His & Her Toys -- Her Toy (NA)

cameronbm

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce Cameron
For our 25th wedding anniversary, my wife wants (a) her PPL and (b) a motorcycle. I know something about the first, so no problem there, however I know nothing about the second other than to sign her up for a motorcycle safety course and buy her a top quality riding gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, boots).

The basic mission parameters are commuting to work (20 miles, mostly 2 lane county roads) and the occasional sunny Sunday afternoon ride in the country. At this point, she has no interest in competing with freeway traffic.

So what do those of you who ride recommend as a first bike?

Bruce

No Recomendations, but if that's what you are getting her for an aniversary... she's a lucky woman.

She's put up with me for 25 years -- I'm the lucky one.

Bruce

You have the right idea on having her take the MSF course and get proper gear. This gear should ideally be helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, boots. In Minnesota it might get cool enough that you can get her some "three season" type gear and be alright. I can make some recommendations, but as a summary I have a jacket with a zip-out liner. It works great for fall, winter, and spring. It really is alright in summer, provided I don't have to spend much time sitting around and the temperatures are below 90F.

Now to the bike: Whatever you get, I would say don't get something bigger than 600ccs at the absolute max. Also buy a used bike - she will drop it at some point, and this way you haven't bought a new bike only to have her break it. If she's like me, she'll drop it at low speed and the bike will come out effectively unscathed.

If she's shorter like many women, the biggest concern is going to be something that she can actually keep her feet on the ground with at a stop. Generally, the cruiser-style bikes are better in this department. The 250cc motorcycles we used when I took the MSF course were great for people of about any height, just as an example. I would recommend anything Japanese. Honda is my favorite as far as motorcycles go, but Kawasaki and Suzuki make good products, too. Yamahas I suppose are fine, but they don't seem to have as good handling characteristics.

Really it comes down to what she likes and what she's comfortable with, especially in terms of seating position. Honda seems to have the best suspension, though, and that is a big plus. The under 600cc is a limitation that I add because it doesn't take much for a motorcycle to have enough power to get out of hand for someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

If she's going to work, something with side bags would probably help (although you can also wear a backpack and that works fine), and engine guards are also a plus for when she drops it.

Add me to the choir. MSF first. Safety gear from Aerostich or Vanson Leathers. Helmet that fits her well; have to go to a motorcycle store to try on the different brands for that. Boots, gloves, etc - dress for the fall, not for the ride.

As for a bike? EX500, GS550, or a Kawi 250. The 250 is a light, flickable bike that doesn't go anywhere particularly fast, but is about as tame as they get. EX500 and GS550 are still quite tame, but can be a bit of a bear for a small person the first time out.

Good luck! Congrats on 25!

Cheers,

-Andrew

No recommendations on the bike, the last one I had was a 1969 Honda CL-175 and I sold it 33 years ago.

However, training and safety equipment are critical. As a survivor of a car/motorcycle accident (car t-boned bike) I can't emphasize the importance of a good helmet enough. The other stuff is necessary, too.

We are both big on safety equipment (a lesson learned riding horses over steeple-chase and cross-country jumping courses -- I don't care how fast you are going, the ground is hard and it seems to get harder the older I get). I'm figuring $900-$1000 for safety gear with about half of that going for a SNELL approved helmet.

Bruce

Newenough.com has really good prices on gear, and their customer service is really top-notch. Honda makes a bike called the Rebel. Its a 250 cc in-line twin done up in cruiser style. If your wife is short she should have no trouble reaching the ground, and the bike will perform sufficiently to keep her safe and out of trouble. In the 80's Honda made a 450 cc version of this bike which I think is a really excellent chick ride. There have been a number of 500 and 600 cc twins available through the years that should also be acceptable for a new rider. I would second the comment about purchasing a used bike for a beginner.

Used smaller Virago, or Honda in the 400cc or 500 at the most range. Good jacket, gloves, helmet, and either leather pants or chaps. Tell her she looks HOT in the leather and she'll be happy to wear it even when it's warm. I had a nice jacket once with zippered vents on the sides that really was comfy even in the summer. Comfy boots that go above the ankle, but no need to go all the way up to the knee.

MSF course is a MUST.

Good on you for the crash gear. Insist on wearing all of it all the time every time always. Getting bright colors and reflective stripes on the gear and helmet will help the crazy cagers see you. Well, sometimes anyway. In my experience a bright jacket and helmet will at least reduce the number of separation conflicts on any given ride.

Helmet = full face. None of that open face (even if it has a plastic face shield) or beanie cap nonsense. NO EXCEPTIONS. Maybe a flip up but personally I won't touch the stuff. You absolutely want that hard armored chin guard when the ground jumps up and slams into your face. You don't necessarily have to spend half the $$ on the helmet. Just find a good one that fits your noggin properly then start looking at the price tags and colors. There's a bit of controversy about SNELL in some circles. The gist is it's a really hard helmet which is good however it can deliver more g's due to the design criteria. You don't necessarily get a steel sphere hitting twice in the same spot. In reality you get one hard hit then lots of grinding. That said when I was looking for a new helmet (my old KBC died honorably in the line of duty so I wouldn't have to) the Shoei RF1000 fit best. It just happened to be SNELL and have nice features and comes in screaming yellow too.

As for the motorcycle, Ted covered it pretty well. The only reservation I have about cruiser type bikes is the generic sitting hard on your butt and having your feet out in front like you sit in a car. Having your feet on pegs under your center of mass like most of the Honda series does allows you to sit more comfortably on long rides and you can lift your butt up off the seat when bumps or gravel is involved. Add engine guards. They'll protect the engine when you get goofy and topple over or drop it on occasion. A windscreen of some kind is nice especially when it's cold or raining. A luggage rack or panniers are almost essential if you're going to be riding daily.

I second the newenough recommendation. Excellent service, no hassles including returns, good prices, knowlegable staff on the phone, nice writeups on everything on their site.

I dunno, I have a full-face flip-face Nolan helmet and I love it. My friends who have crashed with them and landed on their faces seemed to fare pretty well (helmet's dead, their faces are unscathed). I'll agree the best thing to get is the bright-colored gear that everyone can see. I am hypocrite on this one, though - all my gear is black with reflective bits on it.

As for the motorcycle, Ted covered it pretty well. The only reservation I have about cruiser type bikes is the generic sitting hard on your butt and having your feet out in front like you sit in a car. Having your feet on pegs under your center of mass like most of the Honda series does allows you to sit more comfortably on long rides and you can lift your butt up off the seat when bumps or gravel is involved.

I think this comes back to another preference thing. I prefer the legs out front arrangement for trips to the pegs. Having my legs bent in that position for long periods is annoying. You're definitely right that having the pegs helps for standing up over bumps (I do it on my VTX anyway, but it is harder). The other thing is that on the bikes where you have your feet on pegs right under you, it also helps make the bike more maneuverable. However once again, this is going to come down to preference and what you're comfortable with.

Add engine guards. They'll protect the engine when you get goofy and topple over or drop it on occasion. A windscreen of some kind is nice especially when it's cold or raining. A luggage rack or panniers are almost essential if you're going to be riding daily.

Engine guards are definitely a good idea. The windscreen helps, but if you're staying off the highway for now, is less necessary. Depending on what you carry, I have used a backpack just fine.

Frank, you have good recommendations! :)

One more thing about helmets, get one that is comfortable. If it starts to develop hot spots 20 minutes into the ride you will never enjoy riding the bike. (Un)fortunately I seem to have a very expensive noggin shape, as the most comfy helmet I found at the local motorcycle shop was an Arai :). Rode with the thing for some 380 miles on the BMW R65 yesterday, and felt good the whole time.

Hi Guys,
First post here. You may want to look into the Suzuki Burgman family of scooters. 650 and 400 in size, Automatic trans so no shifting, plenty fast enough, and most who buy them ride them instead of their regular bikes. Not to mention 55 mph and 70 mph for the 400. Let her ride that for a summer or two, then move to a little bigger bike after that if she wants. I'll bet she will want to keep the Burgman.

Just a thought.
Mike in NJ
Motor Officer Sgt (Ret)

A scooter was my first thought but when I broached that idea, I got "the look" and was informed that "anything would be fine", and "I can use my best judgment".

I may be dense, but I know enough to understand that the request is for a motorcycle and substitutes/reasonable facsimiles are likely to result in my sleeping outside with the dogs :eek:.

Bruce

In that case, since it has to be a motorcycle, why not get her a Ducati Desmo, price tag 70K, maybe she will let you ride it once in a while.

Mike

I just went through this with my wife. She went into the MSF course thinking scooter, and came out wanting a regular bike. My only suggestion would be to load her up, and hit the dealers. Let her sit on everything until she finds the size and class that fits her. MrsQ finally settled on a Honda Shadow Spirit 750. (She is 6ft tall, so none of the smaller bikes suited her.) We took the time to shop for a really comfortable helmet, and it happened to be an HJC full face. She already had a good leather jacket and boots, so she just needed chaps and gloves. She has recently bought a mesh kevlar shirt to wear on the warm days. She's putting about 80 miles a day on her ride, between work and college, and she's averaging about 55 mpg vs the 20 she gets from her Chevy Equinox, which helps a ton on the pocketbook.
The only down side is me not getting much of any thing done on the weekends, because she manages to find us a ride just about every weekend.:dunno::yes:

I have to diss the scooter idea for one reason. The tires are smaller than those on a regular bike, and generate correspondingly less gyroscopic momentum. They therefore will not be able to keep the bike upright as well as the larger wheels on a motorcycle. I don't know their abilities in terms of acceleration and deceleration, but with automatics transmissions, small engine size, and small wheels my guess is that they're not that fast. We bikers have only the flickability of our bikes and our abilities to use that flickability to keep ourselves from becoming cages meat. If I'm wrong on the latter score feel free to let me know. Could just be I'm an old biker and got my bias.

I have to diss the scooter idea for one reason. The tires are smaller than those on a regular bike, and generate correspondingly less gyroscopic momentum. They therefore will not be able to keep the bike upright as well as the larger wheels on a motorcycle.

I've ridden a few scooters. They tend to behave quite well and don't try to topple over due to the wheel momentum any more than my 650 does. My only real concern with the smaller tires on some scooters was that little teeny donut front wheel dropping into a small hole that the larger wheel wouldn't have a problem with. Many of the larger scooters I've seen around have decent size tires which put the pothole hazard in line with real motorcycles.

Suzuki Burgman 650Tires Front:120/70R15M/C 56H, tubelessTires Rear:160/60R14M/C 65H, tubeless

Wheelbase:1595 mm (62.8 in)

Top Speed 110 mph
not a small scooter

I'll take the Ducati suggestion under consideration, but its not what I had in mind for a beginner's bike (besides, at $70k, it cuts into my plane budget) :p

Bruce

Thanks for all the suggestions. The general opinion seems to be that I should look for a bike under 600cc that fits her, with the Suzuki GZ250, GS500, the Kawasaki EX250, EX500, the Honda CMX250, CMX450 and the Yamaha XV250, XV400, XV500, XV535 being a good starting set of bikes.

Now, are there any years/models I should watch for/watch out for?

Many thanks.
Bruce

Back