Higher education anyone?

creative,cute,funny,illustration,iron,irony,picture-a7fbc42ab4855aed2c0f89d60e270acb_m.jpg

Well, she's an associate professor, which means she probably has tenure; so at least she doesn't have to worry about her job.

Rich

Well, she's an associate professor, which means she probably has tenure; so at least she doesn't have to worry about her job.

Rich

Tenure is no protection for this, she's toast.

Rich

I've recently learned that a public university can't punish you for anything you say. 1st amendment and all. :dunno:

She'll probably be promoted.

I've recently learned that a public university can't punish you for anything you say. 1st amendment and all. :dunno:

Especially since her incoherent babbling was political in nature (and extremely far-left at that). They're probably make her Chancellor of the university.

Rich

Not a chance. Get real! I know people like to dump on education, but really???

She would not necessarily have tenure and I would think that any decent school with a good reputation would can her immed! The directors would insist on it. But then the episcopal church here in maryland just made the front page with a drunken bishop type woman who killed a fellow on a bicycle, ( she was drunk and had a prior DWI and was allegedly also texting. ) one never knows.

Last edited:
Seriously?
Yes, associate professorship usually means tenure. But tenure protects against being let go for no reason, and for things like publicly taking a controversial stance. Exhibit a pattern of failing to show up for work, or don't carry out your expected duties (the usual triad, research, teaching, service), or do something monumentally crazy like this, and you will likely be history.

Though it depends on the details too... if it turns out her episode was due to a health condition, she might be given medical leave to get it taken care of. But if she was just drunk, or if this wasn't the first time... time to find another job.

She would not necessarily have tenure and I would think that any decent school with a good reputation would can her immed! The directors would insist on it.
\
My bet is she will get put on PAID administration leave for 6 months.. till the whole thing blows over.. and she will end up being a dept head in the end....:mad2::mad2:

Nonsense. Smoking on an airplane isn't protected speech. She was arrested for disorderly conduct. Behavior unbecoming and unprofessional, negative publicity for the university.

\
My bet is she will get put on PAID administration leave for 6 months.. teh whole thing will blow over.. and she will be a dept head in the end....:mad2::mad2:

Care to put any money on that bet?

Nonsense. Smoking on an airplane isn't protected speech. She was arrested for disorderly conduct. Behavior unbecoming and unprofessional, negative publicity for the university.

You mean like Professor Bill Ayers ???

\
My bet is she will get put on PAID administration leave for 6 months.. till the whole thing blows over.. and she will end up being a dept head in the end....:mad2::mad2:
That's possible but I wouldn't expect it unless there are MAJOR extenuating circumstances.

She's a sociology professor. She'll probably say it was an experiment.

Rich

You mean like Professor Bill Ayers ???
Unless there's something about him that I don't know about, there's no comparison between the two cases. THAT was politics. This is acting like a lunatic.

Unless there's something about him that I don't know about, there's no comparison between the two cases. THAT was politics. This is acting like a lunatic.

Don't LUNATICS blow up police stations???:dunno: :confused::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Pennsylvania: Pittsburgh on the left, Philadelphia on the right, Alamaba in the middle. :rofl:

Not to mention after what penn states been thru I would imagine they are very sensitive to public opinion. She's toast.

Even with tenure you can get canned for doing something illegal. Seen it happen.

The really embarrassing thing is seeing a fellow academic smoke. Sorry, it is't like the very dangerous side effects aren't public knowledge and all.

I do an impassioned anti-smoking diatribe for my introductory students. I figure if I can get one person a year to not smoke or stop smoking I will have paid the sate back my salary. That's how expensive care is for cancer patients.

Back