Holiday Trip

Thursday I flew to Venice FL with a decent tailwind almost the whole way for once (10-30kt). I'll probably be paying that back on the way home though. Staying two whole weeks this time!

If the Baron is anything like the 310, it seems that weather patterns change to ensure a 15-20 kt headwind follows it around in all directions. This ends up making it the same speed as the Aztec, sadly. :(

Well I was thinkin' "hey diddle-diddle, straight up the middle" FTG PGA A20 (with a southerly route PGA A20 to avoid the big crack) and today that route would be great.

After looking at the forecast for Monday, not so much anymore. Looks like an end-around FTG SAF A20 is required for weather. Not much sense in going into the hills if there's much moisture. The trip down the front range can be exciting enough this time of year...

The drive would be 13 hours so adding an hour or so for the end run won't be bad at all.

Went to Pueblo on Friday (PUB - boring trip the whole time except coming home scattered at 8500 between PUB & COS and far too much traffic along the Front Range. That meant I did 7500 until I got to COS then up to 9500 over Palmer Divide. Unfortunately, had to keep dropping to 6500 to avoid traffic that was not talking to anybody and I could never find them.

Don't know what Sunday will be like - need to go out and fill the tanks regardless.

Last edited:
If the Baron is anything like the 310, it seems that weather patterns change to ensure a 15-20 kt headwind follows it around in all directions. This ends up making it the same speed as the Aztec, sadly. :(
Apparently not, must be the Beechcraft quality advantage over Cessna:D. It does seem that headwinds occur more often than tailwinds and they're generally stronger than the less frequent tailwinds.

Apparently not, must be the Beechcraft quality advantage over Cessna:D. It does seem that headwinds occur more often than tailwinds and they're generally stronger than the less frequent tailwinds.

Well, I suppose it's time to buy a Duke then to enjoy me some of that Beechcraft quality. :D

Back