• Bi plane

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JustinD

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JustinD
Not your typical "what's better" but thought it would be interesting to see the split amongst the plane owners in here.

So which do you own or primarily rent? For me its a high wing.

Own a low wing ,as I get older I’m considering a high wing for easier entry,exit.

I own a high-wing and fly a high-wing for photography, but I'd gladly accept the right low-wing. There are plenty of fun low-wing aircraft out there.

I’ve owned two high wings (clears the fence posts better).

I also had the pieces to a Staggerwing for a while, but the mission would’ve been different.

I own a Bo...so low wing. Before that I owned a Cherokee, again low wing. So I guess you can say I like low wings. haha

I actually prefer a low-wing from a pilots perspective. It's mostly about visibility & seeing other traffic.

I own a 182 because it suits my mission. Before I bought the 182 I almost purchased an S-35 Bonanza.

They're all good. Kinda like girls, even the ugly one have their virtues.

Last edited:
Own a low wing ,as I get older I’m considering a high wing for easier entry,exit.

Did an IPC in a Warrior about a year ago. I have to admit that stepping down into the cockpit and getting out is a lot harder than stepping up in the 172 at the flying club.

I fly both (172, 182, 182RG, Archer) in the two clubs I belong to. I prefer the low wing but my wife has cast her vote when we buy for two doors and I've been married long enough to learn to choose which hill I don't want to die on.

So it looks like the future list may include 182RG, Commander 114 or a Sierra. We'll see.

Last edited:
voted high wing because that is the only planes I have rented. Of course that was over 25 years ago. Have owned a low wing since 1996, 2 door Sport.

High wing/ low wing I don't care, the plane must have 2 doors...:rolleyes:

Have both and like both for different reasons. In the summer and when out fun flying I prefer the high wing. In the Winter and when it comes time to fuel I prefer the low wing.

57 years old, low wings for years, but I can see a high wing in my future....

Huge problem getting my 80 year old dad and 84 year old father in law in and out - and getting worse!

I said both because my club has a 172 and a Tiger that I fly pretty much equally. Prefer the 172 for instrument training. Prefer the Tiger for YE flights and XC (same fuel burn as the 172 but faster). Downside to the Tiger is it turns into an oven in the summer. Upside to that is the wife was so freakin’ hot she took off her shirt during one XC.

On the ground I prefer high-wings, in the air low wings.

I own a high-wing for the type of flying I like to do, but also wouldn't discount a plane because it's a low wing.

Trained in Cessnas and a few hours in Cherokees, have only owned Grummans.

guess I should have included a biplane and a midwing! Whoops!
+ 9 wings

CaproniCa.60.jpg

The Caproni Ca.60 Noviplano in 1921.
"It featured eight engines and three sets of triple wings."

Own a low wing, Piper Arrow. Instruct mostly in high wing, C172. Full time gig is fling wing, EC145.

Trained in a high wing Tecnam, presently renting a Cherokee. Shopping for a low wing. Prefer the low wing’s visibility, particularly when preparing to take off and looking for aa plane on final.

I actually find ingress and egress to be easier with the Cherokee than the Tecnam. Stepping onto the wing is easier than hoisting myself over the door sill to get into the high wing, plus I can set things on the wing (headset, iPad, etc.) while getting situated in the cockpit.

And fueling the low wing is MUCH easier.

High wing but only because that's what the company has. It's probably best for the flying we do, but just barely.

Ever seen a successful airplane that flaps it's wings?

schmid.42.jpg

Adalbert Schmid 1942 manned ornithopter

schmid.47.jpg

Adalbert Schmid 1947 manned ornithopter

http://www.ornithopter.org/history.manned.shtml

"By 1947, however, Schmid had built a second ornithopter. This one, a modified Grunau-Baby IIa sailplane, was constructed with flapping outer wing sections. Using a 10 hp engine, this double-seater was capable of speeds estimated at 100 to 120 kilometers per hour. "

schmid.42.jpg

Adalbert Schmid 1942 manned ornithopter

schmid.47.jpg

Adalbert Schmid 1947 manned ornithopter

http://www.ornithopter.org/history.manned.shtml

"By 1947, however, Schmid had built a second ornithopter. This one, a modified Grunau-Baby IIa sailplane, was constructed with flapping outer wing sections. Using a 10 hp engine, this double-seater was capable of speeds estimated at 100 to 120 kilometers per hour. "

I went looking for a video of a flying ornithopter. This is the only one I could find, and I wouldn't call it successful.

Honestly, it’s like glass vs steam, it’s really all the same to me

That said most of the good backcountry planes are high wing

That's what I would like to buy or build. A nice 2 seat backcountry plane. Maybe after I retire in 3 years.

Know a guy with a S108 for sale

I own a Skylane RG, but have flown the whole PA-28 Cherokee lineup. I like the looks of the low wing, but they are too hot in the summer time. The low wings not only have lots of windows allowing sun in, the white wings reflect heat back to the cabin.

Unless you're looking straight down, the visibility out of the Cherokees is better than the Cessna high wing series (except maybe the 177 Cardinal). In the Cessnas, especially the Skylane, the panel sits high, so forward visibility is so-so. To look out the side windows in the Cessna, you kinda have to dip your head since your head is up in the wing root area. Passengers also expressed their preference for the low wing for visibility.

Getting in and out, the Cessna high wing has the clear advantage. When I flew Cherokees, I strategized my pre-flight and post-flight activities to minimize numerous trips up the wing and into the cabin, especially in the heat of the summer. The single door on the Cherokees is just a silly design. I worried this would be more of an issue as I got older, hence my decision to stick with a high wing.

Handling characteristics and landing technique differed slightly. Even the Piper Arrow's brick-like glide ratio with the gear extended was easy to master after a few landings.

Back