Hidy ho neighborinos... new member

Skyrys62

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Meet the Fokkers
Just wanted to say howdy...this is my first post here on POA.
I woke up a few months ago on a cool November morning, and as soon as I opened my eyes I said to myself "I'm going to get my pilots license".
This was 1 month before my 54th birthday, and I have no idea why it took so long.
I, like most all of you, had looked to the skies in awe since childhood.
We flew the gas powered model airplanes attached to control strings/handles, and had dogfights with them (in the early 70's). I loved that, and also building model airplanes.
Even jumped out of the barn once with cardboard wings I had made....but only once. (too much sink rate)
My mom divorced and that life went away.
Then at age 14 I sat in a Japanese Zero Kamikaze suspended from a tall ceiling. According to the museum guide it was one of a few (four I believe he said) that flew to Pearl Harbor and was recalled as the attack had ended before this plane carried out it's task. I was with someone that knew the management, and they rolled out some tall stairs and gave me special permission to get in.
That was pretty dang cool... and stuck with me forever as I sat there and imagined flying, machine guns blazing.
From that point on, up until Feb. 1st 2017, I had never since stepped foot inside a small aircraft or even stood next to one.
But on this day, finally, I would fly.
I climbed into the local Cessna 172N, checklist, taxi, full power, gave the CFI a new visual of what a scared snake looks like going down a runway...and then boom!!! lift off!!

Scared the crap out of me.

but then I thought, hey.....at least they aren't cardboard wings.

Welcome and congrats on finally getting into flying! :)

I woke up a few months ago on a cool November morning, and as soon as I opened my eyes I said to myself "I'm going to get my pilots license".
This was 1 month before my 54th birthday, and I have no idea why it took so long.
We flew the gas powered model airplanes attached to control strings/handles, and had dogfights with them (in the early 70's). I loved that, and also building model airplanes.
Even jumped out of the barn once with cardboard wings I had made....but only once. (too much sink rate)
Then at age 14 I sat in a Japanese Zero Kamikaze suspended from a tall ceiling. According to the museum guide it was one of a few (four I believe he said) that flew to Pearl Harbor and was recalled as the attack had ended before this plane carried out it's task. I was with someone that knew the management, and they rolled out some tall stairs and gave me special permission to get in.
That was pretty dang cool... and stuck with me forever as I sat there and imagined flying, machine guns blazing.
From that point on, up until Feb. 1st 2017, I had never since stepped foot inside a small aircraft or even stood next to one.
I climbed into the local Cessna 172N, checklist, taxi, full power, gave the CFI a new visual of what a scared snake looks like going down a runway...and then boom!!! lift off!!

I really doubt that you sat in a Japanese Zero Kamikaze.

But welcome anyways.

Hmm...well, that was the story I was told.
That was 40 years ago, and I remember how cramped but bare the cockpit was. Almost no gauges, which the museum guide explained was due to them not expecting to return, and also to maximize fuel.
A small wooden plaque was mounted to the panel and had the pilots prayer carved in it in Japanese writing. I could barely close the canopy it felt like.

Welcome to POA and the sky, Skyrys62. Better late than never! I am totally an amateur pilot (i.e. I fly only for personal transportation and have no desire to pursue a commercial license, fly for the airlines, etc.), and I am so glad I took up flying when I did. I'll bet you will be also.

There are a decent amount of Mitsubishi Zeros in the US. Anything is possible.

But one that was to be used as a Kamikaze and at Pearl Harbor, no less? Maybe my recollection of that part of history isn't what I thought it was.

DutchRoller may be pulling your chain because a "kamakazie" would be sunk or destroyed

Welcome to POA and good luck with flight training! It might feel a little crazy now but after the first 10 hours things will really settle down.

But one that was to be used as a Kamikaze and at Pearl Harbor, no less? Maybe my recollection of that part of history isn't what I thought it was.
Yea, I was taught that they were locked in their cockpits, and were killed if they came back. I was also told that their planes were full of explosives.

Sounds like a mid-life crisis. Good luck with the training!

Welcome to PoA! Where everyone nitpicks and ******* about everything!

Ha ha... well I'll feel right at home (or work)

In regards to the Zero, I wouldn't make that up...and didn't start heavy drugs till at least a couple years later :)
There's a few around. I don't remember where we were at the time. Smithsonian has one, and some place in California. The Pensacola National Aviation Museum has one, which you can see on their website.

To answer the other question, I hail from Owensboro KY.

Been flying out of KEHR, in a neighboring city of Henderson, KY. Class G airport. Only one FBO in each town, and the local was full up with students.
I did do an intro flight with him though and flew a Cherokee 140. Loved how it handled.
For now though, I've got 13 hrs in a 1977 172N called Charlie XRay. (N733CX)
CFI told me after I finished our last flight that he was going to surprise solo me, but during the flight the wind shifted and picked up for some gusty crosswinds so he held off. It's been 20-40 gusts everyday since, including today but he said to be ready as soon as the weather breaks.

A little nervous. It doesn't feel like a lot of time in the cockpit.

There are a decent amount of Mitsubishi Zeros in the US. Anything is possible.
No, it's not possible.

There is no such thing as a Kamikaze recalled from Pearl Harbor.

Kamikazes came into existence in 1944, almost three years after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Zeroes were around, but they were not Kamikazes.

No, it's not possible.

There is no such thing as a Kamikaze recalled from Pearl Harbor.

Kamikazes came into existence in 1944, almost three years after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Zeroes were around, but they were not Kamikazes.

Maybe it was recalled at Pearl Harbor and later intended for use as a kamikaze.

That's possible.

My first post is bouncing around almost as much as my first landing!

Again, I'm just going by what the museum guide told me. Right or wrong as they might have been, that experience is a great memory and likely has contributed (even if a little) to my eventual decision to fly.

I've learned a lot from reading around on this forum so thanks to everyone for the welcome's, experience, expertise.... and even if there's nitpicking and bitching, you get history lessons to boot!

My first post is bouncing around almost as much as my first landing!

Again, I'm just going by what the museum guide told me. Right or wrong as they might have been, that experience is a great memory and likely has contributed (even if a little) to my eventual decision to fly.

I've learned a lot from reading around on this forum so thanks to everyone for the welcome's, experience, expertise.... and even if there's nitpicking and bitching, you get history lessons to boot!

You will get used to it. And for goodness sake don't tell everyone you own a business and want to fly incidental to your business.

Otherwise, Welcome.!! I thought I waited a long time to start flying at 33.

Congratulations! Flying is an amazing thing to do. I look to the sky with amazement, almost as much as I look to my (shrinking) bank account in amazement. :p

Seriously, sounds like you're moving along very well. Don't be surprised by the Solo. Your CFI will only turn you lose when he/she thinks you're ready, and you will be as you'll be using your checklists the whole time!

Welcome! I got my license last year and I was 49. Stick with it. It is rewarding. Be safe and enjoy every second. Your first solo happens only once; same with first solo XC, and check ride.

Welcome to POA!

Chasing the PPL will be a blast. We have all hit learning plateaus and get frustrated but survive. I hope it's s a fun adventure for you and look forward to your posts on your solo.

Don't let the nitpickers bug you. Some folks on here put everything under a microscope, they need to spend more time flying.

Last edited:
Welcome to POA!

Chasing the PPL will be a blast. We have all hit learning plateaus and get frustrated but survive. I hope it's s a fun adventure for you and look forward to your posts on your solo.

Don't let the nitpickers bug you. Some folks on here put everything under a microscope, they need to spend more time flying.
Boroscope

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Welcome!

We're in much the same boat (or plane, I should say). I'm 55 and working on my Sport Pilot license. Recently soloed, now waiting for a calm day to do my dual xc.

You'll find lots of good advice here. Also lots of bad advice. The game is to survive long enough to figure out which is which.

Grab a cup of coffee, help yourself to a donut, and join in.

Obviously you got your medical out of the way?
Best of Luck!

Hidy ho again.

Had a minor break in the winds and got the solo done this morning. It was great.
As you can see by my picture we had a decent crosswind. (that hair is a built in windsock)!!
Took 'er up and put 'er down 3 times for the win.
Never hit the center line, and told the maintenance guys they wouldn't have to worry about painting those stripes for a while till I get more practice...
But bloody hell it was fun!

firstsolo.jpg

Congrats! I was just down river from you Saturday picking up a dog in Paducah. Definitely breezy! I'm guessing your winds were about 40 degrees off your nose for that solo. Good work.

Good for you man. Have fun!

A late welcome but welcome to POA glad to have you here. Enjoy the banter and learn a lot!

Back