Holding? Rules of thumb?

Probably. People from California assume that the world ends at the state borders, and people on the East Coast tend to assume that the world around that part of the world.

There is a big difference, however, between somewhere on the Atlantic Coast (of the USA) vs. the mid-Atlantic.

Hey all thanks for the helpful advice. I just started holds this afternoon and surprisingly they went extremely well. Extra thanks to POAr dtuuri for the instructional links. Much appreciated for those of you that chimed in!

Extra thanks to POAr dtuuri for the instructional links.
Happy to have been of service. :wink2: Here's the PM I sent you in hopes it serves others too:
I have a tutorial on holding at www.AvClicks.com . I revisit the subject now and then in subsequent lessons too.

There are simplistic solutions to entering, but the precise way is every bit as simple. There's no point to 'fudging' when doing it right is a piece of cake. Airline pilots have to be within +/- 5° on sim checks, so they came up with the simple trick I show.

Nobody, and I mean NObody, can prove they "Remain within the protected airspace" unless they either utilize this visualization trick or have an FAA Form 8260-2 in hand for the specific holding fix--because there are 31 different templates the FAA has to choose from and the one picked is only indicated there.

www.AvClicks.com is still under development--consider it a 'rough draft', please.

Dave Tuuri

Probably. People from California assume that the world ends at the state borders, and people on the East Coast tend to assume that the world around that part of the world.

There is a big difference, however, between somewhere on the Atlantic Coast (of the USA) vs. the mid-Atlantic.

Yes, God forbid, I should have added "states or region" a simple loook at my location puts you in Wilmington Delaware. :rolleyes:

I guess you mean "people on the East Coast tend to assume that the world REVOLVES around that part of the world. ;)

Relax....don't take life so serious...:)

When I was in my Insturment training... I printed out a large pic of a heading indicator.

I looked the other way - put my fingure on the pic - that number was my location (radial).

Did that again - that was my heading direction.

Did it again - that was the radial I was going to hold on.

Then I took those numbers and drew pictures and did what ever it took to figure out what heading to turn to - what my entry would be - and what direction I would turn to enter the hold.

I did this 3 times a day - got realy boreing and took a long time to start with - within 2 months I got real good at it - within 6 months - I could do it almost by instinct with no drawings.

This has been a big help to me!!

Practice, practice, practice - just remember - the air is not always the best classroom.

No need to draw on paper. Every IFR plane assigned a hold has an HSI or at a minimum a DG in the plane. If an HSI then put the tail of the needle on the radial your holding on. The hold fix is in the middle of the instrument. Just visualize the hold on the HSI and then navigate using the HSI.

If you just have a DG then it's the same only you have to navigate the hold with your OBS. But the hard part...visualizing the hold and figuring out the entry...can all be done on your DG. Just put the fix ing the center of either your DG or HSI and do your deal. They did teach all this in your instrument training right?

You start doing it that way (drawing the pattern), and you do it over and over. Eventually, you'll realize you know the right answer before you start drawing, and then you can stop doing the drawings.

:yeahthat: this is the best rule of thumb.

I think sometimes we take simple concepts and make them quite complicated. I think if you can visualize the holding pattern(using your chart) and know where you are in relation to the entry point, it is simple to visualize your track to the entry point. Then it is just a matter of seeing which entry technique is going to get you into the pattern most efficiently. I think the hardest part is the visualization. My CFII would always draw it out, and this always took longer than my visualization. Now on the written test I did use the 70 degree rule but in real life visualization has always worked.

Doug

Fly glass, look at it as you're going to do it, you can draw it with your finger in front of you, it's obvious at a glance. If it's a published hold, MLOD..

Last edited:
A lot of work and a lot of tax money went into making MLOD and terrain avoidance mapping happen and it's all about making things safer. Don't waste that investment, what do you think supports GPS and flew the shuttle to terrain map the earth? That's all tax money and buku quantities, Trillions spent, 1/3 or our national debt can be accounted for in the costs of accurate navigation and terrain mapping, 3D mapping even.

Fly glass, look at it as you're going to do it, you can draw it with your finger in front of you, it's obvious at a glance. If it's a published hold, MLOD..

If it's a published hold the FMS will determine the correct entry and fly the pattern for you.

Back