High performance checkout

182ms

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
C182ms
I have just purchased a C182p and the ac is located in west Texas near ama.

My son is a newly minted ppl and I am an airline pilot with little recent ga experience.

I am looking for someone to possibly (cfi) ferry with my son and I from ama to Cincinnati or spend some time in our airplane getting a high performance sign off for him prior to the flight to Cincinnati.

Ideally he could get signed off in the Cincinnati area (in a 182) prior to the trip but I am open to ideas.

Thank you.

Fwiw, the accident statistics on owners ferrying new to them AC is shockingly bad.
Can't recall where I read it recently, but got my attention.
Factor in low time in winter adds even more possible challenges.
I'd get a good CFI to ride right seat and enjoy the trip.

182 is a fairly simple machine. Flies like a 172 with more torque and p factor, plus CS prop and cowl flaps. IMO a few hours of dual with a CFI at the point of sale should be sufficient. VFR XC from Texas to Cincy in winter is a big bite to chew for a brand new PPL alone, but the two of you together should be fine, as long as you are willing to wait out weather enroute if necessary. IMO sounds like a great father-son adventure.

182 is a fairly simple machine. Flies like a 172 with more torque and p factor, plus CS prop and cowl flaps. IMO a few hours of dual with a CFI at the point of sale should be sufficient. VFR XC from Texas to Cincy in winter is a big bite to chew for a brand new PPL alone, but the two of you together should be fine, as long as you are willing to wait out weather enroute if necessary. IMO sounds like a great father-son adventure.
Also a bit more nose heavy which has caused quite a few pilots quite a bit of angst on landings. Also their may be insurance constraints. When I got my 182 as a newly minted ppl my insurance required 5 hours and 10 landings with a cfi. Could not fly passengers til I had 10 hrs solo in it. When I replaced it with a 206 had similar but less onerous insurance requirements. Agree with cfi company, and weather lookout
Different avionics may be an issue as well.
It is a great plane . Have fun. Be safe.

I got my HP endorsement as part of a flight review and it took all of an hour or so. There’s really nothing to it. The bigger of the learning curve would be the constant speed prop if he’s not accustomed to one. I would have the CFI sit right seat during the flight home. From a safety
and value standpoint, I think it would be best.

I am looking for someone to possibly (cfi) ferry with my son
I think that’s good thinking. I wouldn’t be thinking in terms of a sign off before the trip, but using the trip as part of the transition training to meet what is likely to be a 5 or 10 hour dual insurance requirement.

Yes, as others have and will say, if you are already flying a 172, a 182 is about the easiest transitions one can do. But “easiest” doesn't mean “easy for everyone.“ Almost any first transition for a newly minted PPL will be a challenge. There are just enough differences to make it a real challenge. You don’t want to add a long solo cross country to complete a mission to get home to that.

My son is a newly minted ppl and I am an airline pilot with little recent ga experience.

I am looking for someone to possibly (cfi) ferry with my son and I from ama to Cincinnati or spend some time in our airplane getting a high performance sign off for him prior to the flight to Cincinnati.

Ideally he could get signed off in the Cincinnati area (in a 182) prior to the trip but I am open to ideas.

Thank you.
Lotsa good input above. What’s your and your son’s calendars look like. What comes to mind with me is a saying, ‘if you don’t have time to spare, don’t go by air.’ Have contingency plans. What if weather delays things. What if problems with the plane delays the trip. Here’s my story. Bought a C177 Cardinal in Florida. I live on the West Coast. Insurance says I gotta have, 10 I think it was, hours with a CFI. Took awhile to find a CFI with Cardinal experience, but found one. That’s not a problem you’ll encounter with a 182. My destination was Lancaster, CA, KWJF. Plan was to get an IPC on the way, which I did. But we only made it as far as El Paso when a leak in the fuel vent lines was discovered. Had to change the CFI’s return reservation back home to Daytona from Phoenix, that’s as far as we had planned, to from El Paso. I couldn’t wait in El Paso long enough to get the plane repaired, so had to fly airline home. Couldn’t get back to get the plane for over a month.

Thank you.
Congratulations on the new to you 182.
Sorry I can't help as my CFII is too busy as he fly's commercially.
Sporty's has a 182 that your son could get checked out in.
Good luck with it.

Back