High performance... whoa

Many pilots far more experienced that I have recommended leaving some additional margin and advocated against full stall landings.

And its my opinion that you never put the wheels on the ground while the plane is still flying if you can help it. Get hit by a gust of wind while rolling out with sufficent speed to fly once and you'll know what I mean. I almost totaled my plane and severely injured myself and my passenger.

Now I don't use extra speed to cover poor flare technique.

Just my humble.

And its my opinion that you never put the wheels on the ground while the plane is still flying if you can help it. Get hit by a gust of wind while rolling out with sufficent speed to fly once and you'll know what I mean. I almost totaled my plane and severely injured myself and my passenger.

Now I don't use extra speed to cover poor flare technique.

Just my humble.

Yeah I dunno where that snuck in.. Always fly it as long as possible. I even hold the nose off after touching down until I don't have enough airpressure to keep it up anymore. Maybe that's overkill but I love holding my attitude after touchdown until it is physically no longer possible. Its become sort of a game to me. Sometimes it gets hard to do when your adding more and more alieron for the crosswind, taking the flaps out... (to put weight on the mains and safety buffer from gusts since your wheels are already on the ground) maybe gently pressing the brakes [rare] if I am trying to make the first taxiway to give more time to the guy on short final or something. Lot going on at once there but it seems to me that aerodynamic braking is so much more effective than those little brakes on those little shopping cart wheels.

<---<^>--->

Many pilots far more experienced that I have recommended leaving some additional margin and advocated against full stall landings.

These are the same idiots who are running off the end of the runway and have to have a 5000' strip before they can land a Skylane.

Yeah I dunno where that snuck in.. Always fly it as long as possible. I even hold the nose off after touching down until I don't have enough airpressure to keep it up anymore. Maybe that's overkill but I love holding my attitude after touchdown until it is physically no longer possible. Its become sort of a game to me. Sometimes it gets hard to do when your adding more and more alieron for the crosswind, taking the flaps out... (to put weight on the mains and safety buffer from gusts since your wheels are already on the ground) maybe gently pressing the brakes [rare] if I am trying to make the first taxiway to give more time to the guy on short final or something. Lot going on at once there but it seems to me that aerodynamic braking is so much more effective than those little brakes on those little shopping cart wheels.

<---<^>--->
Wheels stop better than earo drag. Get on them hard and you feel the seatbelt hold you back, much more than aero brakeing

These are the same idiots who are running off the end of the runway and have to have a 5000' strip before they can land a Skylane.

Im not gonna quite call them idiots, a little, very little extra speed may be ok when learning the plane but you still need to hold it off and you should be working towards proper energy management.

Now the bent firewall im fixing? 182 Landed fast...

A bigger shock is going to be after you have been flying 200hp+, then suddenly find yourself in a lower hp airplane.
I was in the right seat when a friend of mine encountered that. He was used to much faster, larger aircraft... but had to do some landings and a very tired rental Archer was all he could get on short notice. At 85 knots it took a bit of work to get it on the ground. He did it, but just barely, and it wasn't pretty. I would even go so far as to say that plane was wrestled to the ground and held there by force while he stood on the brakes. I understood then why we flew 40 miles to an unattended airport for this. :)

I suggested we might want to take a quick look at the POH while going for Round 2.

Im not gonna quite call them idiots, a little, very little extra speed may be ok when learning the plane but you still need to hold it off and you should be working towards proper energy management.

Ess not tan option when you learn to fly from a 2700 foot runway.

I got checked out in the 182 and then went to give a ride in the 152. I ended up aborting the takeoff in the 152 because I didn't think it was accelerating correctly. After finishing the ride in the 172 I when back to the 152 to see if it was me or the airplane. After taking it around the pattern once solo I decided it wasn't running properly and reported it to the mechanic. Turned out it wasn't running right.

Then I got my complex endorsement in a Mooney followed by a check out in the Champ the Landing check list went from....
Ram air-Off
Cowl Flaps-Set
Carb Heat-On
Gas - fullest tank
Undercarriage- down
Mixture-set
Prop - forward

Champ...
Carb Heat - ON

Sure seemed like there should be something more to do in the Champ.

Brian

Ess not tan option when you learn to fly from a 2700 foot runway.

a knot or two is, but it still needs to be bleed before landing.

However I agree 100% that the goal is on speed aproach and landing. You're checkout isn't done untill you can do it.

Wheels stop better than earo drag. Get on them hard and you feel the seatbelt hold you back, much more than aero brakeing

That's true only at very slow speeds. And being on the brakes with the flaps retracted and the nose in the air works best of all. Of course the brakes bring the nose down too, how fast depending on how hard and how soon you get on them... But like I said that takes a bit of practice to do it all at once. I hardly use the brakes anyway. If I needed the brakes I did it wrong. Or it was a 1500' runway..

<---<^>--->

That's true only at very slow speeds. And being on the brakes with the flaps retracted and the nose in the air works best of all. Of course the brakes bring the nose down too, how fast depending on how hard and how soon you get on them... But like I said that takes a bit of practice to do it all at once. I hardly use the brakes anyway. If I needed the brakes I did it wrong. Or it was a 1500' runway..

<---<^>--->

No disagreement that you don't need them. Saves wear on brakes and tires to roll out too.;)

Brakes are for holding it at run up and stopping in front of the hangar when done flying. Don

Just to clarify my earlier, i dont practice adding speed on final. My goal is to squeal the stall horn on the flare. I just dont play the hold it off game just in case I'm higher in the flare than I thought.

I go for: EEEEEE........Blump then ease the nose down, retract flaps, full elevator then brakes if I want the next turnoff

182s are excellent birds to learn the CS Prop. Don't worry, it all settles down and you'll be craving more. =)

The first time a person flies an Apache, if it's their first experience with a twin, all the extra gauges and handles makes it feel fast :rofl:

I rememner thinking a 172 rg was fast, and it scared me a little.

Then it was a 182

Then a 206

Then a columbia 400

Then a Phenom 100

Now its a phenom 300

They all required respect. And every one landed with the power at idle. None of this partial power landings that people do because they use the improper landing pitch attitude.

Brakes are for holding it at run up and stopping in front of the hangar when done flying. Don

I always just jump out and chock the airplane when the Ground controller says, "Give way to the Gulfstream on your right." It's so much safer than using the brakes.

;) :D

I rememner thinking a 172 rg was fast, and it scared me a little.

Then it was a 182

Then a 206

Then a columbia 400

Then a Phenom 100

Now its a phenom 300

They all required respect. And every one landed with the power at idle. None of this partial power landings that people do because they use the improper landing pitch attitude.

Yeah, it is about respect, isn't it? I did all my primary training in a 172, so never experienced just how low-powered the 152 is for example, but the 182 is definitely a beast the first time you try it. Now that I have almost 5 hours in it, I have learned its tricks and can ride it well. The experience also will give me pause to get myself oriented when I move up to, say, a 210 or Saratoga (two of the planes I'm considering buying down the road). And a jet? oh boy. I guess I'd love to try one some day, but that just has to be a whole different ball of wax.

Haven't gotten a chance to fly the 172 or Cherokee since I started the 182 transition - I'm a little concerned about doing it before I get checked out in the bigger bird, so as not to mess up my "revised muscle memory" - but I'm sure it will be a whole different kind of interesting, too.

Back