Historic and Popular GA airports?

N31569

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
N31569
I'm working on a project and I'm trying to compile a list of historic and or popular GA airports(preferably still open, but not required) and I am looking for suggestions. So far I have:

Wittman Regional
Gillespie Field
Montgomery Field
Santa Monica
Teterboro
Van Nuys

I know there are more lots more

Thanks in advance,

Jason

N31569
PA-32-300

N113FS
C172

I'm working on a project and I'm trying to compile a list of historic and or popular GA airports(preferably still open, but not required) and I am looking for suggestions.

Grass Valley/Nevada County (KGOO). First airport built for the express purpose of hauling gold from the mines to the San Francisco mint to avoid the holdups and robberies on the highway. Built within two miles of the world's first commercial airport (Lyman Gilmore Field).

Jim

Lakefront in New Orleans has a pretty interesting history...

College Park MD (longest continually running GA airport)

First Flight Airport, Kitty Hawk NC (for obvious reasons)

Meigs Field, Chicago IL (popular and historic airport bulldozed by mayor)

Many airports date back to WW2 or earlier, and most are more than 40 years old, so there is a lot of history at nearly every one of them.

Swallow Field was about half a mile from my house here in Wichita...the Swallow is generally considered to be the first airplane designed for commercial purposes-more than one passenger.

My home field, Pearson Field in Vancouver, Washington (KVUO), is one of the oldest operating airfields in the country, going back to a dirigible landing in 1905. The first interstate air mail flight landed here in 1912. The first trans-polar intercontinental flight landed here in 1937, and the three-man Soviet crew was greeted by the Commanding Officer of Vancouver Barracks, Gen. George C. Marshall. Elrey Jeppesen lived in rented space in the back of a hangar and sold hamburgers at the airport entrance to finance his flying lessons.

Today, though it is across the Columbia River and in another state, it is the closest airport to downtown Portland, Oregon. It is the only uncontrolled field in the country that is within its own Class D area.

And it's a very pretty place.

DSC04732.JPG

Frederiksen_01.jpg

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2005/September/1/Field-of-Influence

http://www.cityofvancouver.us/sites...39s_office/page/16552/aopa_pilot_may_2014.pdf

Last edited:
Many airports date back to WW2 or earlier, and most are more than 40 years old, so there is a lot of history at nearly every one of them.

Watsonville CA (KWVI) is one of them. Although there were airfields in the area before the war, the current airport was built in 1942 for use by the Navy for training and positioning aircraft to be flown out to carriers offshore. I have found WWII-era graffitti and even a 50 cal machine gun link in the apron concrete.

Tim

"Sunken Lunken" in Cincinnati.

- Once the largest airfield in the world
- Embry-Riddle was started there
- Aeronca was formed and manufactured there
- Oldest standing control tower in the USA
- First airline meals were prepared at the Sky Galley Restaurant at KLUK for AA
- Everything above courtesy of Wikipedia

Oakland, CA. (KOAK) Emelia Erhart, Lindburg, Doolittle, pretty much every famous aviator of the golden age was there at one point or another. A lot of the old buildings are still there too. It all happened on what is now called North Field. It is the GA side of Oakland. South Field is the newer, airline terminal side.

Lake Hood Seaplane Base in Anchorage. Very interesting airport -- and a unique environment, being nestled into a crook of Anchorage International but being a separate airport.

Flabob in Riverside CA RIR.

Been around since the 20's, still going strong.
Ray Stits was based there and got Paul to change the EAA charter to allow chapters. So EAA chapter 1 was started there.

Great little GA airport focused on home builders, vintage education etc.

College Park MD (longest continually running GA airport)

I always wondered what field was #1.

Stinson Field, KSSF, is second longest.

Don't know if it meets your GA criteria, but Love Field will forever be famous for LBJ taking the oath of office on AF 1 there.

Check into KLHB (Hearne, Texas) It's still open.

It has a monstrous runway built to receive Nazi prisoner flights for the nearby camp.

Iowa City Municipal (KIOW) in Iowa.

Formerly "Smith Field", this is the oldest continuously operated airport West of the Mississippi River, and is the birthplace of commercial aviation. The first transcontinental airmail flight was successful only through the heroics of Jack Knight in Iowa City.

Here's the history I wrote about it: http://www.icgov.org/?id=2108

SSF for the "Stinson School of Flying" is the second oldest continuously operating GA field in the country.

Sebring FL (KSEF) has shared its runways and taxiways with auto racing since the 50s

Try these two:

My former home field, KHTW, Lawrence County Airpark, opened in 1927 or 1929 by one Mr. Riddle, who later joined with a fellow named Embry and started a school. He ran the FBO, a flight school, pioneered air mail and passenger service in southern Ohio and neighboring West Virginia.

My new home field, 06A, Moton Field, was the base where the Tuskegee Airmen took their basic flight training. Their former hangars have been rebuilt and are operated as a museum by the National Park Service. In addition, there are signs and markers scattered around the field.

I had my initial flight training and got my ticket at Avenger Field, KSWW, Sweetwater TX about 40 yrs ago. This was where the WASPs were trained during WW2. I remember the runways being 200 ft wide when I was learning there.

My next door neighbor, Ray served as an instructor pilot for the WASPs there. At that time it was a secret operation. Ray said there was considerable buzz amongst the locals then about all the young, twenty-something girls being dropped off at the downtown Baker Hotel by their parents with obviously tearfull goodbyes. No one knew what was up.

Thanks, everyone. This info is really helpful.

Jason

SSF for the "Stinson School of Flying" is the second oldest continuously operating GA field in the country.

Yep, and a nice little airport to boot. Worth a read about it's history.

Too bad we've lost Blue Ash.

http://generalaviationnews.com/2012/09/27/morristown-municipal-airport-celebrates-70th-anniversary/

Morristown Municipal Airport in the suburbs of New Jersey was almost going to be a dirigible base for the Zeppelins, but that didn't happen because the Hindenburg disaster took place.

http://generalaviationnews.com/2009/06/22/historic-essex-county-airport-has-a-lofty-past/

Essex County Airport had a notable accident flight that took place when JFK Jr.'s plane crashed enroute to Martha's Vineyard.

Also there is a broken down Pembroke on the far northwest side of the airport that hasn't been flown in decades. It's rotting away on the ramp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_Airport

Republic Airport used to be a place where they produce the P-47 Thunderbolts. Also considered historic I believe.

KONZ is another one with a fascinating history. The original owner is worth looking at from a historical perspective, too.

I am of the opinion that with few exceptions almost every airport with a paved runway is either historic, popular or interesting.

I just flew in the 40th Cable air show. Cable (CCB) is 75 years old and some say it is the largest privately owned public use airport.
Santa Paula (SZP) is also a very interesting airport that seems to be a magnet of interesting people in aviation.

Liberal KS.

The airport was a WWII fighter base (P51s and others). Original runway orientations (about 6 of them) is interesting - although only two pieces of pavement are still open. The location was convenient as being about 1/2 way between the east/west coast.

After the war, the Army sold the airfield to the city for $1 with the stipulation that the airport would remain open and well maintained. They do a good job considering it is in the middle of nowhere.

Beech Aircraft (yep, the better airplanes) had a plant there until about 84 when it was closed and moved to Wichita. Lots of people there still talk about riveting control surfaces to make a little college money.

Since then, the old Beech plant was converted into a museum. Lots of nice aircraft there - worth the stop over.

Oh - and they have a yearly air show. There have been years where the blue angles and the thunderbirds have done a fly-over. Not sure either groups have Liberal in their schedule now days.

(I'm from the area. My crazy uncle that got me into flying was in town so we had a family reunion on site and drove the volunteers there crazy with little kids trying to "fly" all the hardware.)

Wings Field (KLOM). AOPA was founded at Wings in a small meeting room on the second floor of the Philadelphia Aviation Country Club. Lots of famous people have flown in to Wings but I think the founding of AOPA trumps it all.

Also NXX formerly NAS Willow Grove formerly Pitcarin Field was, I believe where the pitcarin auto gyro was created. NXX was closed in the brac commission closings.

KMKC downtown KC.

Was the home of TWA for years and years. The national airline and TWA museums are there. Plus it is literally right down the hill from downtown KC. Incredible views in and out of MKC.

My home field, Pearson Field in Vancouver, Washington (KVUO),.......... It is the only uncontrolled field in the country that is within its own Class D area.

So how do you establish 2 way communication with a control tower that doesn't exist? :confused:

KFRG..... Home of Republic Aircraft, Seversky, Fairchild and even Grumman for a while. The first hangar built on the field in 1928 is still there.......

KBDR....... Home of Chance Vought and Sikorsky.

The original airmail route airports are certainly historic. Not sure how many of them are still in use, but that would include my home drome of KIOW Iowa City.

Airmails_of_the_United_States
1280px-Transcontinental_Air_Mail_Map_1924.jpg

Airmails_of_the_United_States

So how do you establish 2 way communication with a control tower that doesn't exist? :confused:

You read the A/FD and contact PDX tower on the frequency listed.

Well, yes and no.

VUO's Class D is in a cutout of Portland International's Class C surface area.

VUO_local_130626.jpg

Before departure or before entering the Class D on arrival, pilots are required to establish communication with "Pearson Advisory," a position physically located in the Portland Tower but operating on the Pearson CTAF. The purpose of the contact is for ATC to issue wake turbulence advisories, and (on a workload-permitting basis) traffic advisories. It also serves as Pearson's IFR Clearance Delivery and coordinates Class C transitions, but it does not control or sequence VFR traffic at Pearson. VUO is still an uncontrolled airport.

The communication goes like this:
N123: Pearson Advisory, Bugsmasher 123 inbound to Pearson from Vancouver Lake, we have the Pearson weather [from the ASOS]."

P.A.: Bugsmasher 123, Pearson Advisory. Remain clear of the Portland Class Charlie airspace. Portland arrivals from the west, caution wake turbulence. Traffic is an Airbus four miles west of Pearson, inbound to Portland. One other aircraft reported in the pattern at Pearson.
From that point on, the pilot just self-announces on the same frequency and sequences himself, just like at any other uncontrolled field, and ATC is not involved.

In addition to the wake turbulence issue, the traffic advisories are welcome, because we try to avoid situations where we might trigger an RA on an airliner's TCAS, which can happen even if we're completely in our airspace, and they in theirs.

A couple of years ago runway work at PDX put more jet traffic over VUO, so FAA commissioned a temporary tower at Pearson for a year. We liked it; the controllers liked it (no state income tax in WA :happydance: ). We asked FAA to keep the tower, but they said no funding, and it reverted to the "Pearson Advisory" system.

Last edited:
Flabob in Riverside CA RIR.

Been around since the 20's, still going strong.
Ray Stits was based there and got Paul to change the EAA charter to allow chapters. So EAA chapter 1 was started there.

Great little GA airport focused on home builders, vintage education etc.

Great airport.. Ray is still based there - Fly's his Skycatcher at 93. I grew up on Flabob..

Back