Hiking Shoes

garyb

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
garyb
Summer's coming and I need a pair. Obviously comfort and traction are priorities, but what else should I look for? Is waterproof a good idea? Right now I'm planning on the the mountains of Oman/UAE and later in the summer North Idaho and the National Parks in Utah. Anybody have pireps?

Shoes vs boots?

Trails (paved or reasonably groomed) or off-roading (rocks, whatever)?

Waterproof membranes like GoreTex or other brands do work well at keeping your feet dry in low-water areas, wet grass, slush, and mud. Plus you can hose them off while you are wearing them. The downside is they can be hot in the summer, so think about that trade off. If you expect to use them only in the summer then getting your feet wet just means changing into dry socks. But if you think you'll use them in sloppy, slushy conditions in other times of the year, then maybe.

I wore Merrells (low-cut) for a while until I wore out the last pair. They were great, very comfortable, easy to walk in for all-day type trips. I really wanted to try Keen next, but just couldn't get them to fit properly, so I went with North Face. I can't wait until those wear out so I can to back to Merrell.

Fit is more important than brand. I put a lot of miles on my hiking boots and I prefer Lowa. It's like they used my foot to build their boots. I have friends who use La Sportiva and say the same thing. There are lots of brands and lots of price points. Good boots aren't inexpensive but when you're coming down a scree slope in the rain? Good boots are priceless. Find what fits you.

I prefer GoreTex but some guys don't.

Fit is more important than brand.

+1

And the corollary to that is be willing to chuck your boots out after 40 miles if things aren't working out. Some people will spend $100 on a meal that only lasts an hour or two, but keep wearing painful boots hour after hour after hour rather than going and getting a pair that fits better.

REI is your best bet, lots of options, knowledgeable staff, and an insanely liberal return policy.

That being said, my next boots will be $450 Kennetreks....

KE-420-NI.jpg

Shoes vs boots?

Trails (paved or reasonably groomed) or off-roading (rocks, whatever)?

Waterproof membranes like GoreTex or other brands do work well at keeping your feet dry in low-water areas, wet grass, slush, and mud. Plus you can hose them off while you are wearing them. The downside is they can be hot in the summer, so think about that trade off. If you expect to use them only in the summer then getting your feet wet just means changing into dry socks. But if you think you'll use them in sloppy, slushy conditions in other times of the year, then maybe.

I wore Merrells (low-cut) for a while until I wore out the last pair. They were great, very comfortable, easy to walk in for all-day type trips. I really wanted to try Keen next, but just couldn't get them to fit properly, so I went with North Face. I can't wait until those wear out so I can to back to Merrell.

I would prefer shoes, I think. Mainly groomed trails, but want something that's not going to fail when the trail becomes 'not so groomed' -- Angel's Landing or The Narrows come to mind. The Middle-east is mostly dry and dusty with loose rock and the occasional wadi, so I'm thinking non-waterproof so long as they dry quickly. I hate sweaty feet. Can they be worn comfortably around town?

I am a Merrill fan also, but now that Salomon has been mentioned, I will point out that if one goes to Amazon, searches for hiking boots, then sorts based on user reviews, Salomon is right at the top. Who would have guessed? Not sure I could personally get past the colors but the reviews speak volumes.

+1

And the corollary to that is be willing to chuck your boots out after 40 miles if things aren't working out. Some people will spend $100 on a meal that only lasts an hour or two, but keep wearing painful boots hour after hour after hour rather than going and getting a pair that fits better.

I don't know why, but that's a tough one.

I would prefer shoes, I think. Mainly groomed trails, but want something that's not going to fail when the trail becomes 'not so groomed' -- Angel's Landing or The Narrows come to mind. The Middle-east is mostly dry and dusty with loose rock and the occasional wadi, so I'm thinking non-waterproof so long as they dry quickly. I hate sweaty feet. Can they be worn comfortably around town?

Yeah, they can be around town, too. You really have to try on different brands, though. They all seem to have their "house fit". Some brands are tighter/looser in the heel than others, for example.

I really liked these:
http://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-g...olor=J87577#cgid=men-footwear-view-all&start=1

but what worked for me and my type of hiking might be very different from you. They are my yard shoes now.

Depends on whether you're taking trails or not. With trails I'd go for lighter hiking boots, since you don't need adamantium for a relatively finished surface. For scrambling over rocks and such then you need expedition boots. Either can be had waterproof. I'd check Sierra trading post as I've had good luck with them. I'd still check an REI or outfitter for fit and comfort if you can find ones in which you're interested. Nothing worse than being in the bush with a poor fitting pair of boots. Remember to break in your new boots or you'll regret it.

I like my ankle high Timberland boots. Good fit & support, great life, comfortable, decent prices.

This thread is a prime example of why it's typically not wise to ask non-aviation questions on an aviation forum!

I'll hold my tongue...too much misinformation already dispersed for anyone to try to effectively right the ship now.

There are far better resource in the Internet for questions such as this.

:goofy:

I've always preferred Vasque Sundowners. First pair I had was made in Italy, and I should have kept them and re-soled them, but when they wore out I got another pair, but they switched to making them in China.

Still a good boot, I'm very happy with them, although they're a little heavier and more boot-like than shoe-like. But I like a heavier fuller hiking boot.

Another vote for Merrell. I do almost all my hiking in the SoCal mountains and desert, and appreciate a boot with a ventilating mesh -- the Merrell Moab Ventilators have worked really well for me.

Last edited:
I've always preferred Vasque Sundowners.

Okay, since someone else already scored...

Sundowners are the only hiking boots I've ever owned that I took out of the box and went backpacking for a week with no break-in and no blisters. Hands down, the best boots out there.

I've had many others and many leading/bleeding edge releases but always come back to Sundowners. If they fit right nothing else I've ever tried comes close.

I've recently been looking at hiking/trekking forums and there seem to be as many opinions about hiking shoes and boots as there are opinions about airplanes. Basically it boils down to what works for you. The gore-tex vs. non gore-tex arguments sounds pretty much like high wing vs. low wing. My opinion is that waterproof is nice if you are walking through wet grass or small puddles, but in a consistent downpour your feet are going to get wet anyway and gore-tex will be harder to dry (BTDT). Also, people whose feet get hot and sweat easily have a problem with gore-tex but that does not apply to me.

FWIW I own two pairs of Merrill Moabs low cut, one gore-tex and one not. I tried Keens but the heel was too loose.

Depends on whether you're taking trails or not. With trails I'd go for lighter hiking boots, since you don't need adamantium for a relatively finished surface. For scrambling over rocks and such then you need expedition boots. Either can be had waterproof. I'd check Sierra trading post as I've had good luck with them. I'd still check an REI or outfitter for fit and comfort if you can find ones in which you're interested. Nothing worse than being in the bush with a poor fitting pair of boots. Remember to break in your new boots or you'll regret it.
I'll disagree with you on the need for expedition boots for rocky surfaces. I'd consider anything more elaborate (and expensive) than my Keen Targhee IIs to be a luxury, and I've never had a problem with them here in the mountains of New England. I have to agree on fit being the most important consideration, and it's why I always buy Keens: no other brand's footwear fits my feet better.

As for relevance of asking about boots on an aviation forum? I wear my hiking boots for flying.

Last edited:
I hiked around Oman for a couple days back in May of '95. If you're going to be there that time of year, be prepared for awesome-level heat. Like 120F hot. You'll need shoes/boots that won't melt on 160F+ rocks and won't transmit the heat from the rocks to your feet.

Oman is a great country. Very friendly people, though with the recent problems in Yemen, things might be on-edge. The hiking/scenery was amazing (coming from a geologist).

+1 on the salomons' or some Merrell's. Either brand is not cheap, but worth the buy if you need some.

I hiked around Oman for a couple days back in May of '95. If you're going to be there that time of year, be prepared for awesome-level heat. Like 120F hot. You'll need shoes/boots that won't melt on 160F+ rocks and won't transmit the heat from the rocks to your feet.

Oman is a great country. Very friendly people, though with the recent problems in Yemen, things might be on-edge. The hiking/scenery was amazing (coming from a geologist).

I spent last summer here, but no hiking -- heat index creeping towards 140F and going to the beach to cool off was a big mistake. I plan to be in the States by then anyway. Most of the hiking will be in Musandam and Ras Al Khaimah. I'm going to Jebel Hafeet this week.

Good luck with the fit and durability of Columbias over the years.

Repeat customer.

That's a shame. They are comfortable.

REI is your best bet, lots of options, knowledgeable staff, and an insanely liberal return policy.

May have to go that route. For some reason, Dubai doesn't have a great selection of hiking shoes.

This thread is perfect timing. I'm currently looking for a new pair of light weight hiking shoe (not boot).

I already have several pair of boots but would like a rugged shoe for off track as well as the urban environment. Being in SoCal at this time I am really looking for a 2 season waterproof shoe.

Good grief. I just woke up to a raging sandstorm. Visibility at DXB is a couple hundred feet. :rolleyes2:

Last edited:

Does the weather and terrain exceed that of the American SW desert? If not, then I have found great relief from sole melting heat through the socks I wear for that environment. I've gone all day wearing one pair of socks and no complaint. I'm talking miles upon miles of hiking hill and dale across barren heated rock and sand.

Does the weather and terrain exceed that of the American SW desert? If not, then I have found great relief from sole melting heat through the socks I wear for that environment. I've gone all day wearing one pair of socks and no complaint. I'm talking miles upon miles of hiking hill and dale across barren heated rock and sand.

The temps are on par or maybe a little warmer, but with the high humidity, the heat index reaches astonishing levels. By law, when the temps reach 50C (122F), all outdoor work is to cease, so naturally the official temperature never reaches 50C, :lol: but it does get incredibly hot.

The hiking (from what I've found) is similar to the desert SW. It almost looks like Palm Springs only with more sand. And camels.

The temps are on par or maybe a little warmer, but with the high humidity, the heat index reaches astonishing levels. By law, when the temps reach 50C (122F), all outdoor work is to cease, so naturally the official temperature never reaches 50C, :lol: but it does get incredibly hot.

The hiking (from what I've found) is similar to the desert SW. It almost looks like Palm Springs only with more sand. And camels.

Wussies.:D I mean, wow! I've worked in 130F but it very low humidity. The temp was verified and I know the humidity was below 12%

My IFR checkride was in 34C and 62% humidity if that helps. So I had a great excuse why I was sweating so much.

The humidity will come in June. You walk outside and it hits you like a wall. Your glasses/sunglasses instantly fog up. The beaches will be deserted. The water is almost scalding hot and forget walking on the sand. Oman is about 10° cooler and their mountains about 10° cooler still, so the locals head for Salalah (cooler still) for the weekend or to Europe for the summer.

As an aside, I have a friend who flies for Emirates who tells me the reason their flights leave at night is not for scheduling reasons, but for the heat -- they can't launch at that weight. You fly into Dubai in the afternoon and it is a ghost town.

What kind of socks are you wearing?

Last edited:
What kind of socks are you wearing?

I'm looking at them right now. I bought them in a 3 pak at a USMC Commissary. No markings to ident. They are desert tan. As thick as the thickest hiking socks I've worn on glaciers, etc. Reinforced toe and heel plus arch. Some mix of cotton and synthetic blend. Sorry to not be more helpful.

The amazing thing is my feet sweat a lot but in these socks my dogs are happy all day.

On another note: I'll take the blast furnace effect of high heat/low humidity over high heat/high humidity. I've been in both and it I as you say, like a wall. But burning sand is burning sand no matter the humidity.

Last edited:
Regarding my statement: "Good luck with the fit and durability of Columbias over the years."

That's a shame. They are comfortable.

Maybe I stated that poorly. I meant "I have had good luck with the fit and durability of Columbias over the years."

I think I was misunderstood.

Re shoes: Weight is important, I try to find a compromise between weight and durability. There are plenty of lifetime hiking boots out there, but they weight ten pounds. I expect to replace them every year of serious hiking.

I don't care about waterproofing, more about how much water they retain and how long they take to dry. As mentioned they all get wet if you step in a river.

I am picky about the sole. Some of them are just too slick for rocks, others hold too much mud, etc.

I also use Merrill's and I am happy with them for a casual hiker, but there are plenty of choices. For a more serious boot I would also look at the Oakley tactical.

I exchange socks throughout the day. I use a thin sock like a smart wool and just bring an extra pair or two. Getting sweat soaked socks off your feet was the most important thing.

Just bought a second pair of Keens. Always seems like when I find a hiking shoe I like the second pair from the same manufacturer sucks.:mad: I have lukewarm brand loyalty as a result.

A friend, the best Cub pilot I've ever known and a durable all-around mountain man, stopped be to visit today. I noticed he wears Asolo boots. That's another brand that's up there with the best Italian boot makers.

Regarding my statement: "Good luck with the fit and durability of Columbias over the years."

Maybe I stated that poorly. I meant "I have had good luck with the fit and durability of Columbias over the years."

I think I was misunderstood.

I used to have really good luck with all of Columbia's gear. Made for real outdoors. Not so much of late. My last two pairs of lightweight hikers (shoes) haven't lasted long...and they weren't cheap either. Might as well have bought Timberland or some other cheapo brand.

That being said, my next boots will be $450 Kennetreks....

KE-420-NI.jpg

I try to avoid boots that take longer to put on than the hike will take! :goofy:

<JK...those look like nice boots>

Last edited:
I've worn the same boots in the deserts of Qatar, Kuwait, Iraq and the mountains of Af-stan. I wore them in Germany and when I was in Norway I put Norwegien Army overboots on and kept going. I recently spent a month on Wake Island in the Pacific and wore them everyday while working. When I'm at home I wear them in the yard and shop. They are comfortable, leather bottoms and nylon tops and have drain holes, and provide ankle protection and support.
I recently had to sew the leather where it tore at the top of the heal cup. Not bad for 12 years of use.

That said, I have no idea what you should buy but I think the Marines gave me a good pair of boots that lasts and does its job.

I have boots, and hiking shoes from Vasque, Merrel, One Sport, and Asolo. They are all good, just go to a place like REI and try a bunch on. You get what you pay for.

Good rule of thumb for hiking boots is to check out the models that have been in production for some time.
Shoe manufacturers seem fickle with their styles to drive sales. If the public has a good constant demand for a certain model of boot, it could be a good guess that it is well made with good features. Repeat buying says a lot, too.

Also, make sure you go to a place that sells many shoe models. Your fit needs may be somewhat unique from the rest of the crowd. If you are going to be carrying a load or backpack, don't neglect to test the boots while walking steep downhill. Your toe box must be protected. I've been a Scoutmaster for twenty years!

Back