High density altitude operations

One of the last ones out of MT with obstacles and short strip-really no room for error there!

Thanks for sharing that. I enjoyed watching it.

I noticed a couple of things. He had an AOA display on the dash. That can be useful if you know how to use it. He didn't talk very much about the POH and calculations for takeoff and landing distances at various altitudes. It is nice to know beforehand that your airplane has the capability required before you go. He did include the field elevations and density altitudes, so he was prepared, more information was just not included on the video. Of course, the 182 and it's performance is well known, so we can all track down the numbers ourselves if we want.

The last comment I noticed on the first takeoff. Right after takeoff the airplane turned right towards rising terrain when lower terrain was available straight ahead or to the left. Why would you do that, especially in high altitude when close to the ground? We weren't in the plane and our perspective was from the ground, so we don't know what was happening from that point of view. I just found that takeoff a little odd.

Have Fun! Fly Safe! Pete

The last comment I noticed on the first takeoff. Right after takeoff the airplane turned right towards rising terrain when lower terrain was available straight ahead or to the left. Why would you do that, especially in high altitude when close to the ground? We weren't in the plane and our perspective was from the ground, so we don't know what was happening from that point of view. I just found that takeoff a little odd.

Have Fun! Fly Safe! Pete

It may have been because that’s where the upslope lift was? Just a guess. Or perspective. Or bad decision making.

I just finished watching density altitude with Harry Bliss. I really enjoyed watching it. Thank you for sharing that. I have my own density altitude story, but it is not as dramatic as that one. My wife and I and our dog flew our Cherokee 140 into Cackleberry Airport 2E8 in Dexter Mi in the summer a few years ago. We stayed with her dad for several days and then flew home. Cackleberry is a 2100 ft grass strip at 898 elevation. I measured the fuel remaining and calculated our total loaded weight, then computed the takeoff distances with a safety factor added for the grass runway at different density altitudes. The morning we left I concluded 88°F was the hottest temp I could safely takeoff from there with all of us, and 90°F was stay on the ground. That temp was expected at about 10:30. So we had to leave before 10:00. The backup plan was to solo the airplane to a different and longer paved airstrip, load up and leave from there if necessary. We ended up in the air at 9:45 at 83°F. Everything went well and I learned a lot from the experience. Any airport anywhere could be too short or unsafe for your airplane depending on existing weather. Never forget that and you and your family will stay alive.

Have Fun! Fly SAFE! Pete

Last edited:
For maximum safety with marginal high altitude performance take off at first light. You can load the plane in the dark. This is how I crossed the high Colorado Rockies, summertime, in an 85 HP Aeronca Chief with two pax and baggage. (And soaring technique.)

Back