Hobbs meter

coloradobluesky

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
coloradobluesky
Do I need FAA paperwork like an STC or something similar to install a Hobbs meter on an airplane that doesn't currently have one?

Do I need FAA paperwork like an STC or something similar to install a Hobbs meter on an airplane that doesn't currently have one?

Have you considered a clock with other internal options?

It might cost about the same install wise...

For $284 it can be wired to an oil pressure switch and be hobbs meter too.
http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/inpages/ei-chronometers.php
http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/pdf/sc5install.pdf

You'll still need the oil pressure switch. Depending on how your oil pressure gauge is connected to the engine it might be a piece of cake to put one in or a PITA,

I don't think I'd put a stand alone hobbs in. For whatever reason it seems like they fail often.

Last edited:
I think there are a few digital tachometers out there that can be wired to perform an additional function such as hobbs meter too.

What would be the benefit of a stand alone Hobbs meter,,if you have a recording tach ?

Rental. Pilots that are used to Hobbs hours dont like the tach hour and multiply method. They like the bigger number already figured out for them of the Hobbs.

It goes like this.
"But I can rent the other one for $20 and hour less"
"Yes but that's Hobbs, this is tach time"
"Yes, but thats a bigger number, so its better"

They just want that Hobbs number to write down in their logbook. Not have to multiply. Its what all the rentals do.

Last edited:
What would be the benefit of a stand alone Hobbs meter,,if you have a recording tach ?

Mechanical tachs run very very slow on the ground. Even some of the digital ones don't record hours until over a certain RPM like 1300.

I have a Hobbs meter on the gear switch which gives a much better indication of time in service than the recording tach would (if I had one).

Back