Hey Old Guys! How do you manage glasses in the cockpit

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
As I reached 40 years of age I began to notice shrinkage of my arms. My last FAA physical I was still able to pass the near vision test and am not required to wear glasses. Indeed I really only need them when there is not a lot of light like in restaurants and the cockpit at night to read approach plates.

I learned that lesson about approach plates last year when I had an approach into my home airport one night, in IMC with ceilings 200 feet about the MDA. Thankfully I was familiar with the approach and had someone able to read me the text to figure it out. After that a dedicated pair of reading glasses were put in the plane for just such an emergancy.

Last night I was out flying to get reaquainted with the night. I went to read an approach plate and realized I could not see it at all. I had two choices, turn on the lights or get the reading glasses, I opted for the latter.

I put them on and I could read the plate with no problem at all, but even with them on the edge of my nose they really destroyed my far vision and I could not see the guages. I spent the whole approached putting them on and taking them off.

Now that I see to be meeting the minimum requirments for the old eyes club how do you old guys do it?

Is there a trick I should know to make handling the glasses easier in the cockpit?

I bought really thin reading glasses (wally world, walgreen, cvs...), and put them on a granny cord, and hang them around my neck when flying. Always at hand. Yes, I look old.

With the thin ones, the "down the nose" position works, you can look down thru the glasses to read plates, etc., and can look over them for distant vision.

The alternative would be real bi-focals, and probably tri-focals later on in life. (Optimized, lower for reading plates, middle for the panel, upper for distance.)

I wear progressive lenses. I tried bifocals but they just didn't work for me.

Get fitted for progressive lenses, but go for the VariLux brand. They are expensive but you will never notice the difference between near and far vision.

I don't wear glasses for far vision. I am 20/20 in the left eye and 20/25 in the right. It is my near vision that is starting to go. That is a product of age and the lens becoming less flexible. So i too have bought the Walgreens specials, +1.00. But they are too most of the time. Bill's idea of the cord is what I was thinking you guys may use.

I have the same issues you described- excellent distance vision, but deteriorating near vision (maybe we sit in front of computers too much?).

I can still pass the eye exam for my flt physical, but it is now stated "Must POSSESS glasses for near vision". It doesn't state I have to wear them at all times.

Like Bill J said above, I bought a pair of 'cheaters' (1.25) at Wally World, and in low light environments, I let them rest way down on my nose so I can read the plates/charts and still see the instruments without having to move my head.

The real secret is how to get them to stay, without slipping off the end of your nose! I use very small rubber bands, wrapped on the nose piece... it seems to do the job!

With the thin ones, the "down the nose" position works, you can look down thru the glasses to read plates, etc., and can look over them for distant vision.

+1 I just put one of the temple pieces inside my shirt collar or button holes until the need arises.

I bought really thin reading glasses (wally world, walgreen, cvs...), and put them on a granny cord, and hang them around my neck when flying. Always at hand. Yes, I look old.

More specifically, I bought several types of the really thin ones that have round or rectangular hard storage cases. Great for throwing into a flight bag and not having to worry about them getting mangled.

Also, these types usually have straight (or nearly straight), very thin temple pieces, and these slide in and out under your headset earcups very nicely. Thick temple pieces often require removing the headset to put them on...not good.

I have really lousy distance vision. I may go do the LASIK crap when my prebiopia gets too bad. If I have to have reading glasses, might as well have good distance vision.

Same problem here. I need them for working onsite at the railroads too, but I also have to wear safety glasses.

I tried these, http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/optx-20-20.html and they work great. I use them on my tinted safety glasses as well and in the plane. I haven't had any problems with clarity, and I have put the same lense on multiple sets of safety glasses.

Get fitted for progressive lenses, but go for the VariLux brand. They are expensive but you will never notice the difference between near and far vision.

X2. I am near sighted and can see within a few feet fine without glasses, but I need them for distance. My glasses are so small, I end up looking under them at charts and the panel and can see fine, but it sounds like progressive lenses are in your future.

Forgot to add, I also have bifocal contact lenses, which take a little getting used to but work just fine. The first few times landing, I had to get used to the depth perception but sorted it out pretty quickly. It allows me to wear regular sunglasses.

Last edited:
Since I had cataract surgery long vision is fine but no usable near vision. I can see the instruments and out the window fine but cannot read an approach plate or book without glasses.

I use progressives full time. Much easier than putting them on and taking them off. However in the house I have reading glasses at strategic locations, computer glasses in the office and the pair I want is always on a different floor.:rolleyes:

I don't wear glasses for far vision. I am 20/20 in the left eye and 20/25 in the right. It is my near vision that is starting to go. That is a product of age and the lens becoming less flexible. So i too have bought the Walgreens specials, +1.00. But they are too most of the time. Bill's idea of the cord is what I was thinking you guys may use.

Welcome to old age. :raspberry:

My far vision is still fine, but I can use a weak prescription. I need the glasses to read and see the Kohlsman window on the panel and for the PC screen.

Get your eyes tested at the panel distance. Measure the distance from panel to eyeball. In my case 27" does it, and that matches the computer screen distance, too.

I can get by with using the same 27" as the reading distance, but I have computer glasses that have the 27" on top and the closer script on the bottom. The 27" works fine for charts on my lap.

Soooooo....lineless progressive bifocals on a neck band.

I have prescription lenses in my Shaden flip-up sunglassess and use a CAT cord on them. It took a while to find a cord that worked and held up. Try a sporting goods store like Sportmart or REI. I've abused mine hanging all the time and the titanium frames have held up great for ummmm....5 years.

Have a spare pair for reading in your emergency bag. You might mix in the half-glasses you look over.

Last edited:
Welcome to old age. :raspberry:
I am not old!!! just short armed!:)

My far vision is still fine, but I can use a weak prescription. I need the glasses to read and see the Kohlsman window on the panel and for the PC screen.

Get your eyes tested at the panel distance. Measure the distance from panel to eyeball. In my case 27" does it, and that matches the computer screen distance, too.

I can get by with using the same 27" as the reading distance, but I have computer glasses that have the 27" on top and the closer script on the bottom. The 27" works fine for charts on my lap.
i can see the panel and the kolhsman window just fine without glasses, even at night. It is jsut that small print on the approach plates that is getting me.
Have a spare pair for reading in your emergency bag. You might mix in the half-glasses you you look over.
They are already in the plane sitting right in the pocket on the left hand side of the cockpit, ready to be grabbed. They never leave the plane.

I am not old!!! just short armed!:)

i can see the panel and the kolhsman window just fine without glasses, even at night. It is jsut that small print on the approach plates that is getting me. .

Ahhh,, grasshopper, give it 3-4 more years. :fingerwag:

I wear progressive lenses. When my prescription changed, I bought new ones but for sunglasses I thought conventional lined bifocals would be better, given the better peripheral vision that one has with conventional versus progressive lenses.

Big mistake!

It turned out that the combo of relatively dark shades and the line made the radio stack hard to read through both halves of the lens. To do that successfully I would have needed trifocals. Ugh.

So I bought another $$pair of progressive shades. I love them. These are not so dark that I can't use them at night in a pinch should my regular glasses get broken/misplaced.

So my advice to anyone contemplating Rx dark glasses:

1) Don't get them too dark. If you feel the need for super dark lenses add clip-ons.
2) Make sure you have good vision in reduced light at the intermediate (radio stack) distance.

I am probably a good candidate for Lasik but I for one think the risks of that kind of surgery are just too high. I will "suffer" gladly the inconvenience of wearing glasses.

-Skip

Last edited:
X2. I am near sighted and can see within a few feet fine without glasses, but I need them for distance. My glasses are so small, I end up looking under them at charts and the panel and can see fine, but it sounds like progressive lenses are in your future.

Forgot to add, I also have bifocal contact lenses, which take a little getting used to but work just fine. The first few times landing, I had to get used to the depth perception but sorted it out pretty quickly. It allows me to wear regular sunglasses.

X3 on the glasses. I finally gave up on the contacts. More trouble than they were worth.

I now have bifocal contacts, so it's not an issue -- I can see everything just fine. However, before they had contacts which could do both bifocal and astigmatic correction, I used straight distance contacts and "granny glasses" for charts and such. I usually left them off in cruise, but put them on for night ground ops and approaches. I also found sunglasses with reading inserts for day use.

BTW, several optometrists have recommended to me against progressive lenses -- too much head-bobbing to find the "sweet spot" for any given distance. Some folks adapt to this, but other folks don't. That's a nice chunk of change to invest and then find it doesn't work for you, but some big chain eyeglass makers have a "satisfaction guaranteed" policy, and will swap them for straight-line bifocals if it doesn't work. Ask first!

Last edited:
I now have bifocal contacts, so it's not an issue -- I can see everything just fine. However, before they had contacts which could do both bifocal and astigmatic correction, I used straight distance contacts and "granny glasses" for charts and such. I usually left them off in cruise, but put them on for night ground ops and approaches. I also found sunglasses with reading inserts for day use.

BTW, several optometrists have recommended to me against progressive lenses -- too much head-bobbing to find the "sweet spot" for any given distance. Some folks adapt to this, but other folks don't. That's a nice chunk of change to invest and then find it doesn't work for you, but some big chain eyeglass makers have a "satisfaction guaranteed" policy, and will swap them for straight-line bifocals if it doesn't work. Ask first!
My optometrist was skeptical that bifocal contacts w/astigmatism would work for me. She suggested straight contacts with reading glasses, but if you have to mess with glasses anyway, what's the point of wearing contacts? How are yours working for you? I may give them a try.

My progressives have been fine from day one. No real problem adjusting to them at all. The only time I find myself actively searching for the sweet spot is when I get my eyes checked -- as in FAA physical -- and I'm trying to get to 20-15 or 20-10.

I had a prescription written that worked best for flying with glasses on and the near vision focused on the panel. The bifocal section is small and narrow for looking down at charts.

I have standard line bifocals. I tried the no-line and progressive and they were not suitable to me. Looking through the bottom lens everything on the panel and charts is easy. Looking up, everything above the glare shield is prefect. I don't have to tilt my head around to find the right correction in the lens. You may have to get line bifocals set right for your glare shield but once you do it's very easy.

You probably won't start out with Bifocals, but you can if you like. the upper correction for distance will be slight, but it's noticeable. when you drive at night now, what do the highway signs look like? I bet they're a bit blurry.

She suggested straight contacts with reading glasses, but if you have to mess with glasses anyway, what's the point of wearing contacts?
I started wearing contacts after wearing glasses for 38 years. Of those, I'd worn bifocals for 31 due to focus flexibility issues. Now, I switch back and forth between them. I wear the thin little reading glasses whenever I've got the contacts on, but it still gives me better peripheral vision and ability to deal with bright sun than my regular glasses do.

I have really lousy distance vision. I may go do the LASIK crap when my prebiopia gets too bad. If I have to have reading glasses, might as well have good distance vision.
I have really lousy distant vision and have worn glasses or contacts all my life. Ironically I still don't need near vision correction, although it's getting close. I am the envy of my eye doctor who is the same age (51) and needed reading glasses years ago. She told me that if I start having a problem to get a pair of drugstore glasses and wear them in addition to my contacts when I need them. She said they also make bifocal contacts.

Of the guys I know who need near vision correction most either wear those skinny glasses or have bifocals or trifocals.

Same problem. i tried the progressive, didn't like them. I just have a pair of reading glasses on a cord around my neck, keep them on the tip of my nose while flying, but I take them off when landing (i bounced a couple of times with them on, screwed up my perception)

My optometrist was skeptical that bifocal contacts w/astigmatism would work for me. She suggested straight contacts with reading glasses, but if you have to mess with glasses anyway, what's the point of wearing contacts? How are yours working for you? I may give them a try.
They're not perfect, but they work pretty well.
My progressives have been fine from day one. No real problem adjusting to them at all. The only time I find myself actively searching for the sweet spot is when I get my eyes checked -- as in FAA physical -- and I'm trying to get to 20-15 or 20-10.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

What are the actual FAA vision requirements for private pilot rating? Is there an uncorrected minimum also? (somewhere I thought there was...)

Round-top bifocals with clip-on sunglasses. It helps that my optometrist is also a pilot - he makes sure my near/far prescription works for me at the right distances, both to see the panel and also to pass at the AME.

My vision is kind of goofy - at distances less than 18" I'm 20/20 uncorrected although the reading lenses do make a difference in sharpness, then at panel distances I really start needing the help. I've had problems, though, with getting my eyes to adjust to the shadows in the cockpit on a bright day. My glasses have small enough lenses that I can see under them, and the sunglass portion, for reading. If I had larger lenses, I'd have to make sure I had the gradient sunglasses (darker on top, lighter on the bottom) or I'd really have problems reading charts.

That's become second nature for me - I don't even notice that I am moving my head to find the "sweet spot".

I have used lined trifocals for many years because:

1. The straight lines are straight rather than curved in the progs
2. They have a specific range that is perfect for the instrument panel
3. I got tired of my head bobbing up and down like the little dog on the hatrack.

A few friends who have tried the progressives have reported even more problems at night. I have concluded there's no way to know for sure until you try them.

A dentist friend my age got the crystalens transplants a couple weeks ago. He loves them, and now is trying to convince everyone that the reason he dressed like that for so long is because he couldn't see the colors in the stuff he wore.

I have standard line bifocals. I tried the no-line and progressive and they were not suitable to me. Looking through the bottom lens everything on the panel and charts is easy. Looking up, everything above the glare shield is prefect. I don't have to tilt my head around to find the right correction in the lens. You may have to get line bifocals set right for your glare shield but once you do it's very easy.

You probably won't start out with Bifocals, but you can if you like. the upper correction for distance will be slight, but it's noticeable. when you drive at night now, what do the highway signs look like? I bet they're a bit blurry.

If you go for progressives, do your homework. I wear VariLux which is the top of the line in progressive lenses. I tried a similar brand that was purported to be "just as good" and the difference is astounding.

My vision is clear and no hunting "the sweet spot". And over 80% of my flying is at night and no problems there either. I did get the "non glare" coating which is also great for night.

I use Walgreen bifocals. They are clear on top and 1.5 mag on the bottom. I put them on in the morning and wear them all day.

Also, if you need lenses for your sunglasses try these "slick on" lenses. Cut them to the shape of your sunglasses soak them in warm water and they stick on. I've been using them for 10 years.

http://www.stickonlenses.net/servlet/StoreFront?gclid=CJienbzfvpYCFSTaDAodKQdwLA

When you get your medical, if you cannot pass the eye test without corrective lenses they will require it on your medical certificate. No big deal..........neither is getting old.

Last edited:
I tried progressives after one optometrist swore by them. There were the worst glasses I ever had on. Half the lens was worthless and made flying or driving very uncomfortable. Later, I found a better shop who listened to what I was attempting and came up with the current prescription.

Me, too. And have for 15 or 16 years. They work great.

How do I manage glasses in the cockpit? The same way I do everywhere else - they're on my nose. And I do keep a spare pair in my flight bag.

VariLux here, too - but a warning - smaller lenses reduce the area of each "focus zone" for lack of a more correct term. My wife keeps wanting me to get smaller lenses when I get new glasses, but the doc says that my current ones are about as small as he would recommend to get good acuity on each of the focus areas.

Now, as to how I manage them in the cockpit? About the same way I manage everything else - anybody seen my keys? :)

kidding - I wear 'em for everything so they're always on my face ...

If you're wearing any lens of any power to read the sectionals now....within a year or two that power will double.

I've worn eyeglasses my whole life (since age 7) to correct for having no long distance vision. In 2004 the Army politely provided PRK corrective surgery. At that time my ophthalmologist informed me that within two years I would be wearing reading glasses. At age 46 I discovered I could no longer read a sectional without them. Now, two years later, I find I can pass my physical without a comment, but I cannot actually fly without some sort of correction. My correction of choice is sunglasses (I fly in Florida) with either an insert which sticks inside my "cool guys", a pair of sunglasses from Wal Mart (look in the hunting and fishing section) which have a # 2 power insert, or a pair of prescription bi-focals tinted as sunglasses (one of the benefits of retireing from the armed forces is you get 1 pair of glasses a year -- no charge).

I never fly without at least one of these corrections. I can actually still read the sectional in good light -- given enough time, but I would prefer not to take my attention off other things while I'm doing that.

For pilots who are now facing the issue my advice would be to suck it up, quite whining, get the right prescription, and get on with it.

If you're wearing any lens of any power to read the sectionals now....within a year or two that power will double.

Not in my case. I think I only barely went up a notch in the last 10 years, 1.25 to 1.50 in one eye...but I am really blind to reading unaided, especially in dim light.

Back