HIMS wait time and backlog ....

HIMSpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HIMSpilot
Hello. I've posted in the past concerning the backlog at the FAA concerning issuance of an SI under the HIMS program. Have any of you experienced, heard of, or know of any improvement in the time between submission of packet and issuance of medical? .. I've heard they're "addressing" it, specifically by adding more doctors.

Thank you!

Har. They've been "addressing" it since the last time I was deferred back in the last century. It got better transiently and then regressed.

Har. They've been "addressing" it since the last time I was deferred back in the last century. It got better transiently and then regressed.
Was it an alcohol deferral? How long have you waited?

No, a false positive for a condition that shouldn't have been an issue, save for an incompetent AME, bad advice from the idiots at AOPA, and an initial reviewer in Joklahoma City who couldn't read. After 12 weeks or so the RFS finally helped me intervene in the shaving cream flying and I got a special issuance. Two years later, my NEW AME wrote literally "This is a ******** diagnosis" (with reference to the SI) and sent it in. I finally, got a normal issuance.

No, a false positive for a condition that shouldn't have been an issue . . .
The FAA is burdened with false positives of all types.

Once something is even mentioned on a medical recorded that's reviewed by CAMI it becomes almost indelible, even when the original HCP states that it was erroneous. The FAA should utilize some of its own risk mitigation strategies and lighten up on the ridiculous misleading information in medical records that has no realistic impact on safety.

My initial application contained the report which said "test indicated a possibility of X but subsequent testing indicated that there was no indication of X." Had the idiot AME (who committed other errors that Dr. B tells me should have gotten his designation pulled) called the RFS as I suggested (he said he did, but the RFS later confirms there was no record of his making an inquiry), I'd have not gotten deferred. It took nearly 12 weeks for the FAA to write back with the "we need more information" lots of it was completely irrelelvent. That's when I personally called the RFS and with both her and her pilot advocate on the phone, they were able to decipher some letters at the bottom of the page and allowed me to contact the reviewing doc and provide clarification. After that it took only a few days to get the SI (which I was happy enough about, even though it was a "not valid for any class after ... eight moths". It took my new AME a couple of years to convince Joklahoma city that the SI was in his words "********" and get me back on a normal issuance schedule.

Now twenty years later, doing basic med and happy.

My packed has been in DC since March. When I called last week they said to expect it to take another 4 months.

I don't send this to dishearten anyone, however, this is my story so far.

I would consider my case relatively simple - an SSRI for anxiety. My Class 3 Medical HIMS packet for SSRI was sent 8/31/2022. DC received it on 10/12/2022. I'm still waiting. I call every 2 months, and they tell me another 1-2 months. I submitted a congressional inquiry in mid June. In late June, I received an official response to anticipate 4-8 weeks to complete the review. 8 weeks ends in a few days. My MedXPress status has not changed, and I still show no medical on the Airmen registry.

Despite the SSRI being an approved medication, it doesn't feel like it is.

I would consider my case relatively simple - an SSRI for anxiety. My Class 3 Medical HIMS packet for SSRI was sent 8/31/2022. DC received it on 10/12/2022. I'm still waiting. I call every 2 months, and they tell me another 1-2 months. I submitted a congressional inquiry in mid June. In late June, I received an official response to anticipate 4-8 weeks to complete the review. 8 weeks ends in a few days. My MedXPress status has not changed, and I still show no medical on the Airmen registry.

Thank you Tim! .. question if I may. In the time it took for it to go from OKC to DC, what was MedEx saying? Did it say “in review” when it got to DC, or right after transition? I’m asking because mine went into review pretty quickly and wondering if that means it’s in DC. Thanks again!

Thank you Tim! .. question if I may. In the time it took for it to go from OKC to DC, what was MedEx saying? Did it say “in review” when it got to DC, or right after transition? I’m asking because mine went into review pretty quickly and wondering if that means it’s in DC. Thanks again!

It stayed at 'In Review.' The difference was the FAA Correspondence List file that was dated 10/12/2022. Shortly thereafter, I received a physical letter in the mail indicating my file had been received at the Federal Air Surgeon's office awaiting review.

Interesting. I submitted in May and the letter came dated June 2. I wonder if that means it went to DC that quickly.. thoughts?

Interesting. I submitted in May and the letter came dated June 2. I wonder if that means it went to DC that quickly.. thoughts?

I had heard the forwarding from OKC to DC had been optimized. I don't think they print and scan anymore - just digitally forward on. The letter should have a Washington, DC return address on it in the upper right corner.

I’ll check when I get home. I’m hoping that shaves off some time. Thanks again my friend!

I had heard the forwarding from OKC to DC had been optimized. I don't think they print and scan anymore - just digitally forward on. The letter should have a Washington, DC return address on it in the upper right corner.
It does! … DC address on letter.

you get this figured out yet?

It ihas gotten so bad that I am submitting the one-year post first issuance HIMS psychiatry report (2nd visit) while waiting. All so that the file is current when they get to it. It just getting.....unbelievable. :(

It ihas gotten so bad that I am submitting the one-year post first issuance HIMS psychiatry report (2nd visit) while waiting. All so that the file is current when they get to it. It just getting.....unbelievable. :(
Time for AOPA to get the legislature involved?

In your opinion is this a supply (fewer reviewers), demand (more applicants requiring agency review), process (more complicated or rigorous), a combination of all three, or something else?

I was issued my 3rd class SI (HIMS) in October as determined by a contact from Pilot Medical Solutions; I was sent an encrypted copy as proof and was told the mailed copy should arrive in a couple of weeks. Med Express status changed to 'Final Review' in August...IIRC...and still remains so! I still have not received the actual paper copy and the SI will expire at the end of March. Not a problem as I intend to go Basic Med but still crazy how backlogged CAMI is.

Back