Hole in my Air Conditioner Compressor

jdfrey1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Frey
I own a 1981 Piper Turbo Saratoga (PA32R) and I just got back from a trip and had the shop take the plane in for an oil change. I got a call less than an hour later and my A&P said there were parts of my A/C compressor all over the lower cowling and a hole in the compressor (see the picture). Initial quotes sound like the compressor is going to cost around $2,000 and it may be difficult to even find in a short time. Does anyone know of a good source or have recommendations on this?

I'm actually considering removing the A/C system as even though it has been a "nice to have" it wasn't a must have. In the 3 years I've owned the plane I've only used it a few times. It is a lot of weight that I could get back in useful load, won't have the extra fuel burn and also won't have to worry about maintaining the system. Any thoughts or recommendations on this? It came from the factory with A/C. Would removing the system significantly affect the value of the airplane?

Attachments

• AC Compressor.jpg
    AC Compressor.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 110
jbweld and a doubler plate. Good to go!

Okay, that won't work. No help at all.

I see so many ads where the AC has been removed.

also no help at all, sorry.

It's a York. We used to sell those for $79.00.

Considering you've only used it a few times in 3 years, I'd say pull it.

I used to fly a toga with it and I'd much rather had the extra weight than the A/C.

Seems once removed they never work again. A/C in hot weather your pax. will love you for it or without it blame you. Fix it.

Being on the southern east coast, I'd much rather have the a/c then a little more cargo capacity.

It's a York. We used to sell those for $79.00.

Thanks, the Piper part number is 55-412. I want to make sure to get the correct one. Any recommendations on where I could get help cross-referencing the part number to the York? There is a 12-5516 stamped on the compressor as well.

Older mustangs and some early 70''s mopars take a york 12-5516

This compressor is indeed a York, but there were multiple versions of the compressor that all look very similar. Make sure you know what you're buying.

Personally I would try to fix it. This is just an old automotive unit, so do the leg work to try to find an appropriate replacement part.

In Michigan I wouldn't expect you'd use the AC much, but in much of the rest of the country, it's very nice to have. Personally I would fix it. The AC on the 414 has been inop since we got it, and that's becoming on the short list to get fixed. I've gone without AC for most of my flying career, but the planes I've flown that have had it were great.

Funny, I'm sure there's a Saratoga owner somewhere in Florida or Texas that would love to trade with you for an air-conditioned version, even if it did mean fixing a few parts.

Heck even my LSA has air conditioning. (Take the doors off) :)

Still no help at all.

I have lived in this house for the last 9 years with out A/C.

The new house has A/C. I only need it for about 4 months of the year, but it will be worth it, along with the pellet heaters.

Man.... 2000 bucks for a 75 buck part.... I am in the wrong business....

York makes a good compressor. Mopar and AMC used them for years...as well as some Fords.

Back