires a license but it just assures them that you have proper contact info on file with the police in case it goes off. It was trivial to take care of.

I'm in Fairfax county. Tougher rules here. I hope Loudoun remains as you describe.

For the business systems, I have only dealt with the local corporate ADT office. When I moved into a new house, I called ADT and got re-routed to one of their re-sellers. They were really pushy and painful to deal with and wanted to 'send someone over' although I told them not to. I tracked down the corporate accounts guy at the local ADT office and had him set up a private account. It looks like they try to hand off all the private home business to re-sellers.

For a new installation, I would ask around for a local company. They will usually contract out the call-center operation, but you have a local neck to strangle if there are issues with your install. ADT is pricey and their quality assurance for the installation side is not good.

Commercial and residential alarm service was split at least a year ago. ADT only does residential. The commercial division is Tyco. The change required my commercial building's equipment to be changed so it was hard to miss. The alarm monitor calls come from two different places. Both have provided excellent service and that includes being in two states. My residential ADT contractors have been really good, too, both during original installs and the Pulse upgrades. And my contract costs have been reduced after the Pulse upgrades as well. What's not to like?

Gotta put a plug in for SimpliSafe. I found them from a Dave Ramsey recommendation. Totally wireless and cellular, so no home phone line is needed. DIY installation that takes minutes. The best part is that there is NO CONTRACT... you can turn the monitoring on/off as you like (with a phone call). The monthly monitoring (if you elect to use it) is only $14.99. For $19 you get all sorts of extra stuff like SMS messages when doors are opened, etc. You can add water-leak sensors, freeze sensors, smoke etc.

I've had others, the ones that do 2-3 year contracts @ $49/mo. The ones that autorenew for a year at a time. Rip-offs, with better legal teams than customer service (so you won't be able to get out of the contract).

Second this. We've had SimpliSafe for over a year, and love it. Great company!

I actually own a commercial security company (no residential) and have referred a few people to SimpliSafe for their homes. Interesting concept, and I like the lack of contracts.

Here are the things that I would watch out for (most already mentioned):

1) No long-term contracts
2) Cell/Radio (GSM) monitoring. Don't rely on phone lines and most systems don't work well over VoIP.
3) "Free installations" are anything but and will always require a contract
4) Make sure your local municipality will allow DIY (if that's what you decide to do) and don't forget the alarm permit. Fines can be nasty.

Many of the alarm control panels these days have cell connects. The GE ones for the past decade have had that feature. Just makes sense.

Livewatch/Safemart has no contract. You pay for the equipment up front but it is at a very reasonable price and as long as you can climb a step stool to put the sensors where they need to be, you can install it. It's dirt simple and if needed they'll walk you through it. You can add/change stuff at any time and unlike some "professionally" installed systems, they give you all the codes for your system so you can do whatever you like with it. (Amusingly my other "professional" alarm company didn't give me the codes, but they also didn't change them from what GE sets them too by default).

Funny.

I was a security system contractor.

I want to get a life alert system without paying a ridiculous $50 a month...being that I know it takes all of two pairs of wires to add it to a system.

I guess these days there's something about the liability risk that keeps companies from offering the life alert option.

In the end I've decided to call an old former competitor buddy.

Many of the alarm control panels these days have cell connects. The GE ones for the past decade have had that feature. Just makes sense.

There are retrofit adapters for any type of system. Dry contacts, phone line, serial port, doesn't really matter... Adapted over to cell, or private radio system.

The newer players won't have a clue about them though. Have to work with a company who's been around since ringing bells and telephone lines with voltage monitoring, to find someone with a clue, usually.

All the new folks know is the GE panels.

You can also get into other special needs like knowing the system is "alive" more often than every few hours. Most systems nowadays check in infrequently but do have a battery backup and check in immediately with a power loss status. Which generally is ignored.

But if you need it up and truly 24/7 monitored even if the power to the building is cut, there's ways to do that...

For the RF based systems, asking how they behave in a jamming scenario is also important for some. Jam a sensor? Jam the back haul?

Just depends on how "secure" you want to go. All available for a price.

ADT has a great technical solution, but their contracts are horrible from the customer POV.

My wife's business has multiple locations and until recently we've used local 'no contract' alarm companies and just paid for the equipment.

On our latest office I self-installed a SimpleSafe system, and I love it. As I mentioned, ADT's contracts are show stoppers for any sensible business. The local companies are good financially, but use 1950s technology.

SimpleSafe is modern, cell based, easy to install, and it works! I love having my own dashboard so I can see when the alarm system is used and control it remotely, and I like getting text alerts if there is any kind of alarm anomaly.

Recommended.

Edited to add: Here in Austin SimpleSafe's monitoring system is acceptable to the city and our insurance carrier. You do need to pay the alarm permit fee in Austin.

Last edited:
Edited to add: Here in Austin SimpleSafe's monitoring system is acceptable to the city and our insurance carrier. You do need to pay the alarm permit fee in Austin.

Heh heh. You do see how funny that statement is, right? It's always amazing how "acceptable" anything becomes to bureaucracy when it suddenly generates revenue. :)

Sounds like Austin... Love the town, but it meets its stereotypes and enjoys doing so. Haha.

Heh heh. You do see how funny that statement is, right? It's always amazing how "acceptable" anything becomes to bureaucracy when it suddenly generates revenue. :)

Sounds like Austin... Love the town, but it meets its stereotypes and enjoys doing so. Haha.

You do understand that approximately 80% of home alarms are false, right? You know that many cities have had to add cops to the force to deal with these false alarms, right? Who should pay for that extra manpower? It's an extra cost to the city that should be reimbursed by those imposing the burden...the suckers who put in home alarm systems. Many municipalities also charge for responding to false alarms, and they should.

As a general statement regarding home alarms. The average police response time to a home alarm is 30 to 45 minutes (if they even respond). The average home burglary takes 10 minutes. Do the math. ADT and others are making a ton of money on the backs of local police departments and all the false alarms are keeping cops from doing real work.

Get a couple hundred feet of bare copper, string it across the windows and doors and plug it in.

You do understand that approximately 80% of home alarms are false, right?

In the communities who track this, the majority of those false alarms come from systems not installed and maintained by a contractor.

In the communities who track this, the majority of those false alarms come from systems not installed and maintained by a contractor.

95 to 98% of alarms are false according to this article (and many others I ran across) and you're saying that the majority are because of non-contractor installed systems?

I ain't buyin' it. Cite!

http://www.popcenter.org/problems/false_alarms

95 to 98% of alarms are false according to this article (and many others I ran across) and you're saying that the majority are because of non-contractor installed systems?

I ain't buyin' it. Cite!

http://www.popcenter.org/problems/false_alarms

The majority of false calls are the result of user error. The majority ofcalls due to technical issues come from a small minority of systems, and those are for the most part user installed or modified (motion detectors in areas with pets etc.)

I'll take that as an admission that you don't have data to back up your claim.

I'll take that as an admission that you don't have data to back up your claim.

Nothing peer reviewed double blinded readily available on the internet.

My statement is based on a conversation with the lady who runs the false alarm reduction unit. 10% of the permitted systems create 90% of the false alarms. After 3 alarms per year, they require an inspection certificate from a state licensed installer. Often the owners of those systems opt to deactivate the system rather than having it brought up to code.

The reason I had that conversation was not related to the mechanics of the system itself. My problem is related to the inability of 50 year old women to remember a 4 digit combination or to call me right away if they have set it off again.

You do understand that approximately 80% of home alarms are false, right? You know that many cities have had to add cops to the force to deal with these false alarms, right? Who should pay for that extra manpower? It's an extra cost to the city that should be reimbursed by those imposing the burden...the suckers who put in home alarm systems. Many municipalities also charge for responding to false alarms, and they should.

As a general statement regarding home alarms. The average police response time to a home alarm is 30 to 45 minutes (if they even respond). The average home burglary takes 10 minutes. Do the math. ADT and others are making a ton of money on the backs of local police departments and all the false alarms are keeping cops from doing real work.

Whaaaah. Do you want some cheese with that whine? Maybe a waambulance?

I did a stint as a 911 dispatcher pre-E911. I got the joy of answering the calls all night every few minutes from the malfunctioning cassette tape based alarms that had no recording, that couldn't be traced until Monday by the Bell System's finest. It was Friday night usually when they started.

All calls were logged manually then too, no computer aided dispatch. Our computer system was for running things on NCIC and we had the equivalent of "Notepad" for logging calls. It did a "fancy" auto save from a Function key and had a few keyboard shortcuts for standard things we typed, and it did its own time stamping in the margin. Pretty basic.

The Sheriff didn't hire any additional staff to deal with them. And we didn't need any.

Those old alarms back then, didn't go through an alarm monitoring company, they came in direct to dispatch.

ADT and others today, send them through their own dispatch centers and make at least an attempt to verify they're real (by calling the responsible party's number and checking) before the alarm is ever even reported to LE nowadays.

It's really rare for LE or FD to be contacted within the first ten minutes of any alarm unless it's a Class 1 Fire Alarm or a certified system. Certifying a cheap $100 system in a house is silly and those will still go through an alarm company dispatch center before they require any "additional staff" at the PD.

The money-making system behind it nowadays is mostly just that. Almost all jurisdictions here only handle the burglary alarms without a confirmation phone call that someone or something is definitely happening, on a workload-permitting basis.

I've listened to a couple larger jurisdictions here dispatch them out up to four or five hours after they went off, on a busy night.

Anyone who thinks PD is coming to stop the bad guy if there's even a single automotive accident to be handled, in any larger municipality, is fooling themselves on the usefulness of an alarm system.

FD, is a significantly different story, but as you've pointed out, false alarms for FD aren't given much leeway. If they're consistently happening, the fines go up steeply after the first occurrence.

Conversely, if it's a Class 1 Alarm in commercial space that's required for occupancy and your phone lines for monitoring it fail, many jurisdictions around here mandate that an odd-duty firefighter be hired for "fire watch" round the clock at a horrendously high hourly rate.

FD takes alarms much MUCH more seriously than PD unless someone has hit a panic button. They have no problem ignoring them to hours until the queue is empty and someone has time to drive by and take a look.

Methinks you've been drinking someone's koolaid by the looks of the response. Even the largest jurisdictions don't need to add much in the way of manpower to ignore most home alarms. And they know the insurance company will pay for whatever was stolen, if it's real.

Property loss isn't a high priority fore many busy city PDs and hasn't been since I was a little kid. Even non-injury auto accidents are down to "fill out your own 'police' report online and print it out for your insurance company" around here.

I figure best case on any home alarm is about an hour response time, and four or five isn't uncommon on a busy night. The only way anyone is speeding that up is with a human safety panic button.

FD, is a significantly different story, but as you've pointed out, false alarms for FD aren't given much leeway. If they're consistently happening, the fines go up steeply after the first occurrence.

And you can't get them to not come, no matter how much you try. A few years ago I was pulling cable around 3am in the new corporate building we were constructing. All of us were working around the clock for months basically.

We, as a team, were working with all of the alarm companies and I didn't know the system was even powered up yet, so when I saw a key that said "test" buried in a weird location..I turned it to see what would happen.

Well. It made a lot of damn noise, about fell off the ladder, very impressive, very loud system.

Immediately called our monitoring company, within seconds, and told them what I did. We had the alarm disabled within 20 seconds or so if it going off. I then immediately called the non-emergency number for the dispatch and told them what I did and what the address was and that I absolutely know there is no fire. They said no problem they'd let the fire department know.

About 10 minutes later a convoy of fire trucks came rushing up and I met them outside and explained once again I did everything I could to stop them from coming. They said they knew that, but policy is they come anyhow, and that they had to inspect the facility before they could leave.

Since I had real work to do that didn't involve escorting fire fighters through our whole building, I was pretty persistent that I wasn't going to permit them to inspect the facility and they eventually gave up and left...

Received a nasty letter about a month later :)

Last edited:
Over the last 5 years I have had maybe 20 false alarms and two real ones.

The great majority of the false alarms are staff errors (wrong code, setting 'away' while in the office, not locking front door and leaving etc.). I usually tell them to cancel right up front.

Two were technical false alarms. One was related to a glass-break sensor going off during a thunderstorm. The other one was during hurricane sandy. In absence of any internal alarms tripping, I told the company to cancel the response.

The two live alarms were:
- a break-in at 1am. Police responded within 90sec of the call and caught the perp after a high-speed chase. He spent 18 months in jail.
- an attempted robbery while a staff member was in the office. By the time I got there 5min later, the place was swarming with state-troopers.

So maybe there are places where the police doesn't respond, I guess I am lucky.

Whaaaah. Do you want some cheese with that whine? Maybe a waambulance?

Reading and understanding facts isn't your forte, is it?

Methinks you've been drinking someone's koolaid by the looks of the response. Even the largest jurisdictions don't need to add much in the way of manpower to ignore most home alarms.

Really? From Blackstone, Buck, and Hakim (2005)

In the United States in 2002, police responded to approximately 36 million alarm activations, at an estimated annual cost of $1.8 billion. Most of these activations were burglar alarms.

And that data is readily confirmed elsewhere.

You might want to do a bit of research before shooting off your mouth, Nate. The old saying "God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason" comes to mind.

Last edited:
Back