Hitchhiking from Europe to the US

Hitchhiking Dog

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sev
Hello,
Me and my two big boys ( dogs) are looking to hitchhike from Europe ( Switzerland, France, or nearby country) to the US. We are flexible on the date and destination. If no one is willing to take the three of us, maybe I'll just have my bigger dog hitchhike by himself, he's very sensitive and cargo won't be good at all for him!

Attachments

• IMG_20161128_125519.jpg
    IMG_20161128_125519.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 23
You do realize the drive is a real ***** once you hit the Atlantic Ocean, right?

You do realize the drive is a real ***** once you hit the Atlantic Ocean, right?
Oh, I m sorry, did you think I was hitchhiking on the roads? On a pilot's website? My bad, I should be more precise..

Oh, I m sorry, did you think I was hitchhiking on the roads? On a pilot's website? My bad, I should be more precise..
Ahh... crossing the Atlantic in a small Cessna is also a bit rough. Possible, but not common.

Keep in mind that the number of people climbing Mt Everest each year far outnumbers the number of Cessnas crossing the Atlantic each year.

And the fatality rate of Everest is not much worse than crossing the atlantic in a small plane (1 in 100 vs 1 in 300 last I looked).

It's doable, but it's not just a trip - it's something you plan and train for for months.

Last edited:
It is possible with an AOA however I am not sure if it is certified for K9

[...] he's very sensitive and cargo won't be good at all for him!

We've been through this (Germany to Detroit), evaluated all options and ended up using http://www.flypets.com/ in Frankfurt.
I dropped the cats off at Pet-Air in Frankfurt, my wife was already in the US and picked them up at the cargo terminal. Not cheap but easy, Pet-Air also took care of all the paperwork and the cats appeared less stressed then when we relocated a few years ago from Düsseldorf to Stuttgart and transported them in the car.

Cargo sounds horrible, but the crates get handled carefully, are transported separately and they provide the animals with water during the flight. Other than the transport to / from the terminal to the plane, the animals are in a quiet environment, only with the humming of the engines in the background.

If we would have transported them in the cabin (what isn't an option for your big dog anyway), they (and we) would have had to go through all the stress with security, people walking by, waiting in the loud terminal and so on.

Now, "hitchhiking" in a plane puts the stress to a whole different level - only the biggest business jets can cross the Atlantic non-stop, what means that even business jets at least have to stop in Island for fuel. Most smaller planes require multiple fuel stops, typically in England, Island, Greenland, Canada and the US. Expect at least a week in a very loud single engine plane for such a trip, plus having to deal with customs at every single stop. Bringing a dog into these countries might or might not be an issue.

All of this (assuming you can even find a pilot who is willing to take your dog, what I doubt) vs. quick 9 hours in an airliner? I'd pick the airliner and an experienced pet transport company...

I met a guy at Oshkosh that just took his Mooney and flew Baffin Island Canada, Greenland, Iceland and then Norway with no special preparations at all. He made it. I planned the flight (I had some flight planning software that had the airports). But I planned Baffin Island, Greenland, Iceland, Faroe Islands and Scotland. The longest leg is 450 nautical miles. Thing to pay attention to is the weather of course. And no I never went on the trip I planned. But I could have.

Back