High-speed, low-flying video

looking at the ALT they climb 200 ft at a blink of an eye.

wow

Pretty sure its in the 'altitude' series.

Google 'altitude four' and you'll find one of a bunch of cool videos.

AirBaker said:
Pretty sure its in the 'altitude' series.

Google 'altitude four' and you'll find one of a bunch of cool videos.

Not much altitude on some of those. I'm convinced I sit higher off the ground in a 172 while taxiing than some of those views from the cockpit. :D

Pretty cool! It reminds me a little of when I was a grunt riding around in the back of a Huey in RVN at tree top level, hoping the pilot saw the tall tree up ahead...

Not much room for error there, one twitch away from a fireball.
Did that guy really start messing with a chart at 30'agl? Hope the average cessna flyer doesn't get the wrong idea from that.
Very much a 'wow' video though!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Did that guy really start messing with a chart at 30'agl?
When I was in the AF the RF-4C could fly on autopilot within a few hundred feet of the ground. It had a Forward Looking Radar that gave it climb and descend commands. Any malfunction would cause an immediate climb command. My recollection is that crews never used it because they didn't trust it. My guess is that with more modern electronics, this type of system is much more reliable. I'll bet they still don't trust it though.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Not much room for error there, one twitch away from a fireball.
Did that guy really start messing with a chart at 30'agl? Hope the average cessna flyer doesn't get the wrong idea from that.
Very much a 'wow' video though!

Yeah, that's what I said! What in the world is he doing fiddling with a sectional at 10 feet?! That blew me away, I figured I missed something....

And here I've been concerned about flying at 1000' AGL under a low overcast in a 182. New meaning to cajones! I loved that guy just standing on the ground by the chopper, noncalantly watching them zoom by.

jkaduk said:
could fly on autopilot within a few hundred feet of the ground. It had a Forward Looking Radar that gave it climb and descend commands. Any malfunction would cause an immediate climb command.snip

We had a B1 with a similar system tunnel into a mountain here some years back (word is they were using terrain following radar); as you say I can't imagine trusting it. (if that is what they were relying on in the video)

There are a lot of low flying military types around. I keep hearing stories of the Air Guard guys playing chicken with a train. (Train won).

Low and Slow is fun... Low and fast - a bit more fun. :)

Also in the 'altitude four' video, you'll catch a quick shot of them buzzing some guys in a little hut-shop on the side of the road.

Back