Holding question

Flying for 3 hours without checking the weather at all and even getting into that situation. I'm kinda new here. I see that has already been talked about. I just responded to the original post without reading all the responses first.

While it's wise to do so, I'm not aware of a requirement to check weather en route. And unless the avionics had a known deficiency when he took off, I think they would be hard pressed to call it an emergency of the pilot's own making, given that lost comm is so rare.

Flying for 3 hours without checking the weather at all and even getting into that situation. I'm kinda new here. I see that has already been talked about. I just responded to the original post without reading all the responses first.
The FAA would probably speak with the pilot and ask a lot of questions. And, in theory, the FAA could claim the pilot created the emergency and therefore could not avoid certificate action. Just not all that likely unless there are other factors at work.

I suppose they could get that data from Flight Service, but since there is no regulatory reason to either limit someone to their filed alternate or even think that's where they'd be going if they lost comm and then missed at their destination, it really doesn't matter, so it's not part of ATC's playbook.

In fact, I don't even think it's used if you don't make it to the destination. Pretty much they ALNOT every field in the vicinity and use your fuel on board stats and the last known point to determine the search area.

Back