Holiday Trip

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
We are on our way. Left BDR around 1:00 and arrived Myrtle Beach just after nightfall. FBO closes at 8:00 and opens at 7:00. Works out ok for us. Very friendly lineman waved us to parking and fueled us. Walked right up to the door after shutdown and greeted, "Hello, Captain. What can I do for you?" Less friendly counter woman charged us for fuel plus $10 overnight fee. Super 8 Motel about 1/4 mile walk, ok with our overnight stuff, including CPAP. Nice folks gave us the airport rate.

Stopped in Virginia for fuel, too.

Now that we are below the storm, will head west, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas?, Oklahoma. With 40 kt headwinds probably won't make Oklahoma today.

So far, I'm flying and Hubby is doing radios and navigation. Had nice tailwinds and light to moderate turbulance in some parts, but as soon as the sky reddened, it got smooth as silk.

Happy flying and happy holidays to you all.

First fuel stop today at Barnwell, SC. Winds coming in to land were pushing me all over the place. Made up for the greaser last night.

Barnwell FBO is very nice, modern, clean. Three guys here it seems with nothing to do.

Our next stop will be Columbus, GA. Checking the weather and it looks like the next leg belongs to Hubby ifr.

[Edited]

Last edited:
Have a safe trip...could track if we had the tail number.
N4307R

Winds and turbbulence beat us up pretty good. 2.5 hours and we just made it to Macon, GA. Took both of us to fly the plane, look up airports, and work the radios while the plane bucked and heaved. Stopped here instead of two other airports because the 20 kt wind was straight down the runway. Decided not to test the 172 with that as a gusty crosswind. Looked at all the other factors and got a ride to another Super 8. Dinner soon. Now we hope for Tulsa by dinner-time tomorrow.:incazzato:

Thanks!

Good decisions.....kick back and relax tonight. Hope you have great wx tomorrow for the journey west.

Had ribs at GeorgiaBob's last night. Meat falls right off the bone.

:fcross: Hubby is in the process of filing IFR. Said I don't want to scud run. MCN - TUP - 4M2 - Airman Acres (or TUL) today.

Last edited:
Clearing off nicely up here at ATL - should be a nice flying day in this area.

As of this timestamp (not quite 10 am MST) they're about 3 minutes to TUP.

gotta love FlightAware!

We arrived before dark yesterday. I made my first grass landing in 10 years and it was fine. The plane is now tied down in our own backyard!!! We had a wonderful time with 2 children, their spouses, and 5 grandchildren. Today, we will go to Ponca City for another child, spouse, and countless grand and great-grandchildren.

Anybody in the Tulsa or Ponca area got a new spare tire? One of our has gone bald.

Last edited:
Since that last post we spent a day in Tulsa with family. Lauren has grow into a youg woman. The babies are all walking and adorable. Caty, in the middle tries to fade into the woodwork. Their parets are happy, healthy, and overworked. All is right in the world.

Then we flew to Ponca City to visit with 3 more grand children. Little Emily is in first grade and wanted to do spelling games and wii fit all the time. Tyler loved talking about sports and hunting. We got to see Josh in a Christmas play and then we all drove through the display of lights around Ponca Lake. Emily gave up her bed for us, then te next day Tyler saw us off after we met and visited a student pilot and his LSA.

After a deviation to HUT Hutchinson, KS to repace a tire we headed west again. HQG Hugoton, KS is a tiny place where we got a crew car and McD for lunch. The green circles of Kansas gave way to the brown and black of New Mexico. Just as the sun set we arrived at SAF Santa Fe. Met a couple of Navy fliers at the FBO and shared a cab into town. One was a student, the other his CFI. The student was on his long cross-country from Corpus Christie to Las Cruces to Santa Fe, returning the next day. Air got really rough and the terrain rose to over 7,000 feet, so Don took over the last hour or more of the flight. He hasn't gotten to fly much this trip because it has been mostly VFR and smooth.

I'm having trouble getting my breath this morning, so he will probably get more flying. Weather is going to be a problem. Looks like we will get about 6 hours of flyng today before stopping at HII Lake Havasu City to let the storms pass. Then we wil head for Chico,CA, bypassing Oceanside this year because John's family are on a visit to Mexico.

Isn't anyone else making a holiday trip?

DRIVING to Iowa. Had hoped to be able to fly the 4 hrs instead of driving 16, but typical midwest winter weather has put the kabosh to that idea.

Planning to fly to A20 and return (FTG) in the week between Xmas and New Years but it's more of a vacation than a holiday thing.

SAF is a nice place to visit for a day or two. Hope you made it downtown for some good eats. The military folks seem to like it for x-c work. I visited with some Air Force youngsters on my last vist there. The turbo-mentors look like quite a ride and they were sure pushing them pretty hard on the cross wind practice.

My "holiday" trip is over today. I try not to travel during the holidays except for work which is unavoidable.

I try very hard not to travel during major holidays. I don't even get near a shopping mail until mid-January. Both are too crazy.

But may fly around someplace within a couple hours on Christmas Day just to get out of the house. Of course in Colorado, need to pack lunch - few of the FBOs are open, the small towns are locked up tight.

But may fly around someplace within a couple hours on Christmas Day just to get out of the house. Of course in Colorado, need to pack lunch - few of the FBOs are open, the small towns are locked up tight.
One Christmas, which may have been the first one after getting my private, I decided to go to the Nut Tree which is (was?) an airport restaurant in California. Obviously I'm not the brightest bulb around because it was closed... :idea:

Picnicing at an airport in Colorado on Christmas Day sounds cold. Of course we did have that sub-freezing BBQ at FTG. :D

Picnicing at an airport in Colorado on Christmas Day sounds cold. Of course we did have that sub-freezing BBQ at FTG. :D

The forecast high for Saturday is 47 F, we could burn some burgers if ya wanta?

The forecast high for Saturday is 47 F, we could burn some burgers if ya wanta?

Warmer than last time....
:rofl:

Well, I am "available" as far as work is concerned on Saturday and that means my leash is within about an hour or so of APA so I can't realistically do a flight anywhere. FTG is a possibility or you guys can fly to APA. :idea:

Our hangar is heated. :rofl:

But no BBQ equipment. :dunno:

Does that count?

I'm thinkin' that's more of a show-off thing. Sorta like my microwave. I'm thinkin' the best ya'll can do is order pizza and say something like "hey, quit yer bitchin', it's pizza!" but what do I know?

I'm thinkin' the best ya'll can do is order pizza and say something like "hey, quit yer bitchin', it's pizza!" but what do I know?
It'll be the same story as my Nut Tree trip. Order pizza? On Christmas? Of course there is frozen pizza but then it's back to the oven (which is not big enough for a pizza anyway).

So does this mean we plan to have pizza at Mari's hangar on Sunday?

So does this mean we plan to have pizza at Mari's hangar on Sunday?
You better mean Saturday not Sunday. Sunday we get to act like we are frax drivers. Saturday is a possibility. Usually there are not pop-ups on the holiday itself.

But, but, but we can't get pizza on Saturday!

Like Murphey says, bag lunches...

well...I can bring the toaster oven, which can handle a pizza (or a couple little ones). That way we can have a variety.

But since I live 10 min from APA, I'll probably drive down.

Put yer orders in ---DiGiorno, Calif Pizza, other? Toppings? Or we could each bring our favorite and share.

Remember to shop before 6 pm on Friday....

well...I can bring the toaster oven, which can handle a pizza (or a couple little ones). That way we can have a variety.

But since I live 10 min from APA, I'll probably drive down.

Put yer orders in ---DiGiorno, Calif Pizza, other? Toppings? Or we could each bring our favorite and share.

Remember to shop before 6 pm on Friday....
Oh my, if you are serious I could bring the pizza if you bring the oven. But is coming to my hangar very entertaining? I called Perfect Landing and they are closed, as expected. Also keep in mind that we could get a trip although probably not likely. The minute I say that though...

Oh my, if you are serious I could bring the pizza if you bring the oven. But is coming to my hangar very entertaining? I called Perfect Landing and they are closed, as expected. Also keep in mind that we could get a trip although probably not likely. The minute I say that though...

But warmer than Clark's....or mine.

OK, so no Christmas pizza party. Maybe next year, someplace warmer.

I'm certainly not serious...although maybe I'll fly Saturday or Sunday. It sounds like Frankenkota annual will be finished and I'd like to get a flight in before heading southwest.

Well, I'm doing a Lifeline flight on Monday, then we're flying down to Ft. Lauderdale (KFXE) to spend New Year's with Leslie's Mom. Looks like we'll bounce down to Key West (KEYW) during the 1st week of January.

I get to spend time at my house for Christmas - something that has been very rare this year!

Quechee VT after Christmas, via KLEB (Lebanon Municipal in NH) via Matrix.

SOOOOOOO much better than driving!

Well I was thinkin' "hey diddle-diddle, straight up the middle" FTG PGA A20 (with a southerly route PGA A20 to avoid the big crack) and today that route would be great.

After looking at the forecast for Monday, not so much anymore. Looks like an end-around FTG SAF A20 is required for weather. Not much sense in going into the hills if there's much moisture. The trip down the front range can be exciting enough this time of year...

The drive would be 13 hours so adding an hour or so for the end run won't be bad at all.

Thursday I flew to Venice FL with a decent tailwind almost the whole way for once (10-30kt). I'll probably be paying that back on the way home though. Staying two whole weeks this time!

Back