High Altitude airport training

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Just a reminder for those interested...the Colorado Pilots Association is holding its Mountain Flying/High Altitude airport ground school this saturday, June 24, 2017. Full day of ground and flight when you & the CFI can arrange it. By the way, Bill Standerfer heads up the team, and will be speaking (again) at Airventure this year, Monday morning (don't have the time & location yet).

Details at www.coloradopilots.org

I would love to see what this is all about.
I have done extensive mountain flying to all the Colorado mountain airports... BUT, in a jet.
That's not the same and I would love to actually see what a mountain course entails.

I would love to see what this is all about.
I have done extensive mountain flying to all the Colorado mountain airports... BUT, in a jet.
That's not the same and I would love to actually see what a mountain course entails.
Safety is #1. Discusses the many airports, density altitude, mountain passes, emergencies, weather, taking photos, etc. The practical is 3-5 hours depending on the airplane. One of the routes is KAPA, over BJC, Corona Pass, KGNB, KSBS, hang a left down to the valley near Vail, Glenwood Springs, backtrack to fly near Aspen, (optional) then backtrack again to Leadville KLXV and get your certificate, down the valley, then hang another left, fly over South Park (yes, it really does exist!) perhaps fly "behind" Pikes Peak and Cheyenne Mtn back to KAPA.

This is not a back country, dirt strip course. For that, head to Idaho.

The class will run again in late August. Also counts as a BFR, if you'd like.

Last edited:
Safety is #1. Discusses the many airports, density altitude, mountain passes, emergencies, weather, taking photos, etc. The practical is 3-5 hours depending on the airplane. One of the routes is KAPA, over BJC, Corona Pass, KGNB, KSBS, hang a left down to the valley near Vail, Glenwood Springs, backtrack to fly near Aspen, (optional) then backtrack again to Leadville KLHX and get your certificate, down the valley, then hang another left, fly over South Park (yes, it really does exist!) perhaps fly "behind" Pikes Peak and Cheyenne Mtn back to KAPA.

I would just love to sit in on the ground portion.
I truly would find it interesting.

I'm very well versed in some of those subjects, but not all.

I have zero clue with low altitude flying through passes.

I would just love to sit in on the ground portion.
I truly would find it interesting.

I'm very well versed in some of those subjects, but not all.

I have zero clue with low altitude flying through passes.
Well, come on over to Denver this weekend! It's an all day class, 8-5. The course is specific to Colorado but the concepts are fundamental.

Well, come on over to Denver this weekend! It's an all day class, 8-5.
Shucks... I'm in Denver now but leaving.
I may come back out because it does sound like a good learning experience.

You may have said it, but where exactly? I would fly into DEN.
Not sure I can make it as the wife may have other ideas.

Minimum 180hp and no cruise prop... :(

I'd think you'd learn a lot more in a J3 or 150, if you are wind aware and manage energy.

Shucks... I'm in Denver now but leaving.
I may come back out because it does sound like a good learning experience.

You may have said it, but where exactly? I would fly into DEN.
Not sure I can make it as the wife may have other ideas.
Doing it again late August. Fly in anywhere, get a car and hotel by BJC. The course is conducted in the large conference room at the Jeffco....er....Rocky Mtn Metro airport aka KBJC.

You're here and didn't tell anyone? We never need a reason to get together for lunch or dinner when someone's in town

I'd think you'd learn a lot more in a J3 or 150, if you are wind aware and manage energy.
There are people who do the flying part in LSAs.But it's not recommended and you need to talk with the coordinator. But you're welcome to fly it in a J3.At this time stamp, 10 pm MDT, DA at Leadville is over 11k. Checking specs, the ceiling of a J3 is 12k. To get to Leadville, you need to be at least 12.5k MSL, which is about 1000-1500 AGL over the ridges.

Last edited:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

The GA portion of mountain flying will never affect me personally, but I've always been intrigued about what it consists of.
As I said, I've done extensive flying in the mountains of Colorado, but when you are flying a jet it bends the laws of physics a bit.

Doing it again late August. Fly in anywhere, get a car and hotel by BJC. The course is conducted in the large conference room at the Jeffco....er....Rocky Mtn Metro airport aka KBJC.

You're here and didn't tell anyone? We never need a reason to get together for lunch or dinner when someone's in town
To be honest yes I'm here on a layover... I often am.
Truth is i know I'm not real well liked here so never reached out.

The GA portion of mountain flying will never affect me personally, but I've always been intrigued about what it consists of.
As I said, I've done extensive flying in the mountains of Colorado, but when you are flying a jet it bends the laws of physics a bit.

Exactly.

What I'm saying is I'd rather this course be limited the other way, no more than XX HP per seat or something.

What you'd learn in the course with a Instructor in a 65hp J3 far surpasses what you'd gain form you and the CFI flying the same route in a 300hp 185.

To be honest yes I'm here on a layover... I often am.
Truth is i know I'm not real well liked here so never reached out.

Meh, I'd still grab a beer with ya :)

Exactly.

What I'm saying is I'd rather this course be limited the other way, no more than XX HP per seat or something.

What you'd learn in the course with a Instructor in a 65hp J3 far surpasses what you'd gain form you and the CFI flying the same route in a 300hp 185.

Thanks... I like both your quotes!

Exactly.

I don't know any of the qualified & experienced mountain CFIs that would go up with another person, in a J3, in the summer, and fly the route. But you're welcome to come out here and try it. I'll have the CAP guys on alert to come find the wreckage.

This is not a course to evaluate and compare metrics. It's designed for people to be safe and enjoy flying in Colorado, with the emphasis on safety.

Of course you're welcome to create your own class, advertise, and conduct it any way you wish.

Safety is #1. Discusses the many airports, density altitude, mountain passes, emergencies, weather, taking photos, etc. The practical is 3-5 hours depending on the airplane. One of the routes is KAPA, over BJC, Corona Pass, KGNB, KSBS, hang a left down to the valley near Vail, Glenwood Springs, backtrack to fly near Aspen, (optional) then backtrack again to Leadville KLXV and get your certificate, down the valley, then hang another left, fly over South Park (yes, it really does exist!) perhaps fly "behind" Pikes Peak and Cheyenne Mtn back to KAPA.

Notes: Route varies by horsepower -- there's essentially two main commonly used routes but CPA doesn't mandate a particular route and ground course students are able to meet and greet with instructors who've volunteered to work with CPA.

The flight is done outside the legal auspices of CPA technically (last I checked) and is an agreement between pilot and instructor as an independent thing.

That said, CPA does vet the instructors they recommend.

Also the Flight Review is optional, kinda like anything else you choose to do with a CFI. If you want it to count as an FR, communicate that up front so the CFI does all the correct things.

And... last but not least, the ground portion counts for a nice chunk of Wings credits and the flight portion is whatever Wings stuff you work out with the instructor.

He's saying the CPA folks have a limit on aircraft to be used. They had to draw the line somewhere but if someone owned something wimpish, they could talk to the older CFIs and probably find one willing to fly it with them in calm air on the "low" route.

Like @James331 says, it'd be a much tougher lesson and might entail not making it to where you want to go in summertime temps. Probably best saved for early fall.

James, there's some other reasons they want the 180 HP minimum but there's also some rather eye popping stories of some high HP aircraft and owners who have, shall we say, had such weak stick and rudder skills that certain airports were skipped for safety along the route.

Remember the crowd that shows up can have a wildly varying skill set and if they're owners, a wildly varying equipment list, and the organizers and whoever has put on the Chief Instructor hat for Instructor briefings is attempting to juggle the lowest time and least current pilots into pairing off work the highest time (and most likely to survive them) instructors, as well as set some hard rules for even the instructors not to push students who aren't doing so well on airspeed control and aircraft handling into tough situations.

They want everyone to grow and learn something from it, and folks who need more help usually get the grizzled vets and folks who are going to do okay get the newer instructors, etc. Every one of the events is a new group and has different needs. There's even been some type clubs who have done private versions of the course for members and those can also be wildly varied in skillset and knowledge level.

It's pretty easy to tailor the routes to a particular airplane and student though. It's done every session.

Example: In my case, I was a local with some good mountain experience but wanted to do the full course, get the certificate, yadda yadda. I was paired with a grizzled vet who also had lost his medical. That way I could be PIC and still go learn some stuff from him without putting anyone completely unfamiliar in the mountains with a possible medical emergency in the absolute worst case scenario. I knew how to get myself out and also to an airport.

We had a good time. He showed me where to fly through the treeline at LXV if I ever had a student and an airplane that refused to climb, even if the book said it would. :) He also showed me some tricks as to how to get out of Aspen and over the ridge to the Reudi Reservoir area on a no-lift very hot day in the 182. We came within 2 degrees F of the hard no-go limit at LXV. It was hot that day for up there.

70F if I remember right, is the limit there as I recall. Try finding a 70F DA at LXV on your typical 70s Cessna or Piper performance chart. That takeoff roll was loooooong even on only half tanks and the two of us on board. Fun day. Coaxing a Skylane aloft in those conditions is well worth seeing once, if you've already seen bad performance from high DA before. That day took that to another level.

Last edited:
I don't know any of the qualified & experienced mountain CFIs that would go up with another person, in a J3, in the summer, and fly the route. But you're welcome to come out here and try it. I'll have the CAP guys on alert to come find the wreckage.

This is not a course to evaluate and compare metrics. It's designed for people to be safe and enjoy flying in Colorado, with the emphasis on safety.

Of course you're welcome to create your own class, advertise, and conduct it any way you wish.

These guys do it with 0hp :eek:

http://www.milehighgliding.com

Actually you'd probably learn more about high altitude and mountian ops getting your glider ticket with them in that area instead, get much more out of it, it's really all about being wind aware, basic performance calculations, energy management and as always staying ahead of the plane.

Ether way, sounds like a fun course and well worth it if you learn something new.

Be sure to post a write up and some pics when you get back!

These guys do it with 0hp :eek:

http://www.milehighgliding.com

Actually you'd probably learn more about high altitude and mountian ops getting your glider ticket with them in that area instead, get much more out of it, it's really all about being wind aware, basic performance calculations, energy management and as always staying ahead of the plane.

Ether way, sounds like a fun course and well worth it if you learn something new.

Be sure to post a write up and some pics when you get back!

Frankly I'd join Boulder Soaring Society. Even if just for a year and fly with their instructors and ships. Same airport. Boulder.

Mile Hi is a commercial op and their ships are a lot older tech. I don't want to say a few other things I might regret posting in public about them, mostly business related and not so much against their instructors.

And to be fair, Boulder has had some problems at all of the sailplane entities over the years with safety but... and it's a big but... if you measure it by flight hour, it's well in line with anywhere else.

They just do a crap-ton of it. In fact, pressure to keep towing longer than the gas will last has been a problem up there in the past and caused a couple of accidents. Enough said about that. It's been dealt with. The current folks in charge have an absolute no-way-you'll-take-just-one-more-tow policy on fueling tow planes now.

The mission and the training are quite different between the sailplane folks and CPA.

CPA's goal is to educate flatlanders and Highlander's alike, how to safely take powered aircraft into Colorado's non-backcountry paved (and really quite nice) airports, and do it safely and understand the performance problems of flying to places like that in the mountains. Like Murphey said, it's not Idaho and it's not backcountry training.

Soaring folks are working ridge lift when they push back into the rocks and are obviously learning how to visualize wind over terrain and understand much riskier "weather" than CPA is shooting for with complete noobs to the mountains who'd like to go land at Aspen, Glenwood Springs, Leadville, etc.

The Soaring folks can also open up the wave box with Denver Center and go up well into Class A airspace using mountain wave, too. And do fairly frequently. I hear that it's impressively warm in the sunshine inside those canopies but you'll be time limited by how cold your feet get.

All my glider time was at Mile Hi in the 90s. A friend who flies out of Boulder and the Soaring Society keeps picking on me to get up there and add the glider ratings including CFI-G once this powered CFI stuff is all done. I probably will. It's just an insane drive up there. It's so far from home that it's almost faster to go get the 182 at APA and fly it up there to go Soaring.

Joint SSB and EAA Chapter BBQ a couple weekends ago... we flew that same friend and his girlfriend up with Karen and I to see everyone and hang out. Lovely weather for it. Even his drive from central Denver is longer than driving to APA and hitching a ride in the 182. Ha.

0943fa60a3d23119341bac6603856e8a.jpg

9c72d0cc997f90fb7e4b6a4613b3ef90.jpg

Back