Hey - I live in the ghetto! (pictures)

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
To experience the same thing I am, listen to this, while reading this thread (I'm listening to it as I type it, and not by choice).

About a month and a half ago, I moved. I was on short notice (mostly out of my own laziness, unfortunately), and wound up with 2 choices that would take dogs and weren't insanely expensive.

I picked the wrong one, apparantly. I hear gunshots every night, which is not unheard of in Albuquerque anyways, but man are they close now. I, for the first time in my life, keep my S&W SP10 on the table at all times, loaded and ready to go. But I hadn't experienced any real problems...in fact, the neighbors are actually quite nice.

Just last week, one of the neighbors came by at 3:00am, and said that her husband was in jail and needed to borrow a couple of dollars to get taxifare to the Detention Center to pick him up! She was really nice, and even offered to sleep with me if I could muster up 5 dollars. I didn't have the 5 dollars or a desire to get some weird disease so I passed, but I really felt for her, such a nice, generous lady!

Then a few days ago, a drunk dude walked into my apartment while I was in the living room. I asked him why he was in my apartment (gun was not in the living room at that time for some reason), and he told me to get out of his apartment or he'd beat me up. I kindly explained the address and apartment number and he confessed he had the wrong apartment. We laughed and laughed.

Today, I took my dog for a walk (I've been doing it, but mostly in a daze, haven't really been paying attention), and I got some nice pictures of the scenery. First off - as I walked down the street, I noticed a dead end sign, with bullet holes all over it. I decided to see what was at the end of the dead end, and found something neat!

I'm sure most of y'all have heard of the LA River, right? Well, apparantly, we have one in Albuquerque too (I knew it existed way north by the Balloon Fiesta Park, but never knew it came all the way into the barrio!). The first two pictures are the "Albuquerque River" as I've chosen to call it.
abqriver1.jpg

abqriver2.jpg

Next up is the wall of graphiti, located on the back of a mechanic with signage in Spanish only. I have no idea what it said, but I saw "Machina" a bunch of times. :rolleyes:
graphittiwall.jpg

I guess the fine folks of the ghetto have decided to take ownership of the utilities. The next picture is of the tag on the utility box, which clearly shows ownership. I wonder if they are also paying for the maintenance and upkeep?
gangstautilities.jpg

Right down the street from my apartment is a mobile home park. As I walked by, I smelled meth cooking pretty strongly. I decided to walk around until I found out which house smelled of the cooking the strogest. Hey - its this jewel of cleanliness right here! Hi Mr. Methhouse!
methhouse.jpg

Finally, my apartment. Not pretty by any means, but certainly one of the best taken care of yards/exteriors in the entire neighborhood. I like it OK, I guess.
myhouse.jpg

That's my tour of the barrio! You can now say you have seen a Mexican Barrio. Oh - and everynight, all of the 1000s of Mexicans that live in the surrounding 6 houses, gather in the streets, with their kids and friends, and they deal drugs, have bbqs and listen to music that sounds just like this (same from above): http://www.ridetheskies.com/barrio/mariachi.mp3

..haha..

Music goes good with the story.

Makes where I live seem very nice.

SkyHog said:
Right down the street from my apartment is a mobile home park. As I walked by, I smelled meth cooking pretty strongly. I decided to walk around until I found out which house smelled of the cooking the strogest. Hey - its this jewel of cleanliness right here! Hi Mr. Methhouse!

I know what meth is, I could probably make it based on my knowledge of chem and the 3 semesters of chemI had in college. But I ,for the life of me, have no idea what it would smell like. So Nick how do you know? Been doing a little cooking have we???:D:D:D

BTW Nick where in ABQ do you live now?

I lived in the SE near the airbase. Not the most upscale area but it was ok and cheap. It sounds as if you moved to the south valley??

Looks a lot like my first place in Santa Ana Ca nick!
I carried a gun too. LOL

Mark B

Nick, I saw an NAU sign at the community college in Havasu. I think they have a (small) campus here. We have 2 vacancies right now in my building. transfer now before you shoot someone!

Hmmm, wandering around taking pictures of houses by following the smell of meth cooking? You got a death wish or something?

wsuffa said:
And he posted it here, too....

Doubt the cookers are pilots and going to read about it here. LOL

smigaldi said:
I know what meth is, I could probably make it based on my knowledge of chem and the 3 semesters of chemI had in college. But I ,for the life of me, have no idea what it would smell like.

Think ammonia, urine and sometimes rotten eggs.. It's one of those smells that once you've smelled it, you'll never mistake it for anything else. :vomit:

Hey Nick, load yourself and Piper into the Cherokee and relo to Nashville. Stay with us for a month or so, you should have a job within 48 hours, to save a few bucks.
The invitation is open.

That is very genours Kevin!

Making the Fraternaty proud Kevin!

kevin47881 said:
Hey Nick, load yourself and Piper into the Cherokee and relo to Nashville. Stay with us for a month or so, you should have a job within 48 hours, to save a few bucks.
The invitation is open.

Just don't pick your apartment out over the internet without looking at it, like my daughter did. They have the same barrio there, too. I have the same types of pictures from that place, on Murfreesboro Rd, from the one month she stayed there. At least until we could get her and her daughter to another apartment. Same types of nightly parties, too. We even had a picture of the local roaming stray "wolf". Same kind of music, too. Not the kind of place for a single mom to be.
Image50.jpg

Image04.jpg

Image05.jpg

Image40.jpg

Ok Nick you've got three offers now , Philly, Tennessee and Lake havasu. The Havasu deal has a job too. NOW PACK UP AND MOVE!

BTW I kinda like the music.

AdamZ said:
Ok Nick you've got three offers now , Philly, Tennessee and Lake havasu. The Havasu deal has a job too. NOW PACK UP AND MOVE!

dont forget minneapolis, and now central Iowa too!

feel sorry for that dog in Bryon's post...looks like the poor guy has had a rough life.

Thanks guys. Awesome to see the offers! I'm pretty dang sure it'll be Michael's offer I jump on. Closer to the parents :D

BTW - for those who have lived here, its not the South Valley, I'm not dumb enough for that, this is war-zone (not the one by the Base, but the one between Carlisle and I-25).

smigaldi said:
I know what meth is, I could probably make it based on my knowledge of chem and the 3 semesters of chemI had in college. But I ,for the life of me, have no idea what it would smell like. So Nick how do you know? Been doing a little cooking have we???:D:D:D

**Looks at ground in shame.

Actually, I've lived even in nice neighborhoods in which the houses have exploded, or cops have busted them. You learn what they smell like, and like Ausere said, you don't forget the smell.

I learned the hard way the ingredients for meth are. I went to the hardware store and bought 2 gal of Muriatic Acid to etch my fish pond I just built so I could paint it (it was made of concrete). About 2hrs after I got home 2 police cruisers pulled up in my driveway (I lived behind the police shooting range). I hade a polite discussion with the 4 officers about what I needed so much Muriatic Acid for and I explained I was using it to etch the concrete in my pond to prep it for paint (if you don't etch it the chemicals in the concrete will kill the fish. Koi in this case). 2 weeks later they busted the guy across the street for dealing meth. :eek:

SkyHog said:
About a month and a half ago, I moved. I was on short notice (mostly out of my own laziness, unfortunately), and wound up with 2 choices that would take dogs and weren't insanely expensive.

I picked the wrong one, apparantly.

Dude, believe it or not, I know pretty much where you live by that picture of the Arroyo. You have surmized correctly. You aren't in direct danger, but you have a good chance of catching a stray. The problem with the crack heads and the tweekers is they can't aim for s**t. Gotta love the smell of meth cooking eh? Wen I lived in Ocean Beach in Sandiego in the late 80's, there was a 9 block area we called the war zone (ever met a non violent tweeker without paranoid delusions... "You a cop?!?") where at the time 80% of all the crank in the country was being cooked and hauled out on Harleys. Lights were all ablaze at 4:00am and every blind was kinked...

Wow !

I'll think twice from now on before I whine about my neighborhood...

That really shatters the stereotypes I still had about America...

(I do keep a loaded HP35 but for different reasons...)

By the way...Adam - if I ever get kicked out from my job - I might take your offer :)

Alon - I seriously think that the day to day concerns you have make you much more of a man than me. You are much stronger than I am, and I respect the hell outta you for it.

Armageddon Aviator said:
Wow !

I'll think twice from now on before I whine about my neighborhood...

That really shatters the stereotypes I still had about America...

(I do keep a loaded HP35 but for different reasons...)

By the way...Adam - if I ever get kicked out from my job - I might take your offer :)

Yeah, crack and tweek have pretty much ruined America. Now meth is cooked in every city and little town. Henrietta TX used to bust labs on a regular basis. The war on drugs was lost, but the people who really control gov't & law enforcement agencies make so much unappropriated money off the seizure end of things, they won't let it go to a controlled, taxed and legal business, not to mention the politicians who make their cut through allowing things to happen. Anyone doesn't believe that, take a good look at the history of the airport at Mena Arkansas. I'd estimate 2/3rds of all the cocaine coming into the US for over a decade came through that airport. I'd bring planes into the paint shop there and see them unloading right on the ramp in broad daylight. Had 2 offers for a free plane and $40,000 a trip there, A Lear 25 and a DC-3. And all they could find on Clinton in 8 years and millions of dollars of the best investigation money could buy was a BJ. And y'all argue that dems ar better than repubs & vice versa. I've been trying to tell you all for years that it's just a smoke screen to keep you from seeing the truth. They are the same and none of them have your or the nations best interests at heart. The problem with drugs is not drug addicts. The problem with drugs is the violence inherent in the illegal distribution system. The taxes generated by a legal system of distribution could go a long way towards the drug addiction/prevention problem. The way it is now, the money only goes to arm violent offenders and law enforcement agencies along with funding polititical campaigns. One of the few nice things down here is that the market is so small and distant from S.America, the cocain doesn't get here in large enough quantities for crack(tha coke is the constituent of crack that makes it soooo addictive, while the meth that the step on it with is what makes people nuts because they don't ever fully sleep) and meth isn't being cooked in very large quantities...yet, give it a decade though:( .

Henning said:
Y Anyone doesn't believe that, take a good look at the history of the airport at Mena Arkansas. .
Here Henning you might be in need of this :D:D:D
http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Here is some background on Mena conspiracy theory
On august 23, 1987, in a rural community south of Little Rock in America, two teenage boys named Kevin Ives and Don Henry were murdered and dismembered after witnessing a CIA cocaine drop that was part of a CIA drug trafficking operation based at a small airport in Mena, Arkansas.

http://www.conspiracyplanet.com/channel.cfm?channelid=35&contentid=3528&page=2

Last edited:
Ghetto? That's a ghetto? Go to North Philly around Temple U. and/or West Philly near Penn. Now they are ghettos. If your car breaks down in those hoods, you better have a Browning M2 and LOTS of 50 cal.

mikea said:
You mean: Move!... NOW!

Yea. That.

I'm in a safer area than Nick is and I'm in a scramble to move asap or sooner for very similar reasons. If I'm in emergency evacuation break the lease without warning mode, which I am, he should be should be outta there.

Anthony said:
Ghetto? That's a ghetto? Go to North Philly around Temple U. and/or West Philly near Penn. Now they are ghettos. If your car breaks down in those hoods, you better have a Browning M2 and LOTS of 50 cal.

Or, accidently get off the subway in NYC on or above 125th street at night.

Better yet, get out of the World theater at 2am after seeing the Dead Kennedys and walk around alphabet city. The cabs don't even go in there at night. I was with two other fairly big guys (6'2"/ 220lbs), and we were scared for our life. Dumb dumb dumb, but we lived. Young and stupid.

Bill Jennings said:
Better yet, get out of the World theater at 2am after seeing the Dead Kennedys and walk around alphabet city.

Hmmm, googling alphabet city shows it is now being renovated and is becoming a new trendy place to live in NYC. Go figure. In the late 80's/early 90's it was a very scary place.

Here is a pic of what living in a real ghetto can be like. The stuff on her head with theh hand marks in it is dried dung;. That is used for household heating. You really get a feel for the poor when you visit India. I did not take any pictures of the lepers in the streets. That was just a little too freaky for me.

Last edited:
smigaldi said:
I did not take any pictures of the lepers in teh streets. That was just a little too freaky for me.

Yeah, but the lepers don't have semi-automatic weapons and aren't looking to kill you for fun. :mad:

Bill Jennings said:
Hmmm, googling alphabet city shows it is now being renovated and is becoming a new trendy place to live in NYC. Go figure. In the late 80's/early 90's it was a very scary place.
Alphabet city is indeed awesome, and I live a block away from the official start.
Come to NYC and I'll show you how nice it is now.

smigaldi said:
Here is a pic of what living in a real ghetto can be like. The stuff on her head witht eh hand marks in it is dried dung;. That is used for household heating. You really get a feel for the poor when you visit India. I did not take any pictures of the lepers in teh streets. That was just a little too freaky for me.

Adds a nice visual to the term s**t head :D

smigaldi said:
Here Henning you might be in need of this :D:D:D
http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Here is some background on Mena conspiracy theory

http://www.conspiracyplanet.com/channel.cfm?channelid=35&contentid=3528&page=2

Foil beenies are a sham, they actually intensify the mind control waves if you put them on shiny side down. You need a gold/platinum matix to do any good and it needs to be an inch thick.

As to Mena, believe as you please, I know what I saw and was offered. That type of operation doesn't go on without being allowed. I've had other instances in the business that brought the truth to light.

I see where you guys are coming from, in that there are worse places in the United States to live, (actually, according to an article I read in the Albuquerque Journal a few weeks ago, there are 3 more dangerous places, Albuquerque is #4, worse than New York City, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and even Compton), but....

I have witness unknown amounts of crime in the last year. I have had friends shot, stabbed, and actually beaten. So I get a bit nervous when I live in a ghetto area of a city that provides that kind of crime.

LOL - just got interrupted in my shower by a different neighbor, ringing my doorbell furiously. I grabbed my gun and answered to door to see a different woman, same story about her husband in jail, needing a few dollars. Was willing to have sex to get the money.

Awesome.

Back