Hiring uav pilots, Houston, TX

jayforte

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sky-Futures
Sky-Futures, based in Houston, is hiring uav pilots. Must have PPL, sport or recreational license. We use small uavs to do inspections both on and offshore. Expect 15 days of travel either CONUS or Gulf of Mexico. Approx. 90k starting with benefits.

Please send resume and questions to Jay Forte. jforte@sky-futures.com

Sky-Futures, based in Houston, is hiring uav pilots. Must have PPL, sport or recreational license. We use small uavs to do inspections both on and offshore. Expect 15 days of travel either CONUS or Gulf of Mexico. Approx. 90k starting with benefits.

Please send resume and questions to Jay Forte. jforte@sky-futures.com

If it sounds too good to be true...................:rolleyes:

If I were willing to move back to Houston, maybe. But no amount of money could get me back there. England, on the other hand.....company is advertising for software developers.

How can you have a ppl and be using it to make money? Me is confused....

I imagine they want the experience, knowledge, and skill set, that comes with attaining a pilot's license. You wouldn't actually be utilizing the privileges of your PPL in your job function.

Where is the liability when it goes boom? Doesn't make sense to me. whether I'm on the ground or in the air, I'm still the sole manipulator of an aircraft.

Where is the liability when it goes boom? Doesn't make sense to me. whether I'm on the ground or in the air, I'm still the sole manipulator of an aircraft.

Liability is on the UAS operator regardless of whether or not they have a PPL. A UAS operator can still be accountable for 91.13.

$90,000.00 would just about cover my psychiatrist's bill living in Houston. :lol:

Haha, as I was reading this thread the TV was showing an NBR interview with a woman studying at Embry Riddle who is giving up on being a pilot to work with UAVs.

Also, IIRC, depending on the type of approval they have for UAS operation in the course of their business, the FAA may require a PPL+. Correct me if I'm wrong.

$90,000.00 would just about cover my psychiatrist's bill living in Houston. :lol:

I lived in Houston very briefly. Traffic sucked. The food was generally good. I went overseas rather than stay in Houston.

I lived in Houston very briefly. Traffic sucked. The food was generally good. I went overseas rather than stay in Houston.

Been there and done it. Eleven years fighting I-45 traffic.

It was under construction in the eighties, and last time I was down it a year or two ago, it was still under construction... :mad2:

This is why I live 5 minutes away from the office! I love Houston but hate traffic.

Been there and done it. Eleven years fighting I-45 traffic.

It was under construction in the eighties, and last time I was down it a year or two ago, it was still under construction... :mad2:

Add to that the west side. My brother lives in Katy, and in just the last 3 years, his "out in the middle of nowhere" house has been over run by new development.

Add to that the west side. My brother lives in Katy, and in just the last 3 years, his "out in the middle of nowhere" house has been over run by new development.

I just ferried our grandson from Brenham to the outlet malls out on 290 today to meet his Dad. Grandson's mom lives in Austin. All I can say about that is divorce's suck....

My God that mixmaster they've built out there must cost close to a hundred million....

I thought Dallas was flat until I worked in Houston for a few years. Dallas is a veritable mountainous community by comparison.

Timmy don't play flat.

I have no doubt this guy is legit. Friend of mine who used to fly in the Army got out and works for a UAS company in Houston. Probably the same one. He thought he was going to be a regular line UAS pilot but because of his experience they made him a UAS team leader. I know he started in 6 figures.

A lot of the enlisted guys are trying to get UAS reclassification. They know it's a growing field and there's good money in it.

We've lost 5 of our enlisted UAS operators over the last 6 months who have gone to work for a UAS company. Their starting pay: $140k per year. The money is there.

Last edited:
Also, IIRC, depending on the type of approval they have for UAS operation in the course of their business, the FAA may require a PPL+. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, course of the business or depending on what airspace the aircraft will be operated in. The requirement is currently usually written into the COA, but will likely be written into the official regs in the near future.

Looking at their site looks like medium sized quad copters, not like a predator drone.

FAA put the same stipulation on Amazon, think they required a PPL or better, my thoughts would be that isn't because you need it to fly a quad copter, but because the Feds want it to prove you understand airspace and know why you shouldnt blast through clouds.

Also it ain't a aircraft, just like how your kids don't need a pilots license and medical to fly at the RC park.

I doubt this is a 'live in Houston' job, it's more like a live off shore or in a truck job.

Per the NTSB, drones ARE aircraft:

On November 18, 2014, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB ) reversed an earlier decision by an NTSB Administrative Law Judge (ALJ), and held that unmanned aerial systems (UAS) are properly considered “aircraft” and subject to Federal regulations that prohibit operation of “an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.” See Michael P. Huerta, Administrator, Federal Aviation Administration v. Raphael Pirker, NTSB Order No. EA-5730, Docket CP-217 (Nov. 18, 2014).

The NTSB determined that the statutory language defining aircraft was broad enough to encompass unmanned aircraft. The definition of aircraft is “any contrivance invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air.” The NTSB further concluded that the FAA was within its regulatory rights to determine that the regulation prohibiting careless or reckless operations applied to unmanned aircraft just as it does to manned aircraft. In conclusion, the NTSB stated “this case calls upon us to ascertain a clear, reasonable definition of “aircraft” for purposes of the prohibition on careless and reckless operation in[the Federal Aviation Regulation]. We must look no further than the clear, unambiguous plain language [of the statute]” that an “ aircraft” is any “device” used for flight in the air.” The NTSB stated that this included “any aircraft, manned or unmanned, large or small.”

(Quotes from other sources)

But a ultralight isn't?

Where does this start? Is my little quad copter from tower hobbies now a aircraft too?

Any FAR reference?

Looked into it a bit....

Looks like there are quite a few UAV operator jobs available. Ave income is $104k . Northrop has 12 jobs open right now in UT and AZ. A few more in SoCal on the development side, but requires a Masters and 9 years experience.

Found a few OCONUS jobs as well working with DoD.

I'd be interested in exploring more, but no way in H E double hockey sticks I'd move to Houston.

Low time PPL and experienced with using computers and flight sims (and building one). No field experience except flying R/C's as a hobby (including a quadcopter). I'm probably not worth 90k a year but I imagine once you get in the field it can be incredibly lucrative. Not sure how to break in though, other than the military.

Never actually been to Houston except flying through it as pax, is it that bad?

Last edited:
Low time PPL and experienced with using computers and flight sims (and building one). No field experience except flying R/C's as a hobby (including a quadcopter). I'm probably not worth 90k a year but I imagine once you get in the field it can be incredibly lucrative. Not sure how to break in though, other than the military.

Never actually been to Houston except flying through it as pax, is it that bad?

Place is a constant state of gridlock and very expensive to live there. You HAVE you live away from the city to make your dollar last.

Place is a constant state of gridlock and very expensive to live there. You HAVE you live away from the city to make your dollar last.

So then you have to drive a long way to work, and leave earlier than normal to compensate... then even earlier for traffic, and you have to account for the money spent on gas... Sounds like a soul-crushing experience.

The FAA's original position was they were only issuing LoA's for commercial UAS operators which require a CP ticket. I hadn't heard their position changed.

So then you have to drive a long way to work, and leave earlier than normal to compensate... then even earlier for traffic, and you have to account for the money spent on gas... Sounds like a soul-crushing experience.
That's only one possibility. It entirely depends on where you work and want to live. It's entirely possible to live and work closely, avoid the traffic, and enjoy Houston. I live and work here... I enjoy it. When I'm traveling, I realize how easy our traffic is compared to other cities.

I can own a nice townhouse on a golf course for $100K, live 5 min from work, have access to two major airports, one of which will take me to anywhere in the US for cheap (big Southwest hub) or anywhere in the world for the lowest prices available, I've got easy day access to beaches, saltwater or freshwater recreation, forests, or hills, I can drive my sports car and fly my plane year round, and keep the plane in a hangar 20 min away for $250/mo. I was 22 years old before I learned what "chains" were re: tires. (My first ski trip.)

Shall I go on?

Yeah, Houston sucks. You guys stay away from here, please!

Anywhere can suck if you don't appreciate it for what it offers. And a place has to truly be a hellhole to not offer stuff to like.

Never paid over $200mo for a hangar, current hangar could nearly fit 2 KAs, just me, 200, no heat though

Expensive? I've visited there and "expensive" is not the impression I got.

Palo Alto, San Francisco, Manhattan - those are expensive. Houston, not so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Palo Alto, San Francisco, Manhattan - those are expensive. Houston, not so much.

When you compare it nationwide, sure...it's cheap as all hell. Not as cheap as Little Rock, AR though. Not that I'll call this place "home", but it's where I domicile at the current time.

I guess it's all on a sliding scale.

Yeah, there are some scattered expensive communities in Texas, but all in all, you can live cheap anywhere in TX.

Back