HOAs

When you get an HOA letter, do you...

• comply quietly

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • ask them to come do it for you

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • tell them to put their letter where the sun don't shine. no I am not talking about Erie PA

Votes: 21 91.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ed Guthrie said:
Yes, the 22 year old, shirtless hunk wielding any of those implements is of course any woman's perfect solution to the problem.:yes:

Oh, hell Ed, he can be, say 50 as long as he's got a nice bod to watch!

yo! another fufu drink while you grapple with that beer can, bud (-:

:blowingkisses:

Did she just diss us 60+ year olds?:yes: And I work out 3 times a week too. Man, that calls for another ice cream drumstick.
Ron

L10MAN said:
Did she just diss us 60+ year olds?:yes: And I work out 3 times a week too. Man, that calls for another ice cream drumstick.
Ron

Age has nothing to do with it ;)

I received a bill for $75 for annual homeowners association dues early this year (we built the house last year). If that is what every house in the subdivision pays, they're raking in a pretty good penny for doing essentially nothing other than enforcing covenants (there are several hundred houses in the subdivision and more going up daily).

The association does hold meetings about once every 3-4 months and sends out a newsletter every once in a while. From what I've read in the newsletter, I don't think I agree with a lot of stuff they want (or don't want). For instance, they're currently fighting expanding a street that would inconvenience a few, but benefit a lot of association members. I wonder if the association is a vehicle for a few people to push their own personal agenda.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to attend any of the meetings as they conflicted with work. I haven't paid my dues yet, either, and am debating whether I will. I know they can probably put a lien on my property, but I won't have to pay them until I sell. In the meantime, I can keep and use my money.

Does anyone know if homeowner association dues are tax deductible?

Joe Williams said:
I don't have an HOA, which means I can tell the world to stuff it, but I also have a neighbor that makes me see the usefulness of them. Turd just cut the grass in his backyard for the first time this spring so they could have a babyshower for his preggers daughter. Grass/weeds were above the top of the fence. The darn yards are only 13' x 30'. I cut mine in less than an hour with a $20 weed eater from Wal-Mart, an implement soon to be replaced. Now, after the party, they lazy SOB has a backyard full of trash. Renter, of course. They are supposed to be gone by July. If they aren't, I guess I'm going to have to yack at the owner, for all the good that will do. Still, I'd rather deal with the hassles of one pig neighbor than an HOA that thinks it has the right to tell me how to maintain MY property. Someone tells me to edge my lawn on my property, I get to tell them to bite my butt zits.

A home owners assiocation could be doing your dirty work for you.

L10MAN said:
Ron

not at all Ron. I was just targeting Mr. Ed for his 22yo comment.

if you are pretty to look at you can edge my lawn (-: :blowingkisses:

Carl:

I can only speak in generalities since laws vary state-to-state and I haven't read (and really don't want to read your association documents ;-))

That being said, HOA dues are not generally deductible for Federal Income Tax purposes.

If you wait for the Association to place a lien on your property, you will have most probably gone through a collections process for which you will be billed. Each notification you receive will have a cost, late fees can be assessed, attorney's bills can be recovered. Here in Texas, an HOA can foreclose--non judicially. There is substantial risk to the HOA as it doesn't know how much debt is on the unit and it is normally in a second lien position; however, there is a point where it's worth beginning the process to collect what is owed or to at least get a new owner in the unit that's contributing. Over the years I've been on several boards where the association has foreclosed. This was after a substantial period in arrears for non payment of dues. For other issues, I've seen fines, but not a foreclosure.

State legislatures are reviewing HOAs in many states including Texas. There are abuses; however, of the many associations I've been involved in, the vast majority of owners are happy once they understand where the money goes and why. The delima for all is people agree to be in the HOA and abide by their documents when they purchase a home. Many times they don't read the documents, or don't understand them and aren't willing to pay a professional to explain them to them. Then, after agreeing to everything in writing, they are mad at the HOA after they close.

An HOA is the neighbors chipping in to pay for what ever the costs to the association are. You normally must be presented with documents at closing. If you're not paying your dues, and you agreed to, your neighbors are carrying your costs and you are not living up to your agreement. At some point, the Association probably won't allow things to keep going like they are.

I'd suggest you at least look into it and understand it better before a 'situation' develops and you are facing an organization with professional management and representation for which you are contributing.

Best,

Dave

larrysb said:
Federal law supercedes their auuthority in this matter. The HOA can *NOT* prevent you from installing a TV, satellite or internet service antenna on your building, whether or not cable tv is available. Nor can your local government.

I can go dig up the actual code if need be, but that is the case.
QUOTE]

Actually, PRB-1 does not impact CC&Rs. It requires governmental agencies to make reasonable accomodation, but private contracts (and that's what CC&Rs are) are exempt. I wish that wasn't the case, but... If you have something that goes beyond PRB-1, I would be very interested in seeing it. Won't help me, but I'm sure there are others (e.g. at ARRL HQ) who would be most interested in seeing it.

Around here it's easy to put up an antenna - don't mount it on the roof. A ground mounted tower would be legal if it didn't impact someone's view (a major point of living where I do). Of course, my wife thinks "stupidradio" is one word, so stealth is the rule for my antennas. :D

Ghery said:
Around here it's easy to put up an antenna - don't mount it on the roof. A ground mounted tower would be legal if it didn't impact someone's view (a major point of living where I do). Of course, my wife thinks "stupidradio" is one word, so stealth is the rule for my antennas. :D
Just do what the local churches do with cell phone towers, make them look like a fake tree. I always wonder when I see that. Who do they think they're fooling? :dunno:

In our associations with regards to satelite dishes, we've asked that they be mounted where they are not visible from the street (or screened to the greatest amount possible). We've just not had a problem with it. Most owners are happy to work with us went they are informed of this and the vendors move/install it at no cost to the homeowner.

Dave

Had 4 issues with my HOA...

1. Just after moving in I received a letter saying I "installed a window without prior architectual approval." I didn't remember installing any such window, so I threw the letter away. The next letter was more angry at my lack of response. In the end, the small bathroom window the second floor was replaced prior to my purchse of the house. This one opened vertically instead of horizontally. After numerous telephone calls, the HOA board finally told me what was really wrong. When the prior owners made the replacement, they did not paint over the new nails in the trim. I guess this was visible from the street.

2. Installation of the satellite dish. I got another form letter. After a little dragging of my feet, I moved it to another location to the side of the chimney.

3. Installation of wireless DSL antenna. This time I couldn't move it due to reception and they gave up.

4. "Beer bottles in parking space." I'm sure they couldn't have been mine. :) I framed this letter.

In our 'cove', the common parking court for our units, they got very nasty over parking. There was one night where a neighbor parked infront of his garage and went inside. The car was there 5 minutes before the tow truck showed up to tow it. The neighbor had jumped into the car to move it but the driver decided to grab it with the truck. This caused damage to his car which in turn brought out the police, other neighbors, etc. None of the neighbors spoke up in defense of the parking patrol, but everyone felt it was a crazy situation.

I think we had one of the worst HOAs around. :)

update:

found a lawn guy to take care of it. since he's going to be out there anyway, asked for the full monty. he's going to take care of my flower beds, mulch, fertilize, edge, mow, weed whack, aerate, whatever else they do to make things pretty.

the HOA said no problem on timing - they know I am on top of it.

he also told me they gave out 103 non-compliance letters that day. wow.

last summer I never heard a peep and I sure as hell didn't edge it then. I guess they must have gotten new management or something.

woodstock said:
update:

found a lawn guy to take care of it. since he's going to be out there anyway, asked for the full monty. he's going to take care of my flower beds, mulch, fertilize, edge, mow, weed whack, aerate, whatever else they do to make things pretty.

the HOA said no problem on timing - they know I am on top of it.

he also told me they gave out 103 non-compliance letters that day. wow.

last summer I never heard a peep and I sure as hell didn't edge it then. I guess they must have gotten new management or something.

Seems to me two years inattention got their attention.

Back