Highest TBO on an O-200?

Rogue_Ryder

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rogue_Ryder
01010_aT3N2eRk9At_1200x900.jpg

If I'm reading this log book entry right; he's over 1600 beyond TBO and the cylinders were replaced 2700 hrs ago; and the lowest compression is only 68 psi! Many years ago I worked in a maintenance shop as an A&P apprentice and I saw few cylinders in the 50s when doing an annual (at which point we'd replace the cylinder); and I swear we never had something come in with that amount of hours since overhaul. Of course I never worked on an O-200 or even O-300 there (for whatever reason the small engines were Lycomings and the only Continentals I saw were the big ones like the 470 and 520.

Anyone with a lot of experience with O-200s ever see something like this before? Is it possible a log book or book entry was lost?

Sounds like a traffic plane I used to fly. Six hours of flying a day, a pair of landings, with just a handful of power changes per flight and those little engines will soldier on.

Not sure I’ve seen one that far past but the little o200 is about bulletproof. I’m convinced the small Continentals are the most durable engines ever. If they are flown enough and maintained properly the bottom end could go for a long time.

Harry Fenton, The guru on the O200 as well as the other engines the family, has said that they very commonly double TBO.

Back