Hit a coyote

ONZ
ONZ_Coyote.jpg
I know the AWOS has a message talking about "deer, coyote, and waterfowl" IIRC. But I've never seen a coyote on an airfield around here.

OTOH, someone at 57D claims that at some fields the critters watch the landings and rate them. :rofl:

Local airport mgr said without coyotes we would be up to ourass in rabbits.

it is a DARN good thing this did not happen in California -

$10000 to remove the carcass and de-contaminate the runway

$25000 to do a study of the airport population

$50000 fine to you for unlicensed coyote hunting

$35000 charge for Bureaucratic Enforcement Mechanisms

$7500 for the fire department, police and animal control 'call out'

Plus the PETA demonstrators outside your home for a week.

Plus, if you do discharge the shotgun to scare off the coyotes it'll be quiet because you'll be in jail for 10 days for 'illegal discharging a firearm in city limits.'

Ive seen them around here but they are so scittish of people they never come inside city limits. And its open season year round.

I know a couple of guys that go out occassionally and will take a 22 with them and pop a couple for the pelts.

Skittish of people? I dunno about that =

There is a park across the street from my house that I run my dog in [you know - Labrador Retriever - ball ] and there is a coyote who is there alot - one morning he decided to chase the ball with my Lab - for a couple of cycles until he probably realized that was not what he was supposed to be doing.

Then - every couple of weeks - I see this coyote just running down the sidewalk . . . he is not afraid of people or dogs . . .

Coyotes are reputed to play with dogs until the dog allows itself to be vulnerable and then kill.

There is a park across the street from my house that I run my dog in [you know - Labrador Retriever - ball ] and there is a coyote who is there alot - one morning he decided to chase the ball with my Lab - for a couple of cycles until he probably realized that was not what he was supposed to be doing.

Then - every couple of weeks - I see this coyote just running down the sidewalk . . . he is not afraid of people or dogs . . .

These coyotes are small (compared to other coyotes). And they have no need to come near the city because there is 10000s of acres of land for them to roam.

Coyotes are reputed to play with dogs until the dog allows itself to be vulnerable and then kill.

My dog barked at one and chased it off, so he came back an hour later with his six biggest buddies. They are lucky that I live in a city...

Subsonic .22.

My dog barked at one and chased it off, so he came back an hour later with his six biggest buddies. They are lucky that I live in a city...

Coyote attacks on humans are exceedingly rare, but they do happen.

If you are tired of yotes calling at night step outside with a shot gun and fire in the air once. Guaranteed to be quiet for days! ;)

I'm guessing the neighbors won't like that in my suburban back yard. :)

We hear 'em at night here all the time. No big deal.

There was a coyote on the runway at midland airpark when I took my CFI ride. When the examiner said, "Jean there's a coyote on the runway" I just replied "Sure, John, good one.". (we had a big joke about it at a safety meeting the previous month and I really thought he was just yanking my chain.).. And he said "no look there, see I'm not kidding..".. I Looked and sure enough it just stood there watching us and I botched my soft field landing. But the coyote moved off the runway and we taxied by.

Rotating mechanical joints do crazy things when they are shocked. I've not personally seen an airplane powertrain subjected to it, but when I've seen it in other cases you get all kinds of deformations and cracks in flange faces around the through holes. It's not obvious until dye penetrant is used on the disassembled joint.

The problem is that these joints can continue to operate for a long time before something gives, but when it lets go it happens fast since it generally results in an imbalance condition and kicks off a runaway chain reaction.

I have no idea if a coyote is a big enough shock to leave latent damage. I think I'd be pretty conservative though.

Yeah, would be bad to shuck a blade, while near gross, on climbout, on a hot day.

Yeah, would be bad to shuck a blade, while near gross, on climbout, on a hot day.

Geez...........

it would be bad to shuck a blade, at minimum weight, on a cold day. on the decent...:yesnod::hairraise::eek:.

Attachments

• lost prop.jpg
    lost prop.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 26
Where's that rubbing compound when you really need it?

Geez...........

it would be bad to shuck a blade, at minimum weight, on a cold day. on the decent...:yesnod::hairraise::eek:.

Geez...........

That would be a "whoa doggie".....just missed standing it up on its tail and dying right there.

That would be a "whoa doggie".....just missed standing it up on its tail and dying right there.

Jamie Treat lost a blade of his Tarver composite prop mounted on his F-24-R40 and he reduced power to idle and it shook so bad he thought he was going to fallout of his aircraft. But the Old Ranger stayed in its mounts, and returned to the airport and made a safe landing.

Let's see one of the new spam cans try that.

At Danbury, CT, there was a really bad problem with Canada geese. People took to carrying portable horns to blow at them or taxiing up slowly to encourage them to move off the pavement. Left tons of crap on the pavement and grass. Then a coyote moved in with her cubs. No more geese. She was smart enough to stay off the pavement.

At Danbury, CT, there was a really bad problem with Canada geese. People took to carrying portable horns to blow at them or taxiing up slowly to encourage them to move off the pavement. Left tons of crap on the pavement and grass. Then a coyote moved in with her pups No more geese. She was smart enough to stay off the pavement.

They are K9 = Pups.

Why don't we just ask Jamie to demonstrate it again since he's already experienced in the maneuver?

Jamie Treat lost a blade of his Tarver composite prop mounted on his F-24-R40 and he reduced power to idle and it shook so bad he thought he was going to fallout of his aircraft. But the Old Ranger stayed in its mounts, and returned to the airport and made a safe landing.

Let's see one of the new spam cans try that.

Why don't we just ask Jamie to demonstrate it again since he's already experienced in the maneuver?

I really on't know if he still owns the 24, but you could ask him next you are near Kelly Airpark Co.

I had a Coyote pace me during a takeoff out of KSAF once. Fast little guy. He was having fun, apparently. I was just worried he'd jink toward me and get hit. He was in the grass off the side of the runway.

Coming back from dinner tonight we hit a coyote while landing the 182. Some fur on the prop and right main wheel pant. He took it worse than we did.

Anything particular that I need to do? Called the airport manager about the road kill so that nobody else has the same luck.

Power was at idle, prop seems fine. Do I need an A&P to bless it?

If it's a Lycoming, you have a prop strike AD to do.:( Not sure on Continentals position.

I had a Coyote pace me during a takeoff out of KSAF once. Fast little guy. He was having fun, apparently. I was just worried he'd jink toward me and get hit. He was in the grass off the side of the runway.

Is your airplane painted to look like a road runner? Perhaps it was made by the ACME Corporation. :D

My area has a large population of coyotes, and at the uncontrolled field where I sometimes fly, coyote-related go arounds are common...never happened to me though, thankfully.

If it's a Lycoming, you have a prop strike AD to do.:(

No, you do not in this occasion, no one saw any loss of RPM.

Not sure on Continentals position.

they have a Service bulletin as I pointed out earlier.

neither company would consider this a prop strike, but when you ask them they will lawyer up and tell you to send it in for a overhaul.

Back