Hike near airport in NYS

SSR

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
SSR
Looking for an airport in New York that has a 1-2 hr hike that can be done right off the airport property. It doesn't need to be strenuous, just worth the flight. Due to pandemic restrictions, we need a reason to fly within the State.

Maybe something in the Adirondacks? Need 4000 feet of runway and instrument approaches would make it more convenient. Thanks for ideas.

I know this is not 100% in your criteria, but I was looking at Mid-State (PSB) near Phillipsburg, PA, just north west of Penn State and I think there are some trails very close to that airport. Here's the link I used to research this question recently:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/73574/

I was hoping there was a google mashup of the aviation charts with national park hiking trails. Does anyone even do Google Mashups anymore?

I was going to suggest Marcy Field (1I1, right at the Cascade / Porter Mountain trailhead) until I saw your 4000' criteria. Not too many airports that big in wilderness areas.

I know this is not 100% in your criteria, but I was looking at Mid-State (PSB) near Phillipsburg, PA, just north west of Penn State and I think there are some trails very close to that airport. Here's the link I used to research this question recently:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/73574/

I was hoping there was a google mashup of the aviation charts with national park hiking trails. Does anyone even do Google Mashups anymore?

Thank you for the idea. While PA still doesn't count, as they require quarantine for anyone entering the State, I realized that CT and NJ are reciprocal with NY, so I can take a day trip to hike in either of those too. Expands the search anyway.

So far, looks like Lake Placid may be an option. The best trails are not near the airport, but there are a few. Taking an Uber to a trail head is a possibility, but I'd rather avoid it. Cell coverage or availability might not be reliable. Fly in, hike, fly out would be plan A.

Really just looking for an excuse to fly and something to take up these boring distanced days.

I was going to suggest Marcy Field (1I1, right at the Cascade / Porter Mountain trailhead) until I saw your 4000' criteria. Not too many airports that big in wilderness areas.

Thanks anyway. Truthfully, I put a margin of ease in the 4000ft requirement, but 2390 is definitely not going to work for the Baron. I could do it when very light and an unobstructed departure corridor, but no need for this to become stressful.

About your only choice in the park would be Lake Placid or Saranac. Placid had a free shuttle that ran into town, maybe they cold drop you off at a trail head, the ski jumps (right next to the airport), or Mt. Van Hoevenberg, which is cool (Bobsled run, ect.).

Pete

Thanks. No requirement to be in ADK. That was just a presumed target rich environment.

K09, Piseco, is one of our favorites and it's pretty much right on the Northville-Placid trail (I think that's the trail...one of really well known main long trails). You can even camp right on the fiels, I believe, but there's staffed campgrounds within hiking distance on the road, or backpack camoing off the trail, too...maybe a lean-to a couple miles in...don't remember. Catch is, unfortunately, the runway's jist over 3000'.

K09, Piseco, is one of our favorites and it's pretty much right on the Northville-Placid trail.

airnav says fuel is restricted at K09. Have you been able to get fuel there?

Download the alltrails app. it has a map view screen that paints trails and airports on the same screen.

Looking for an airport in New York that has a 1-2 hr hike that can be done right off the airport property. It doesn't need to be strenuous, just worth the flight. Due to pandemic restrictions, we need a reason to fly within the State.

Maybe something in the Adirondacks? Need 4000 feet of runway and instrument approaches would make it more convenient. Thanks for ideas.

Montauk? Walk the beach and the surrounding area is all park. Runway is 3200' but is sea level :D

Personally? I'd go wherever I wanted that got you isolation regardless of state and enjoy your hike. That complies with the spirit of the executive order and has the bonus of telling a overbearing bureaucrat to "take a hike, I did"

As ill conceived as many of the travel rules are, I'm not going to break them. ADS-B makes that pretty easy to prove too.

I've been trying to match up AllTrails with an online sectional chart. Nothing ringing the bell quite yet.

Looks like Lake Placid will be IMC/MVFR until Sun afternoon. I've been in there before, but IFR mins are pretty high.

As ill conceived as many of the travel rules are, I'm not going to break them. ADS-B makes that pretty easy to prove too.

I've been trying to match up AllTrails with an online sectional chart. Nothing ringing the bell quite yet.

Looks like Lake Placid will be IMC/MVFR until Sun afternoon. I've been in there before, but IFR mins are pretty high.

SLK is a much better facility and you can get a rental car. There is air carrier service there, so it’s well tended. But the wx up there is no joke at times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, SLK is a substantially better field. However, I'm just looking for an excuse to fly, get some exercise, kill some socially distanced time, until the freaking pandemic is done. I'm not really interested in dealing with a rental car. Just want to land, go for a short hike, then fly home.

It's been a while since flew into LKP. Trying to recall what altitude one needed to get to VFR, in order to pick up a clearance airborne. Recollection is it was high enough VMC that one wouldn't need IFR.

Yes, SLK is a substantially better field. However, I'm just looking for an excuse to fly, get some exercise, kill some socially distanced time, until the freaking pandemic is done. I'm not really interested in dealing with a rental car. Just want to land, go for a short hike, then fly home.

It's been a while since flew into LKP. Trying to recall what altitude one needed to get to VFR, in order to pick up a clearance airborne. Recollection is it was high enough VMC that one wouldn't need IFR.

Well it depends if you want to fly the long way around the Adirondacks or not. Peaks close to 6. If I recall 4500 would barely be enough to come through VFR in an airplane like a Baron... lots of dangerous terrain close in to the lake placid airport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenwood lake 4N1 has a forested park-like area with mountain bike/hike trails right next to it. It was a Warner Bros. park called Jungle Habitat that went bust and was turned back into forest.
Harriman and West AQW has the Adirondack trail towards Mount Greylock just .5 mile south of the airport.

airnav says fuel is restricted at K09. Have you been able to get fuel there?
Haven't been there in a year or so, and didn't get fuel the last time. The field was staffed, fuel was available, and folks were friendly. Now you've got me planning a fact-finding flight! ;)

Thanks Matthew. Just read up on Jungle Habitat after you mentioned it. What a ‘wild’ story. Have to check that out.

Ok, I took a crack at this. Here's a list of trails near airports for the US. Import into your favorite EFB.

Attachments

• user_waypoints.txt
    10.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back