Holiday trips

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
We're heading off Tuesday for our annual holiday trip to see the family. Flying from Dallas to Winterhaven, FL to drop off my son; then, up to Greenville, SC to see my Daugher and family where we'll stay until after the New Year.

Where is everyone headed for the holidays?

Best,

Dave

On Tuesday I'll be picking up my mom in New York City and then heading down near Roanoke, Virginia to spend Christmas with the family. Hopefully in the Mooney, but driving if the weather doesn't cooperate. Coming back to Pennsylvania on the 27th, and then I'll then be heading back to New York for a long weekend New Years, but that will definitely be by car, as flying there from here doesn't save me any time, it just costs a lot more money and leaves me without a car to use.

Whatever everyone is doing, I hope you all have a great time of it. Stay warm, and get some flying in!

Assuming no WX issues, and that I get over this gosh-awful cold I have, T82 (Fredericksburg, TX) for the period 'twixt Christmas and New Year's Eve.

Where is everyone headed for the holidays?

Outside, to blow snow again.

-7ºF, and the wind's a-whippin'. Wind chill around -30ºF. Brrrrrrrr. *shiver*

KMSN 211715Z 27011G21KT 1 3/4SM -SN BLSN BKN026 BKN037 OVC044 M22/M26 A2991 RMK AO2 P0000 $

KMSN 211646Z 2117/2212 28012G22KT 3SM -SN BLSN SCT025 OVC045
TEMPO 2117/2121 1SM -SN BLSN BKN025 OVC045
FM212200 29010G20KT 6SM -SN BLSN SCT015 BKN030
FM220000 29010KT 6SM BLSN FEW020 SCT030

Outside, to blow snow again.

-7ºF, and the wind's a-whippin'. Wind chill around -30ºF. Brrrrrrrr. *shiver*

KMSN 211715Z 27011G21KT 1 3/4SM -SN BLSN BKN026 BKN037 OVC044 M22/M26 A2991 RMK AO2 P0000 $

KMSN 211646Z 2117/2212 28012G22KT 3SM -SN BLSN SCT025 OVC045
TEMPO 2117/2121 1SM -SN BLSN BKN025 OVC045
FM212200 29010G20KT 6SM -SN BLSN SCT015 BKN030
FM220000 29010KT 6SM BLSN FEW020 SCT030

Geesh Kent! I'm sending my nieces back there tomorrow from Dallas. I'm feeling very guilty sending them into that kinda stuff. Hopefully, American will get them home O.K.

Best,

Dave

Scott: Godspeed and better weather. Your home is now part of south Artica. Never mind the cold start; don't know if some plane will even run in that weather after they are warm. Burrrrr.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Scott: Godspeed and better weather. Your home is no part of south Artica. Never mind the cold start; don't know if some plane will even run in that weather after they are warm. Burrrrr.

Best,

Dave
I noticed on final into my last stop that the electric trim had stopped working. So I reached down to move the wheel by hand and it would not budge! It was frozen! YIKES! Glad the plane will be inside tonight and it will be a warm 11F tomorrow for the trip home. Other than that little item everything else seemed to run fine. I was a little worried about shock cooling and getting the engine locked up.

Driving to Texas, so I can finish off my glider rating with Tony.

Geesh Kent! I'm sending my nieces back there tomorrow from Dallas. I'm feeling very guilty sending them into that kinda stuff. Hopefully, American will get them home O.K.

Well Dave, ya did 'em a favor - It was a short-term thing. Today's high was 2ºF, tomorrow is supposed to be 12ºF and then in the mid-20's until Friday, when it's supposed to actually get above freezing (34)! I dunno if I buy that. ;)

I noticed on final into my last stop that the electric trim had stopped working. So I reached down to move the wheel by hand and it would not budge! It was frozen! YIKES! Glad the plane will be inside tonight and it will be a warm 11F tomorrow for the trip home. Other than that little item everything else seemed to run fine. I was a little worried about shock cooling and getting the engine locked up.

Yeowza, that's no good! Glad you made it on the ground before anything else got frozen!

driving to texas, so i can finish pete's commercial glider cert.

Just back from Prague. Will spend time with parents & family over the holidays.

A number of planes I've flown in subfreezing temps have frozen up in the trim. After learning that, I'd usually leave the plane trimmed for level flight until it froze, then it wouldn't be so much work to force the pitch in either direction as it would going totally opposite elevator to the frozen trim.

Flew down to Venice FL yesterday. I'm here for 2 weeks.

As a side note, if anyone has room for an extra passenger in their holiday travels, there are a number of animals that could use some transport. The group I work with has needs for transporting a number of animals (the past month has had a particularly large number of requested flights). As an example, I need a feeder to get a dog from near Atlanta (18A) to me in Wytheville, VA (KMKJ, intersections of I-81 and I-77) so I can take him up to New York, where he will continue on to Maine.

If anyone's interested in making it a happy Christmas for an unfortunate animal, send me a message.

Miraculously I'm off work from today until the day after Christmas, but unfortunately the wife has to work the next couple days. But, the day after X-mas I get to go to Newark again...at 4:45am!! I hope everyone has fun and stays warm and safe with whatever you're doing for the holidays!

Sue and I will fly via Mooney from Atlanta to Arlington, TX Christmas afternoon. We'll probably stay there until Sunday.

Sue and I will fly via Mooney from Atlanta to Arlington, TX Christmas afternoon. We'll probably stay there until Sunday.

Right.

Pretty much, get in to town when we leave, and leave right before we get back. I can take a hint.

We flew to KC yesterday in our King Air for a Chief's game (with friends who are involved with the team and have a nice suite) but the plane sat on the ramp for about 6 hours in 12F temp. When we fired up to come home the Avidyne display was a gray screen. After about 30 minutes I cycled it off/on, and it worked normally. After takeoff the yaw damp worked but the autopilot wouldn't engage. After about 45 minutes it worked fine for the remainder of the trip. When we retracted the gear after takeoff, the gear handle light wouldn't extinguish, just flickered for a while then stayed on. SAT at FL 240 was -31C. When we started to descend, the temp gage on the right engine stuck at 710 and wouldn't move. Everything evidently thawed out during descent into Dallas, and it all worked from about 7000' until we landed. Airplane has stayed in the mountains several times during colder conditions, but has never demonstrated any of the problems we saw yesterday.

We are trekking westward once again.

Our trip began with a delay when we discovered that despite temperatures above freezing, the wings, etc, were covered in a layer of ice. While we waited for the overcast to lift and the sun to melt the ice, the FBO owner suggested we pour water over the ice to melt it. About 4 gallons later, we were pulling up stakes and moving westward.

We were able to fly between the layers for the first two legs, but we noticed ice forming on the windscreen as we dropped down for a fuelling stop in West Virginia. We made it fine, but we were followed shortly by a Gulfstream whose de-ice had failed. He had picked up a lot of ice on the way down and did not intend to continue until repairs could be had. We stayed the night in Parkersburg, too. The next day WX brief told us there would be 70 to 80 knot headwinds all day long. We kept phoning, pleading for better news, but finally took the crew car back to the same motel. The third day, we sat around until after lunch waiting for the icy clouds to lift. Then, there was a break and we knew that we could break out into sunshine after just a thirty to fifty mile scud run. Off we went, with hopes high. Just 15 miles from the airport, the clouds came down and we were into them picking up ice. We did the compulsory 180* and returned to Parkersburg where about 1/8 inch of ice started falling off. When the line guy saw us walk back in, he just put the keys to the crew car onto the counter silently.

Finally, the next morning, we were able to get out and visited the kids and grandkids in Tulsa. An overnight stay with one. and then a dash to Ponca City to visit another daughter and her children. Since we were already late and don't know what to expect ffrom the weather, we flew off this afternoon from Ponca City and stopped in Borger, TX for fuel. Well, it turns out to be another overnight stop. We're trying to get to AEG tomorrow morning. Maybe we'll have to head south instead. We hope to reach Oceanside, CA tomorrow, but it doesn't look realistic.

Nice folks in Borger, they surely are, but not a helluva lot to do there.

the FBO owner suggested we pour water over the ice to melt it. About 4 gallons later, we were pulling up stakes and moving westward.

Yikes! Bad idea... That water can get into places and freeze, and potentially bind up your control surfaces. Better idea would be to use some hot towels. Better yet, a hangar. :yes:

Glad that didn't happen, and that you're out there flying and stimulating the aviation economy. :)

Be glad you landed in Borger instead of Pampa. Much more cosmopolitan. I lost track of your son's medical situation, is everything OK in Tulsa?
We are trekking westward once again.

Our trip began with a delay when we discovered that despite temperatures above freezing, the wings, etc, were covered in a layer of ice. While we waited for the overcast to lift and the sun to melt the ice, the FBO owner suggested we pour water over the ice to melt it. About 4 gallons later, we were pulling up stakes and moving westward.

We were able to fly between the layers for the first two legs, but we noticed ice forming on the windscreen as we dropped down for a fuelling stop in West Virginia. We made it fine, but we were followed shortly by a Gulfstream whose de-ice had failed. He had picked up a lot of ice on the way down and did not intend to continue until repairs could be had. We stayed the night in Parkersburg, too. The next day WX brief told us there would be 70 to 80 knot headwinds all day long. We kept phoning, pleading for better news, but finally took the crew car back to the same motel. The third day, we sat around until after lunch waiting for the icy clouds to lift. Then, there was a break and we knew that we could break out into sunshine after just a thirty to fifty mile scud run. Off we went, with hopes high. Just 15 miles from the airport, the clouds came down and we were into them picking up ice. We did the compulsory 180* and returned to Parkersburg where about 1/8 inch of ice started falling off. When the line guy saw us walk back in, he just put the keys to the crew car onto the counter silently.

Finally, the next morning, we were able to get out and visited the kids and grandkids in Tulsa. An overnight stay with one. and then a dash to Ponca City to visit another daughter and her children. Since we were already late and don't know what to expect ffrom the weather, we flew off this afternoon from Ponca City and stopped in Borger, TX for fuel. Well, it turns out to be another overnight stop. We're trying to get to AEG tomorrow morning. Maybe we'll have to head south instead. We hope to reach Oceanside, CA tomorrow, but it doesn't look realistic.

well my parents and the rest of the family just left in the car loaded up for Panama City, FL. they'll get there tomorrow sometime

That sounds like quite a trip, Peggy. Glad you made it safe!

well my parents and the rest of the family just left in the car loaded up for Panama City, FL. they'll get there tomorrow sometime

Tell 'em to say "Hi!" to Tristan while they're there...

Peggy if things keep up you will make it back from Oceanside in about 3 hours with the winds the way they are.

Yikes! Bad idea... That water can get into places and freeze, and potentially bind up your control surfaces. Better idea would be to use some hot towels. Better yet, a hangar. :yes:

Glad that didn't happen, and that you're out there flying and stimulating the aviation economy. :)
Wouldn't it b the same as rain? We leave it tied down in all weather.
Be glad you landed in Borger instead of Pampa. Much more cosmopolitan. I lost track of your son's medical situation, is everything OK in Tulsa?

He has feeling back in his hand and he realizes how really scary his situation was. It was touch and go for awhile whether he would keep his arm. Also for awhile they were not sure he would survive and he is furious that they had him sign a DNR while he was so drugged up he had no idea what it was, nor did he remember it.

He has had some time to consider how lucky he is and that life is precious to him. My son grew up a lot in that time. We are proud of him. Looks like he completely dodged this particular bullet.

The kind of problem he had is pretty rare. 95% of the time, the treatment he was originally given would be correct, because usually the problem is a pinched nerve passing through from the chest to the arm. He turned out to be in the 5% who had a pinched artery. Turns out he is 1 in 200,000. Well, actually, we think he is 1 in a million, but what do we know? He is so very lucky in the choice of his wife. She is the one who insisted on an ultra-sound, which found the problem. Thanks for your good thoughts.
That sounds like quite a trip, Peggy. Glad you made it safe!
Still working on it! Still working our way west. Thanks for your well-wishes. We think of you whenever we fly by.
Peggy if things keep up you will make it back from Oceanside in about 3 hours with the winds the way they are.
rofl
But at this rate, that will be sometime in March.

We decided to stay home this year, and considering the situation in Seattle and Portland it was a great call. A lot of people in Alaska are losing their vacations right now due to the weather. When Alaska Air cancels a flight up here, there are no replacement seats - all flights, all airlines have been 100% booked (actually oversold) for weeks - you literally cannot get out of the state except by driving :yikes: unless you booked in November. Or GA I suppose!

We will be taking a three day weekend at a hot spring resort north of Fairbanks after Christmas Day.

We are calling it a day in Artesia, NM. Winds again. We are hoping to leave around 4 am tomorrow.

Wouldn't it b the same as rain? We leave it tied down in all weather.

There've been a couple times when I launched into cold air aloft after the plane sat outside in a hard rain resulting in the elevator trim freezing up. Like Kent said, if you must use water to melt ice on the plane, do it with hot, wet towels so the water doesn't get inside things and freeze.

We had light freezing rain forecast and METARS when we left
Addison this morning. Didn't get any ice in the climb and the ceilings were only 3,000; piece of cake. Great tail winds to Florida and neutral to SC. Baron will stay parked for awhile now as I become Grand Dad!

Best,

Dave

I'm leaving the Cherokee in the hanger.
Christmas at home withe the family.
Leaving the 26th for the U.P. in the 4 wheel drive truck and do some snowmobiling. WINTER,just can't get enough of it Yippee!!!!
My choice was the Bahamas, but the warden,err I mean wife loves to ride sleds. So off we go to 6Y9. I'll be doing high speed passes ,but at ground level.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good n-- grief it's cold outside.:yikes:
Everybody please have a safe Holiday.

Have a safe flight! The wife and I are driving to Nashville tonight and back home tomorrow night.

Between getting over acute brochitis, the loopiness of the drugs I am on, and the VERY nasty convective weather up near Nashville today, well we are driving the BMW! :D

kauskpnf leg

Attachments

• pnftrip.jpg
    pnftrip.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Have a safe flight! The wife and I are driving to Nashville tonight and back home tomorrow night.

Between getting over acute brochitis, the loopiness of the drugs I am on, and the VERY nasty convective weather up near Nashville today, well we are driving the BMW! :D

Hey Tom, hope you and the Mrs. made it here safely.

Back