Hey! Tom Downey - - - -

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
- - - - Four new ECI Titanium cylinders arriving tomorrow. What's the recommended break-in procedure?

Ask me if I'm "wired," (and poorer).

HR

Attachments

• N7872G Avatar.jpg
    N7872G Avatar.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 12
  • N7872G Greenville_2.jpg
    N7872G Greenville_2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • N7872G 032207 Off to Twitchell's2a.jpg
    N7872G 032207 Off to Twitchell's2a.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 9
  • N7872G and SCOUT 092607.jpg
    N7872G and SCOUT 092607.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
- - - - Four new ECI Titanium cylinders arriving tomorrow. What's the recommended break-in procedure?

Ask me if I'm "wired," (and poorer).

HR
Each cylinder kit will have a booklet in the box,, Read it, follow the instructions.

Basically it says, use 20-W-50 Phillips. and fly the engine as you normally would.

http://www.eci.aero/pdf/BreakInInstructions.pdf

page #7 "First flight-->
10. On take‐off, use minimum power to reach 40 MPH (IAS) before applying required take‐off power. CAUTION: Determine that there is sufficient runway remaining in order to reach take‐off airspeed.
11. Use take‐off power only as long as necessary to get to BEST CLIMB SPEED. Reduce manifold pressure to minimum required for clean in‐flight attitude. Leave propeller in flat pitch for at least 5 minutes after take‐off. For aircraft not equipped with a variable pitch propeller or manifold pressure gauge, reduce power to 75%. Use minimum rate of climb with maximum air speed consistent with terrain.
12. When desired altitude is reached and cylinder head and oil temperatures are satisfactory, aircraft should be operated at 75% power until 20‐30 minutes of flight time have elapsed. The engine should then be operated at various power settings and engine operating parameters observed until at least 45 minutes of flight time have elapsed. All power changes should be made very gradually, especially power reductions.
13. During the test flight, any time that a persistent high oil or cylinder head temperature is noted, a precautionary landing and inspection should be made to determine the cause. Maximum permissible cylinder head temperatures are published in each specific engine’s type certificate data sheet. These maximum permissible temperatures range from 450°F to 525°F, depending on the engine type. Consult your specific engine’s type certificate data sheet for maximum operating temperature.
14. On initial flight after at least 30 minutes of satisfactory flight time have been accumulated, the aircraft should be landed and the engine be reinspected. Oil consumption should be noted; and, if excessive, should be investigated before further flight.
15. Test flight and results should be entered in the engine log books before the airplane is released to service. Operators should be cautioned against long ground runs and prolonged climbs at low air speeds.
©2011 Engine Components International

Engine Break‐in Instructions Run‐in vs. Break‐in 8
16. Ground operations and continuous climb at low airspeed should be
minimized until the engine has accumulated at least 25 hours operating time.
Cylinder overheating can cause cylinder bore glazing and/or piston scuffing at
any time during engine operation but cylinder assemblies are most susceptible to these problems during the first 25‐50 hours of operation. Whenever glazing and/or scuffing become severe, the only remedy is to remove the offending cylinder(s), mechanically remove the glaze, replace the piston if necessary and install a new set of rings.

Last edited:
- - - - but will they make my F-150 run any better? Off to Twitchell's Airport to deliver.

HR

Attachments

• N7872G ECI Cylinders.JPG
    N7872G ECI Cylinders.JPG
    549.2 KB · Views: 24
- - - - but will they make my F-150 run any better? Off to Twitchell's Airport to deliver.

HR

Probably get better gas mileage since you'll be worried about how poor you are now :wink2:

. . . "be ready Tuesday." That sounds like a comment from a shoe repairman.

HR

Attachments

• N7872G Cowl-off_1.JPG
    N7872G Cowl-off_1.JPG
    610.4 KB · Views: 12
  • N7872G Cowl-off_2.JPG
    N7872G Cowl-off_2.JPG
    554.5 KB · Views: 15
Ouch.

What were the symptoms that warranted replacing all 4?
Any STC to up the HP while you are at it?
New Pistons?

There were no warnings of problems. The bird was just at Twitchell's for Annual, 11 of which they've done previously; so they KNOW that plane. Usually, "Piece of cake." The A & P called last Friday with "Good news and bad news." The good news was that the plane, in general, is in fine shape; only 136 hours on the pristine bottom end. The bad news was that three cylinders each had a crack. "Why?" "Age; those are the original 1970 cylinders, with 3500 hours(and one top job). The 4th jug was fine; however, I'll now have four identical units(my choice), and new as opposed to re-mans(or whatever the terminology).

The "Ouch" part? :eek:) ?? The former USN pilot who is using my plane to get a CFI rating -- having been a USN Instructor -- presently with ratings up to ATP and having thousands of hours as a Navy pilot, seems to envision flying my plane another 50, maybe 100 hours, shall we say, "is assisting." Things could be worse.

There was a comment from the A & P that "You'll be amazed at the found power you didn't know she had, with the new cylinders."
Horse power? No other changes, but she has had the Power Flow Tuned Exhaust(short stack, ceramic) since 2005. The cylinders include pistons, valves, but no piston pins. "Your wrist pins are perfect, anyway."
And she's full IR(as soon as I plug the Jeppesen card reader in and download the April 05 update).

HR

Last edited:
There were no warnings of problems. The bird was just at Twitchell's for Annual, 11 of which they've done previously; so they KNOW that plane. Usually, "Piece of cake." The A & P called last Friday with "Good news and bad news." The good news was that the plane, in general, is in fine shape; only 136 hours on the pristine bottom end. The bad news was that three cylinders each had a crack. "Why?" "Age; those are the original 1970 cylinders, with 3500 hours(and one top job). The 4th jug was fine; however, I'll now have four identical units(my choice), and new as opposed to re-mans(or whatever the terminology).

The "Ouch" part? :eek:) ?? The former USN pilot who is using my plane to get a CFI rating -- having been a USN Instructor -- presently with ratings up to ATP and having thousands of hours as a Navy pilot, seems to envision flying my plane another 50, maybe 100 hours, shall we say, "is assisting." Things could be worse.

HR

Teach that CFI how to lean, running rich and at high MAP will crack old cylinders.

but for the trend, they are right on time.

More than a few CFI has commented, "This is the best running/flying 172 I've ever taught in." To which, my reply: "I can count on less than two hands the number of people who have flown this bird since 2000, so she's not your basic trainer. And when there have been squawks, attention was immediate. The owner from whom I bought it had it for 17 years. Rarely did anyone else fly her except the one A & P who gave me the demo flight, he alone who had maintained the plane for 17 years.
When my first Annual was due(September 2000) I called for an appointment. When I gave the tail # the voice said, "That so-and-so's old plane? Piece of cake. She's been babied for almost 20 years." Shall we say that I have no complaints.

HR

April 13: The bird's been flown twice today; cowl off after first flight -- everything tight -- then 2nd flight. Shortly on my way to bring her back to Wiscasset KIWI, home base.
Yahoo!

HR

Ouch.

Any STC to up the HP while you are at it?

Actually, one does gain some small HP with the ECI cylinders. Because the timing can be reset to stock 28 DBTC from the reduiced 24 AD mandated if you have the weak Continental cylinders.

(Please don't show that sentence to my 4th grade english teacher!)

IF anyone needs to have any "CORES" to turn in during cylinder replacements, I have three available at $55.00 each(plus freight). ALSO, I have one good cylinder which didn't need replacement but I replaced all four cylinders. $300.00 for the good unit. The new jugs were $878.00 each. The engine is Lycoming 0-320 E2d.

HR

Actually, one does gain some small HP with the ECI cylinders. Because the timing can be reset to stock 28 DBTC from the reduiced 24 AD mandated if you have the weak Continental cylinders.

(Please don't show that sentence to my 4th grade english teacher!)

that's only one the 0-200 his engine is a Lycoming 0-320 AD to retard the timing did not apply.

April 13: The bird's been flown twice today; cowl off after first flight -- everything tight -- then 2nd flight. Shortly on my way to bring her back to Wiscasset KIWI, home base.
Yahoo!

HR

If you can, take he long way home. Get high for cooling and start the breakin with a nice long flight. Have fun!

Didn't have time for that; drove the CFI to Twitchell's to fly her back to Wiscasset, and he was on a time budget. But it'll get interesting from here-on. 0.4 hours on the new cylinders when photos were taken.

HR

Attachments

• N7872G Top-job_1.JPG
    N7872G Top-job_1.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 6
  • N7872G Top-job_2.JPG
    N7872G Top-job_2.JPG
    540.3 KB · Views: 6
  • N7872G Top-job_3.JPG
    N7872G Top-job_3.JPG
    479.8 KB · Views: 6
  • N7872G Top-job_4.JPG