Historical wx/radar app?

drummer4468

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
drummer4468
Hi all,

Working on a project, developing an aviation weather course focused on long-distance XC planning and decision-making. Finding historical METARS is easy, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any sites/apps where I can graphically plot courses radar overlays from days/weeks in the past. I think it would make it more conducive to build real-world scenarios of unfriendly/unforecast weather and deteriorating conditions.

Thanks!

Assuming there is some bad weather around to see someplace in the country, and this time of year in the afternoon in the south there usually is, simple go to your favorite EFB app and do a screen capture and use that.

I just found some weather in MI right now and plotted some points and grabbed it off iPhoto, saved it as a jpeg. Is this what you're looking for?

JMlohjY.jpg

Hi all,

Working on a project, developing an aviation weather course focused on long-distance XC planning and decision-making. Finding historical METARS is easy, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any sites/apps where I can graphically plot courses radar overlays from days/weeks in the past. I think it would make it more conducive to build real-world scenarios of unfriendly/unforecast weather and deteriorating conditions.

Thanks!

https://gis.ncdc.noaa.gov/maps/ncei/radar

Assuming there is some bad weather around to see someplace in the country, and this time of year in the afternoon in the south there usually is, simple go to your favorite EFB app and do a screen capture and use that.

I just found some weather in MI right now and plotted some points and grabbed it off iPhoto, saved it as a jpeg. Is this what you're looking for?

JMlohjY.jpg
This is a great method if I happen to stumble upon a good "teaching moment" in the radar, but do you know if there's any way to go further than an hour into the past with ForeFlight? The idea is being able to recreate specific scenarios that have caused issues/mishaps in the past, and figuring out how they could have been avoided.

Thanks! I wonder if there's a way to take a screenshot of that to use as a basemap for FF and be able to plot a course/diversion. That would be super convenient.

Back