high wing or low wing

The 1968 have an airfoil much like the late model 210's. The 1970 and newer ones have an airfoil more like a 172. You can see the difference in wing thickness.

The 1976 RG I occasionally fly has a wing that looks quite different from a 172. No idea if it's like a 210.

Aileron and flaps are highly streamlined (it's not easy to get at the flap pushrod during preflight), and that sucker is real fat. The fuel vents are in the wingtips (and well hidden) and the tiedown loops retract like they do on 182s. The fuel caps are the seal-type (like on cars), but I think that's an STC.

The 1976 RG I occasionally fly has a wing that looks quite different from a 172. No idea if it's like a 210.

Aileron and flaps are highly streamlined (it's not easy to get at the flap pushrod during preflight), and that sucker is real fat. The fuel vents are in the wingtips (and well hidden) and the tiedown loops retract like they do on 182s. The fuel caps are the seal-type (like on cars), but I think that's an STC.

You missed the point. the airfoil shapes is what i was describing. the 1968 & 1969 fixed gears have a much thinner profile than the 177B and 177RG. Ailerons are like late 210 on all 177s.

like comparing a mooney wing to old piper.

Wings are important. You can keep a better eye on them in a low wing.
lol

Sorry. I'm really just jealous that I'll will never have to deal with this question, although I've been raised in a "high-wing" family with concessions that the best would be either the Cardinal or Skymaster.

If only the 177 really did replace the 172 way back when and all Cessna's were now based on that... :(

I've got a few hours in a '68 177. I couldn't stand the airplane. It flew exactly like a 152 on the controls. It wasn't very fast. PIO could easily become an issue.

I think a new 177RG might be a better airplane. Still looking to get my hands on one.

I've got a few hours in a '68 177. I couldn't stand the airplane. It flew exactly like a 152 on the controls. It wasn't very fast. PIO could easily become an issue.

I think a new 177RG might be a better airplane. Still looking to get my hands on one.

:confused: 152's PIO easy? Seems like a poor comparison.

I had about 200 hours in a 62 C150 before the 68 C177 came along, and like you, I hated the 177 at first. Only because it was so much different. C177 takes much more precise pitch inputs to master the airplane, unlike any other Cessna I've flown. That's why almost all of the 177s have had some sort of firewall damage.

When doing power off simulated engine failures to landing, its not very forgiving on when you flare, its just difficult to arrest the decent without sink. That has to be part of the thin wing issue. Doing it at night makes it more difficult.

After you master pitch it's very fun to fly in handling. One of my best secrets to 177 flying is set a stable glide on approach, get your arm set in a position where all you need to do is bend your hand at the wrist to flare. If you pull up and down moving your whole arm like you can in every other Cessna you'll quickly be in BAD POI. I like the light & responsive feel of the ailerons and rudder. Pitch is very responsive but firm.

None of the fixed gear 177s are very fast IMHO.

1968 177 can be had about the same cost as a 197X 172. I'd personally rather have the 177 for comfort, but the 172 has fewer parts. In theory the O320 172 is cheaper maintain than an O320 177.

Only thing I dread about the 68 is the carb heat box/lower cowl. I believe most or all the 69s have the same design.

Last edited:
So in summary an Cardinal is not a cardinal is not a cardinal???

And I was hoping it would be simple.

Back