hitching a ride to Oshkosh....

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
I've made up my mind. I'm going to Airventure this year. Already put in for the time off work and everything.

Looking at airline tickets and rental cars I figure to spend $600-$650.

My question is, how realistic would it be to find someone to hitch a ride with (from Salt Lake) I would rather fly GA and get the whole experience and spend that money to fuel somebody's plane. However, if it isn't reasonable, or would cost much more I'll buy my tickets now before they go up.

I've made up my mind. I'm going to Airventure this year. Already put in for the time off work and everything.

Looking at airline tickets and rental cars I figure to spend $600-$650.

My question is, how realistic would it be to find someone to hitch a ride with (from Salt Lake) I would rather fly GA and get the whole experience and spend that money to fuel somebody's plane. However, if it isn't reasonable, or would cost much more I'll buy my tickets now before they go up.

Have you checked out this site? https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/rideshare

Probably your best bet. Best of luck.

They'll let people in who didn't fly in via GA?
;)

They'll let people in who didn't fly in via GA?
;)
We tried to fly in GA last year, but they wouldn't let us in. At a few minutes after 8am on Monday as we approached FISK, we got the message that unless you had reservations, GA parking was full. So we skipped it and pointed the B towards Canada instead (which was our final destination anyway).

Get a homebuilt or an aircraft built in 1970 or earlier...

I drove to Oshkosh and camped out. It was a lot of fun, met a lot of friendly folks.

Flying in (or driving in as second best alternative) and camping on the field is the only way to go. Check out your local flying clubs, flying schools, put up a notice on their bulletin boards. Spread the word around locally.

I had an extra seat in the Aztec in 2015 and ended up calling a fellow who posted a notice on our flying club board looking to hitch a ride. Turned out he was an aviation safety professional and A320 pilot in his "spare time". Not only was he a great addition to round out our group of 4, but I sharpened up a lot of my procedures and improved myself as a pilot under his coaching. Made a new friend and we stay in touch even though he is now living and flying in Europe.

Most important you meet up with your prospective ride in advance. A small plane is a cosy space all the way from Salt Lake to OSH and back; made worse if you do not enjoy each other's company.

I'm thinking about flying my plane in this year. It's been a dream of mine for awhile. I've actually flown in twice before -- both times in a jet -- just not the same thing. I want to fly my plane. Not sure I want to camp, even though I'm outdoorsy... last time I was there it was the year that there were torrential downpours before the show and lots of the parking areas were pure mud. Perhaps I shall anyway, just for the experience.

I'm thinking about flying my plane in this year. It's been a dream of mine for awhile. I've actually flown in twice before -- both times in a jet -- just not the same thing. I want to fly my plane. Not sure I want to camp, even though I'm outdoorsy... last time I was there it was the year that there were torrential downpours before the show and lots of the parking areas were pure mud. Perhaps I shall anyway, just for the experience.

If you fly your airplane in to OSH and don't camp with it you'll really be missing one of the best parts of being there.

Thunderstorms, with their accompanying heavy rain and high winds that flatten campgrounds, are always a threat at that time of year. From the picture looks like you are flying a Seneca, so lots of space. I have a lightweight blast tarp for the tent that I can bungee on the windward side. Keep your clothes duffle and other things you must keep dry off the ground in the airplane baggage compartment. I take a few other similar precautions and even storm aftermath can be managed without major discomfort.

I can fold down the rear seats in the Lance and basically make a bed frame. Or, pull them out and slip in a coffin! :p

I can fold down the rear seats in the Lance and basically make a bed frame. Or, pull them out and slip in a coffin! :p

When I flew 135 in a Lance I did exactly that. A couple coffins, and a few that were embalmed but not in a coffin yet. Fun when you're flying around thunderstorms and the body's head is almost up between the sheets, covered only by a sheet. The crap you do to build hours right?

I can fold down the rear seats in the Lance...Or, pull them out and slip in a coffin! :p

Well that's definitely one up on any Cirrus :D

When I flew 135 in a Lance I did exactly that. A couple coffins, and a few that were embalmed but not in a coffin yet. Fun when you're flying around thunderstorms and the body's head is almost up between the sheets, covered only by a sheet. The crap you do to build hours right?

:frown2: I don't wanna know any more:nonod:

:frown2: I don't wanna know any more:nonod:

Back when I was a line guy, this guy comes in in a Cherokee six with a body. I guess he needed to bring his body bag back with him, because the pilot and the hearse driver proceeded to swap him out right there on the ramp. That was 30 years ago and I can still picture the old guy's hair blowing in the wind.

I usually go into Appleton and bus it to the show. Have also done green bay ,might do Osh this year,may try camping.

There's a good chance I'll be leaving for OSH out of Park City this year.... how long are you planning to go for?

Good luck. I've flown in and drove in. While driving in is admittedly lower stress ( Being from Chicago -driving means I get to bring more stuff and it takes just as long), flying/camping is really quite an exciting and unforgettable experience!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

There's a good chance I'll be leaving for OSH out of Park City this year.... how long are you planning to go for?

Not sure who this is for -- speaking for me and at least one of my buddies, we're earmarking at least 3, up to 5 days at the show. We'll all be flying in from northern New Jersey.

Ever since we started talking about it today we're pretty excited. I think this is happening.

I put in for the whole week off, but would be open.

When do you think you would know for sure?

Not sure who this is for -- speaking for me and at least one of my buddies, we're earmarking at least 3, up to 5 days at the show. We'll all be flying in from northern New Jersey.

Ever since we started talking about it today we're pretty excited. I think this is happening.

I imagine he's talking to me. Park City is about 45 minutes from Salt Lake

Appleton is a great backup to landing at KOSH. The shuttle bus is cheap.

This is the best way to come in commercial for sure. Twice, I've done it. One time I was in California for business and Margy flew the Navion out. I had thrown her mini-tent into my luggage in case I beat her there. Just walked through the terminal and stepped on the bus.

In 2004, I had spent three weeks in Australia right before the show and couldn't take any more time off. I flew to OSH, spent one weekend, flew home and then back catching more of the show, then flew the Navion back. This time I chatted up the guy next to me and found he had reserved a rental car . He gave me a lift in exchange for me knowing how to get there!

I imagine he's talking to me. Park City is about 45 minutes from Salt Lake

Yeah, oops. Well, maybe a meet-up anyway at OSH! I love Park City. Have flown into Heber a few times for work. Hiked Mt. Timpanogos. Have always told my wife I'd like to take the family there sometime in our little plane for a vacation. Beautiful area.

Yeah, oops. Well, maybe a meet-up anyway at OSH! I love Park City. Have flown into Heber a few times for work. Hiked Mt. Timpanogos. Have always told my wife I'd like to take the family there sometime in our little plane for a vacation. Beautiful area.

You should. If you do hit me up, can meet for some hot chocolate and pie.

if your going to OSH plan to arrive Saturday or early as hell Sunday am. and pray for no runway incidents/closures, or green RV's. FISK was a mess last year around lunch due to incidents taking out 9/27.

and general camping was full by Monday am anyway.

Is it allowable to arrive Friday PM?

Is it allowable to arrive Friday PM?
You can arrive up until 8PM. The field locks down at 8 until 6AM the next morning. Officially the Ripon transition doesn't turn on until 7AM I think.

Back