Hit a coyote

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
Coming back from dinner tonight we hit a coyote while landing the 182. Some fur on the prop and right main wheel pant. He took it worse than we did.

Anything particular that I need to do? Called the airport manager about the road kill so that nobody else has the same luck.

Power was at idle, prop seems fine. Do I need an A&P to bless it?

Fur? What fur? I don't see no steenking fur!

Coming back from dinner tonight we hit a coyote while landing the 182. Some fur on the prop and right main wheel pant. He took it worse than we did.

Anything particular that I need to do? Called the airport manager about the road kill so that nobody else has the same luck.

I would :)

did you lose any rpm? If so both Lyc and Conti want a tear down inspection . . . and since the insurance company will pay for the tear down and reassembly - - how many hours on that engine?

did you lose any rpm? If so both Lyc and Conti want a tear down inspection . . . and since the insurance company will pay for the tear down and reassembly - - how many hours on that engine?

There is the answer, if it lost ANY RPM the TCM SB come into play.

Note I said SB and not AD...:wink2:

Engine was idle.

If your prop is fine your engine is too, I would not worry. Any time I come to uncontrolled fields at night I first overfly the runway at about 100ft to check for obstacles. Cows, horses and other animals like to sleep on the runway to stay away from mosquitoes.

José

Engine was idle.

So? The prop is still spinning at what? 900rpm. I think ANYTHING spinning at 900 rpm is going to slow down a little when it hits a solid object like a Coyote . . . folks have reported damage when a prop scythes through tall grass . . .

Its your engine and your life. Decide if just asking the mechanic if 'its ok' is ok. . . .

I'd say if you got anything on your prop, prop stike, doesn't take much, have a good AP take a gander at it.

As for the coyote, did you just leave it on the runway/taxi way??! Pull that chit off so the next guy doesn't do the same....

How many pilots here believe they can see the dip in RPM as the prop strikes the coyote ?

There is not enough energy transmitted to the engine to do any damage by striking a coyote.

At least you didn't hit Roseanne Barr. That'd for sure be a teardown.

At least you didn't hit Roseanne Barr. That'd for sure be a teardown.
I'd just scrap it at that point. Even if you fix it, it's going to be making too much noise.

Best thing Roseann did was the Snickers commercial... you know, the one where she gets flattened by a log.

How many pilots here believe they can see the dip in RPM as the prop strikes the coyote ?

There is not enough energy transmitted to the engine to do any damage by striking a coyote.

Funny how pilots hear "prop strike" and automatically think if the prop hits anything it is time to file an insurance claim and tear down of engine. What about all the bug the prop hits? ;)

No wonder insurance is so high.:rolleyes:

To answer about the engine, it has a bit over 500 hours and is doing fine.

I honestly thought I had hit a pothole in the runway. I even back taxied to shine my landing light on it (all alone at night, pattern empty) so I could report it to the manager. I was surprised to see road kill. Called the manager about it and offered to help, he said he'd take care of it.

In the AF/D we have a note about deer in vicinity. I wonder if this will trigger adding coyote to the list.

Any unjustifiable engine tear down is going to introduce the possibility of a failure later on than leaving it alone. As for the coyote beware that they live in family groups and its family may seek revenge. So don't go to your plane alone at night, you never know who is hiding behind the bushes.

José

I'm surprised there are any coyotes living up that way. Didn't think there was sufficient habitat for the varmints.

...... As for the coyote beware that they live in family groups and its family may seek revenge. So don't go to your plane alone at night, you never know who is hiding behind the bushes.

José

:rofl:

I hope you are joking. The only animal capable of revenge is man. ;)

I'd say if you got anything on your prop, prop stike, doesn't take much, have a good AP take a gander at it.

As for the coyote, did you just leave it on the runway/taxi way??! Pull that chit off so the next guy doesn't do the same....

There are parts of the country where you can bring in the tail and get a 25 dollar bounty..... That will buy 5 gallons of 100LL..:yesnod:;)

Most likely the case, but for the sake of accuracy noting that it is the RPM decrease that triggers the "prop strike" independent of damage to the propeller is a good idea IMO:wink2:

I'm surprised there are any coyotes living up that way. Didn't think there was sufficient habitat for the varmints.

We hear coyote all the time around here. They are displacing fox as hunters of small rodents. Also a good way to check the feral cat population.

Personally, with a domesticated dog and very small kids, I shoot coyote that come within view of my home. Never thought I would see one on the runway is all.

We hear coyote all the time around here. They are displacing fox as hunters of small rodents. Also a good way to check the feral cat population.

Personally, with a domesticated dog and very small kids, I shoot coyote that come within view of my home. Never thought I would see one on the runway is all.

Coyote attacks on humans are exceedingly rare, but they do happen.

If you are tired of yotes calling at night step outside with a shot gun and fire in the air once. Guaranteed to be quiet for days! ;)

We have a large pack living at the airport here.

And they were there when I trained at ISZ many years ago.

(Tried to think of a snarky comment comparing city council to coyotes, but no such luck).

We have a pack that was apparently planted on the airport property to keep the deer at bay...so far it's worked beautifully, and the coyotes are smart enough to stay away from the airplanes, so you rarely even see them.

I see em around here a lot. One odd thing we have to worry about is wild turkeys. They are big and not very smart.

Most likely the case, but for the sake of accuracy noting that it is the RPM decrease that triggers the "prop strike" independent of damage to the propeller is a good idea IMO:wink2:

True Lycoming says the RPM drop is the key, Continental says if the prop must be repaired the engine must be torn down.

How would one know if they had an RPM drop if they didn't see it?

Same here, but unusual to see them during daylight hours other than during heavy rains that flood their dens.

We have a large pack living at the airport here.

"Hey, did you hit anything after you landed?"

"Nope. Felt a thump after touchdown, but probably just the gear strut compressing. Why do you ask?"

deer hunt2.jpg

deer hunt.jpg

True Lycoming says the RPM drop is the key, Continental says if the prop must be repaired the engine must be torn down.

Ears (sound) Ass (vibration change)

Continental O-470 in my 182E.

And since morbid pics are already going up...
014-3.jpg

Continental O-470 in my 182E.

Continental has a S/B that is not required in part 91, to comply or not is triggered by the prop condition.

http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/SB96-11B.pdf

PART I - PROPELLER STRIKE INCIDENTS
A propeller strike is: (1) any incident, whether or not the engine is operating, that requires repair to the propeller other than minor dressing of the blades as set forth in Part I, B of this Service Bulletin or (2) any incident while the engine is operating in which the propeller makes contact with any object that results in a loss of engine RPM. Propeller strikes against the ground or any object, can cause engine and component damage even though the propeller may continue to rotate. This damage can result in catastrophic engine failure.

Last edited:
And they were there when I trained at ISZ many years ago.

(Tried to think of a snarky comment comparing city council to coyotes, but no such luck).

No. Why insult the coyotes? :)

I saw one at I73 last June, ambling slowly across the runway like he owned the place.

Rotating mechanical joints do crazy things when they are shocked. I've not personally seen an airplane powertrain subjected to it, but when I've seen it in other cases you get all kinds of deformations and cracks in flange faces around the through holes. It's not obvious until dye penetrant is used on the disassembled joint.

The problem is that these joints can continue to operate for a long time before something gives, but when it lets go it happens fast since it generally results in an imbalance condition and kicks off a runaway chain reaction.

I have no idea if a coyote is a big enough shock to leave latent damage. I think I'd be pretty conservative though.

Back