Hi everyone

DRzKing

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DRzKing
I just wanted to ask if one of you pilots could like tell me things that i need to know. I'm not a pilot but I'm planning on becoming one. So it would be nice if someone could like give a little class :D hehe. If someone can, then message me or if you want to do it in the forum so everyone can see is okay too hehe. THANKS.

Hi DrZ,

Did you decide on a college yet?

Welcome to the board. Good to have new members.

BTW, how did you learn about POA?

...if someone could like give a little class...

sure, lots of classy folks around here - just ignore the blowhards

On the other hand, if you want to exhibit a little class try wearing clean shirts, shine your shoes, get a haircut, and learn to speak using grammatically acceptable forms.:rofl:

I just wanted to ask if one of you pilots could like tell me things that i need to know. I'm not a pilot but I'm planning on becoming one. So it would be nice if someone could like give a little class :D hehe. If someone can, then message me or if you want to do it in the forum so everyone can see is okay too hehe. THANKS.

I don't think you'll find anyone here who's going to make a presentation but if you can come up with questions they surely will be answered. There are some online resources you might want to look into at AOPA and EAA.

http://www.aopa.org/letsgoflying/
http://flighttraining.aopa.org/projectpilot/

http://eaa.org/learntofly/
http://www.eaa.org/apps/blog/learntofly/Default.aspx

I'm going to apply for Vaughn College, but before i get there, i want to learn a few things or the necessary things. But i don't know what those are and that's what i want to know.

I'm going to apply for Vaughn College, but before i get there, i want to learn a few things or the necessary things. But i don't know what those are and that's what i want to know.

Dude, you're gonna have to help us out a little...

...are you wondering what you should know about aviation before you apply, how you should conduct yourself during the interview, whether you should wear clean clothes?

There is an essentially limitless supply of free information from well-informed (often professional) pilots and businessfolk here, but you should take a little time, and write a clear, concise post describing:

1. Where you are in life- how old, what year in school, that sort of thing;
2. What you hope to achieve- what degree(s), what career;
3. What you have learned thus far about the schools and/or life paths you are considering;
4. What you like - and dislike - about each of the above; and
5. What you'd like to know from us.

You cannot simply assume we all know what you are thinking, and you cannot communicate with the world at large in IM-speak- we don't all know what you know, we don't know *you*, and we cannot guess enough to really help you.

So, sit back, take a deep breath, and tell us about yourself. We like meeting new folks, and I bet we'll like you a lot when we get to know you.

Best,

/s/ Spike

Dude, you're gonna have to help us out a little...

...are you wondering what you should know about aviation before you apply, how you should conduct yourself during the interview, whether you should wear clean clothes?

There is an essentially limitless supply of free information from well-informed (often professional) pilots and businessfolk here, but you should take a little time, and write a clear, concise post describing:

1. Where you are in life- how old, what year in school, that sort of thing;
2. What you hope to achieve- what degree(s), what career;
3. What you have learned thus far about the schools and/or life paths you are considering;
4. What you like - and dislike - about each of the above; and
5. What you'd like to know from us.

You cannot simply assume we all know what you are thinking, and you cannot communicate with the world at large in IM-speak- we don't all know what you know, we don't know *you*, and we cannot guess enough to really help you.

So, sit back, take a deep breath, and tell us about yourself. We like meeting new folks, and I bet we'll like you a lot when we get to know you.

Best,

/s/ Spike
He gave us some of this information in his original [thread=24535]thread[/thread]:
He's 17 years old (as of last October, at least), lives in Manhattan, has always wanted to fly, wants to be a captain quickly (in a few years) so he can get paid and did improve spelling and punctuation as he went on with the posts.

He also still has that annoying "hehe".:mad2:

He gave us some of this information in his original [thread=24535]thread[/thread]:
He's 17 years old (as of last October, at least), lives in Manhattan, has always wanted to fly, wants to be a captain quickly (in a few years) so he can get paid and did improve spelling and punctuation as he went on with the posts.

He also still has that annoying "hehe".:mad2:

Now see, there you go. He has the opportunity to realize that many of us have s hort little span of attention...

...hehe! :D

Well, since you guys have some of my information already, then I'm just going to ask questions. So, let's begin with this one. What rules do i have to follow while flying and when I'm in the airport?

Well, since you guys have some of my information already, then I'm just going to ask questions. So, let's begin with this one. What rules do i have to follow while flying and when I'm in the airport?

Rule #1: Don't do nothing stupid.

When you're in training, your instructor is responsible for making sure you don't break any rules and you will learn the rules yourself as part of the training you will receive.

That's probably not the answer you were looking for but you're question covers a lot of ground. The main thing at the beginning is to just do what your instructor says to do.

Answer: A WHOLE BUNCH!

Buy this book:

http://www.rodmachado.com/Product/Books/Private_Book.htm

Then read it!! You'll not only answer your question above, but you'll be ready to take the first written and oral exam you'll face in your trek to become a pilot.

Answer: A WHOLE BUNCH!

Buy this book:

http://www.rodmachado.com/Product/Books/Private_Book.htm

Then read it!! You'll not only answer your question above, but you'll be ready to take the first written and oral exam you'll face in your trek to become a pilot.

I agree, 100%. Best book I've ever read, and it prepared me for my checkride more than any other written material has prepped me before.

Ground school is for suckers.

You need to capitalize and punctuate all written communications. Even in email.

That will depend a lot on the airport you are at. At KGTG we have no rules. I can take off VFR and fly all day, come back and I don't have to tell a soul, not even my wife!:yikes:

Dan

That will depend a lot on the airport you are at. At KGTG we have no rules. I can take off VFR and fly all day, come back and I don't have to tell a soul, not even my wife!:yikes:

Dan
Since he lives in Manhattan, I think it's safe to presume he's going to be flying in or near Class Bravo.

Pretty much all of them. :D
Seriously, that's a long list, and it depends on the airport, the plane, the pilot, the weather, whether or not it is a commercial flight, etc., etc. You're asking for a huge chunk of ground school, for free, in one web forum thread. That's asking a lot. :eek:

Get yourself a copy of the FAR/AIM and just start reading it. An inexpensive way to start.

Also: if you can narrow your questions down a bit, you might try posting them in the Pilot Training forum, where the instructors hang out. Instructors love to recite rules, regs and everything else. :D

Pretty much all of them. :D
Seriously, that's a long list, and it depends on the airport, the plane, the pilot, the weather, whether or not it is a commercial flight, etc., etc. You're asking for a huge chunk of ground school, for free, in one web forum thread. That's asking a lot. :eek:

Get yourself a copy of the FAR/AIM and just start reading it. An inexpensive way to start.

Also: if you can narrow your questions down a bit, you might try posting them in the Pilot Training forum, where the instructors hang out. Instructors love to recite rules, regs and everything else. :D
Yeah, it's kind of like asking "what rules do I need to follow when I set up a business?" WAY more than can be covered in a single thread.

DRzKing, you're already making a start by hooking up with a local community college. You'll probably find a ground school class there that will help answer this sort of a broad question. An earlier suggestion to pick up a copy of Machado's Private Pilot book was a good ont. He's even got it available on audio tape or CD. And there are a lot of other good ones out there, including a number by people who post on this site.

The Pilot Training forum is a good place to come and ask specific questions if you're confused by something. Extremely general questions, such as what regulations do I need to follow, cannot get a meaningful response, beyond the aforementioned "all of them."

As was also mentioned, pick up a copy of the FAR/AIM. That's an inexpesive book (actually available free at rgl.faa.gov, but you're going to need a printed copy anyways) that lists many of the regulations that you'll be subject to. Note that it's about 2 inches thick! Now, you're not going to need to be responsible for or to know every one of them, but you'll need to be at least familiar with many of them. Note that it contains regulations for everything from fixed wing aircraft to helicopters to dirigibles. That's part of why it's so thick and complicated. During class (and by reading other books) you'll learn how to pick through and find the pertinent parts.

Okay. Thanks all. By the way, I was thinking on buying Jeppesen Private Pilot book. So I'm going to read one of those books and if I have any questions then I'll ask you guys. Thanks again.

Okay. Thanks all. By the way, I was thinking on buying Jeppesen Private Pilot book. So I'm going to read one of those books and if I have any questions then I'll ask you guys. Thanks again.

The Jeppesen book is good. I used it, along with many other resources, when I got my private pilot certificate in 2001.

Don't worry too much about the rules, the important ones will sink in and it shouldn't be too hard to follow them. Hope that came out right, you need to follow all the rules when flying they're for your safey and to keep some of the stupid people from hurting themselves. Read as much as you can, not only before your check ride but throught out the years you fly. POA is a great place to learn things you may not have learned or forgot. Just the other day after reading a post I discovered that I had made an error on a certain piece of paper work that I had no idea was wrong. So my recomendation is to read as much as you can and talk to people. Most pilots or CFI's will always be glad to answer you question. Good Luck!!

Back