Holding short...

Watched the whole thing. What was I supposed to see? Hear?

I wonder how much of my data plan I just ate up...

I think he is telling us how he has the opportunity to operate at the same airport as the big iron.

My apologies. Some people like airplanes, especially the big ones. I thought it was pretty cool holding short when they landed a couple hundred feet from me.

Pretty cool.
I haven't gotten to follow the big guys. I dodge them in the air around here.

I think he is telling us how he has the opportunity to operate at the same airport as the big iron.

Right. If it's a small percentage of the population who are pilots, it's a very, very small percentage of those who got to train in Class Bravo. I'm very thankful for that, and know I'm a very lucky (blessed) guy.
I'm reminded of that when one of these big boys goes whizzing by me.

Right. If it's a small percentage of the population who are pilots, it's a very, very small percentage of those who got to train in Class Bravo. I'm very thankful for that, and know I'm a very lucky (blessed) guy.

Just continue to be on your toes regarding wake turbulence. I'd hate to read about a Hawaiian Hog turned Turtle.

My apologies. Some people like airplanes, especially the big ones. I thought it was pretty cool holding short when they landed a couple hundred feet from me.

No apologies necessary, it was very cool! Although I think in my LSA I'd be crapping myself if I saw that.:)

Just continue to be on your toes regarding wake turbulence. I'd hate to read about a Hawaiian Hog turned Turtle.

Roger that. Every CFI I've flown with preaches it. ATC is always on their toes reminding GA as well.

Back in the day it was always fun to be on the parallel with the Concorde at IAD. The pilot reported wind shear on the way down and my instructor pipes up to tower that we hadn't noticed any in the 170.

I wonder if the the big iron pilot that is behind WooPig's bugmasher has his video camera out and fondly remembering when he could fly smaller craft.

I wonder if the the big iron pilot that is behind WooPig's bugmasher has his video camera out and fondly remembering when he could fly smaller craft.

Interesting thought! And very probable, because back then he or she would have really been flying, instead of monitoring systems.

It goes the other way too. Last month we were in line behind a Cape Air 402 in Boston. It was a beautiful day, and the left seat guy had a window open with an arm lazily hanging out in the propwash. We watched them take off and I made the comment, "Damn, that looks like an assload of fun!"

Back in the day it was always fun to be on the parallel with the Concorde at IAD. The pilot reported wind shear on the way down and my instructor pipes up to tower that we hadn't noticed any in the 170.

I got a good chuckle out of that. That's awesome.

I just wish I was in Honolulu. 18deg F here in Denver. :crazy:

Crazy! I was just in Boulder two weekends ago, and it was 80 degrees. Shorts weather! :)

It's especially fun having one of those landing right behind you.

It's especially fun having one of those landing right behind you.

That happens quite a bit too and you know when Tower issues the final clearance and adds, "and so and so heavy is on a 3 mile final," really means, "hurry yo a$$ up, get on the ground, and get off my runway."

I would love to hear them slip up one day and give the heavy a warning about "caution wake turbulance from departing Cessna..."

The airport I fly out of has a delta plane that comes in after the tower is closed. One evening while out doing Practice approaches, we heard the delta plane coming in. We were on the ILS and they came on saying they were 10 miles or so out, We knew he would be on our but in a hurry, so we flew the ILS and did a touch and go. On our go we cautioned him of wake turbulence!:D They were cracking up on the radio!

It was cool that they had a sense of humor and it made our night.

I would love to hear them slip up one day and give the heavy a warning about "caution wake turbulance from departing Cessna..."
About two months ago, an ORD controller issued "caution prop wash departing Caravan" to a United 74 that was after me. He reported momentary loss of controlability due to my wake. :lol: I thanked tower as I've been waiting months to hear one of 'em say that.

Last edited:
I like operating around big iron. Don't know why, just do.

My favorite occurrence was taking off after a 4-ship of F-18s departed 2 by 2 ahead of us at KAUS. The whole plane vibrated from the afterburners. Cool!

Nice video. If I had removed my hand from the throttle when taking of and climbing out my CFI would have chewed my azz!

Nice video. If I had removed my hand from the throttle when taking of and climbing out my CFI would have chewed my azz!

How would he/she have expected you to change the radio once Tower told you to contact departure?

I've operated near medium iron (mostly A320s and B737s) but never a 747!

I had a KC135 tanker hot on my arse once when I landed... I forget where it was now. I short-fielded it and bailed at the first connector and barely made it off before that thing came screaming by. Closest I've even been to really big iron. Those things look like smoke-belching dragons in the "rear view" of a 172! :D

Cool video.

It is cool! My home airport KHUF used to have F-16s based here and they would go up usually once in the morning and again in the afternoon on certain days. Many times I'd have lessons right when they were departing. They'd usually depart in groups of 4. Nothing like sitting in a 152 watching 4 fighters take off w/full AB about 50-75 ft in front of you. It was frikkin awesome. You could feel the ground rumbling and vibrating as they started to roll.

Then I remember one time we had an air show at our field and the Thunderbirds were practicing on a Friday evening. I happened to be just getting back from a X-country and I shared the pattern with one of them for a few minutes.

There are times when flying when you just say to yourself, God this is awesome, and those are good examples!

We share the airport with the Air Force here in Charleston, SC. I did my private pilot training out of our Aero Club. It was always impressive waiting for the C-17's to come through doing their touch and goes. Also have AF fighters and now Boeing is buiding here and has their monster transport plane (Dreamlifter) that comes through. It looks like it swallowed another plane before it took off.

Doing my training at KSLC there are heavies at every turn. And with Hill AFB just a few miles north also had to deal with potential military traffic. Most of the time we didn't go up that way for training, but on one occasion my CFI and I had the opportunity to see a pair of F-16s rip by maybe 1000 ft above us. Not long after got nailed by their wake turbulence.

Back