HIMS evaluation required for Class 3?

T

tallyfriendlies

Hello,

Today I say an AME for a Class 3 medical clearance and was told that I'll need a HIMS evaluation for a DUI/marijuana possession (misdemeanor) from over 20 years ago (both in 2003). Additionally, I was diagnosed with ADHD in 2012, took medication (Stratera) for 3 weeks before deciding the diagnosis seemed inappropriate, and in 2013 the diagnosis was ruled out entirely following extensive (8+hours) neuropsych testing for my initial Army flight physical.

Since 2008 I have held a security clearance, earned 2 degrees, graduated at the top of my class from Army Flight School, logged over 1500 hours in Apache helicopters, and I currently serve as a senior Instructor Pilot (Active Duty). I've held a military medical clearance since 2014. I'm married with two kids, I don't have any issues with alcohol or drugs (random testing for the last 16 years of military service), and I've had no legal or adverse military actions.

Additionally, I earned my ASEL-Private last year. The only reason I tried to get my FAA medical was that the place I'm renting from won't accept my military med clearance (although FAR 61.23 allows it).

Understand if this is FAA protocol, but I'm just wondering if HIMS is necessary in my case. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, no one here gets to decide the answer to that question. The FAA is firmly in control of determining what's needed and I suspect will just ignore all the positives you listed in order to adhere to their own protocol, which is how the HIMS gets involved. It will likely take some time and money but it certainly sounds straightforward and might be quicker than most.

This is a case where I’d hire a lawyer and argue you proved “sobriety” for more than two years and are entitled to a unrestricted medical under 67.107.

While they usually just say no, a recent ruling, Erwin vs FAA, shows doing so WITHOUT SUFFICIENT justification is arbitrary and capricious.

You really don’t want some chucklehead HIMS guy doing an evaluation if you can avoid it. Keep in mind those folks put a guy in the program who blew a ZERO POINT ZERO as a designated driver, and that’s NOT a one of.

Edit: cool oxymoronic user name… gimme a shout if ya want, 423-883-0721.

Last edited:
Just another example of how the system is either broken, corrupt, or both. Events from 20 years ago that have not since been repeated along with a demonstrably successful personal and professional life since then. Is a military med clearance with a full neuropsyche evaluation less than the requirements for a class 3 FAA medical? The entire system is in need of a complete overhaul. I am convinced the FAA protocols have killed more people than they have saved.

Understand if this is FAA protocol, but I'm just wondering if HIMS is necessary in my case. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
The .mil medical process is infinitely more reasonable and flexible for most things than the FAA is. While you *should* be able to use your DOD first class as long as it’s effective, the day comes when it won’t and you’re smart to be inquisitive.

The non-negotiable FAA book answers for medical questions is available free of charge.

For HIMS related stuff, here’s more details

And for SSRI history

Note the FAA doesn’t care about your .mil history; this is like your initial TS background investigation…have you ever in your life…

Find an AME that specializes in complex cases and do a consult to find your path forward.

To the OP: Depends on the 20 yr ago BAC if any, and on the quality of the army Neurocog…..

Last edited:
Back