Highest Elevation Public Airport in your State?

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
What is the highest elevation Public Airport with an asphalt or concrete runway in your state?

Vega Texas E52 is 3995 elev.

Last edited:
Hot Springs, Ingalls Field (HSP) is the highest public use airport in my home state of Virginia (and I believe east of the Mississippi) at 3,793.

The highest public use airport in Maryland, the state where I keep my plane, is Garrett County (2G4), at 2,933.

I'm sure these are laughable to the folks Rockies and west.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. Mammoth (KMMH) is at 7,100 feet but there are some smaller mountain strips that are higher. It's not depicted on the sectional but there is a paved, restricted use airstrip Southeast of Bishop called Coyote Flats, which is right at 10,000 feet elevation.

I'm not sure which is highest in Indiana but it doesn't really matter since the highest point in the state is only 1250' or so. My plane is based at Newcastle which is 1050'. I used to have a plane based in Moriarty NM at 6002' and that wasn't the highest in the state. I think the lowest in NM was somewhere in the 3000' range.....maybe hobbs or Lovington.

Frank

Isn't FL something like 15'?

I learned to fly out of X04 outside of Orlando.... 143' msl if I remember correctly..

Highest point in Fla is around Lake Wales and Boch Tower..

Got to go there last month. Got the certificate, and Murphey as a witness, and some photos as proof.

Nice place to visit!

Excellent - was meaning to ask if the certs showed up. One of these days you'll have to come back and do it in the summer and learn what density altitude really means!

I'm not sure which is highest in Indiana but it doesn't really matter since the highest point in the state is only 1250' or so. My plane is based at Newcastle which is 1050'. I used to have a plane based in Moriarty NM at 6002' and that wasn't the highest in the state. I think the lowest in NM was somewhere in the 3000' range.....maybe hobbs or Lovington.

Frank
Yup, NM is yellow or brown on the sectinal. IIRC the top of Steamboat ski area is lower than the base of Vail. Always thought that was odd.

A "fun to me" elevation phenomenon was my first long XC flight to Dalhart this year.

Almost all my flying prior had been around DFW, going south towards Houston, and to East Texas.

Flying out to Dalhart at 6500ft MSL was the first time for me where pattern altitude (4991) was nearly at my cruise altitude, and when returning to Denton, I departed just slightly above pattern, and was already at my desired cruise.

This experience was one part of the flight that caused me to remember the good experience gaining advice of flying longer XC's to airports outside of your normal operation range.

IIRC the top of Steamboat ski area is lower than the base of Vail. Always thought that was odd.

Vail base elevation 8,120'
Steamboat top elevation 10,568'

And not the highest, but the lowest:

Furnace Creek (LO6), elevation -210 feet. It's in Death Valley.

Sounds like Mammoth is a bit higher, but the highest I have flow out of in my Cherokee 140 was Big Bear, CA (L45) at 6800 ft. It was about 28 degrees and it climbed OK (close to 500 ft/min) with just me in the plane. I don't think I would try it in the summer, though, with only 150 horses.

Sounds like fun. What did you fly in there?

I drove by it this summer while I was Fly Fishing in the area. Nice town.

Got to go there last month. Got the certificate, and Murphey as a witness, and some photos as proof.

Nice place to visit!

Leadville, Colorado - KLXV 9927'

Mine too, until last year. Now it's a little ;) lower: Jefferson County, NC — KGEV at 3178 ft.

Someone once told me it's also the highest public airport east of the Mississippi but I think that honor goes to KHSP, Ingalls Field Airport in KHSP Ingalls Field Airport Hot Springs, VA at 3793 ft.

Nice place to visit!

I ski near Leadville every winter and visited the airport last January. By car. Hope to fly there one day.

Everything else is flatland.

Well, let's just say everything else is "lower." Leadville is in a wide flat valley — very easy access (except for density altitude) and far more a "flatland" airport than, say, Glenwood Springs 4,000' lower but in a canyon.

The highest point in the Florida peninsula is around Lake Wales. Britton Hill is in the panhandle on the Georgia border.

and ?

the question was in state not portion of your state was it not ? :idea:

not sure what your point is, i know where Britton Hill and Lake Wales were already. :confused:

if'n yous justa making some converstions than that was lost on me...

and ?

the question was in state not portion of your state was it not ? :idea:

not sure what your point is, i know where Britton Hill and Lake Wales were already. :confused:

if'n yous justa making some converstions than that was lost on me...

Responding to this portion of your post:

"not sure if you were just being facetious"

The highest point in the Florida peninsula is around Lake Wales. Britton Hill is in the panhandle on the Georgia border.

I thought the highest elevation in Florida was a landfill.:wink2:

I think Memaloose, 25U, at 6708 ft may be the highest public use airport in Oregon.

Johnson - M61 1446'
Did they pave their runway? Otherwise, it doesn't qualify -- see the OP.

Anyway Y73, Stambaugh (Iron River) is higher, 1622'.

In the LP, probably KGLR (Gaylord) at 1328'.

edit: I see Capt. Thorpe beat me to it...

Last edited:
Did they pave their runway? Otherwise, it doesn't qualify -- see the OP.

Anyway Y73, Stambaugh (Iron River) is higher, 1622'.

In the LP, probably KGLR (Gaylord) at 1328'.

edit: I see Capt. Thorpe beat me to it...

When did I post? When did he edit his original post and change the parameters?

The fun flight is from Big Bear (L35) to Thermal (TRM, elev = minus 115')). 6,867' elevation change in a 52 nm flight.

Back