"Hey hit me up when you got some more time in that thing!"

I have been blessed to have been the guy to give many people their first ride. I enjoy that a lot. As an instructor I have had all walks of life see the inside of a GA plane for the first time, and almost all of their reactions were different. I think thats why I love to teach, peoples reactions. In over 40 years of doing this however my best story comes from a fly in that I was giving rides at. We were in a Seneca II and all the seats were filled with women. From Grama clear in the back to the teenager who called "shotgun" on the walk to the plane. As I was taxing out the elder lady in the back ask

"how long have you been flying?"

Great question I said. Well I just started yesterday, but my instructor said I was doing so good that he wanted me to help with rides today!! This will be my first hop of the day!!

"Now thats not funny and I want to go back right now!!"

Sorry !! I have been flying over 30 years and teaching others to do it for 25 years!! Is that better?

"Well , I suppose !" ( A little attitude thrown in for good measure. )

Good then thats the story we'll use.

Took them for a little extra long ride, and was thanked by the little lady for a job well done. Made my day!!

I have given rides to friends, neighbors, neices, grandkids, assorted other relatives and a dozen or so Young Eagles. Today I finally got my wife to make a 40 minute lunch run in the RV-12 with me. She'd ridden with me in a 172 before, but it was still a big deal for her. And hey, we didn't die! She did note, however, that every time she rides with me we seem to land on grass. Her last flight with me was to Gaston's.

I offer rides, but I'm not going to beg. You want to ride, or you don't.

Looks like you need add Arkansas to your map if you've landed at Gaston's :)

I like to break the ice once they get buckled in. I say something like, "What do all these buttons and switches do?" Or, "You pull back on the stick to make it go up, right?" ;)

Or refer to the checklist as "the instruction sheet" ;)

I've used the "instructions" thing a few times. In my EXP all my documentation is on an iPad to save weight, but for the certified planes there are 3-ring binders in the seat pockets.

So I'll ask the back seater:
Me: Can you hand me those instructions there?
Them: (scrambling) here ya go, everything okay?
Me: Oh, this is how to take off, I need the how to land one, it's in the other seat.
Them: (scrambling) This one? everything okay?
Me: We'll know soon.

The other fun one is: "Anyone know how to land one of these? Nevermind, I'll just wing it" <- you see what I did there?

I offer rides, but I'm not going to beg. You want to ride, or you don't.

:yeahthat:

I have almost 200 hours and I've taken only about 10 people (mostly family) up with me. My work friends say they will go but come up with a different excuse (it gets dark too early now, it's too hot, it's too cold, etc).

I've had numerous people tell me that they would go but when I got licensed and brought it up, they all chickened out. A few of my work friends won't go because their wife won't let them. My reply: "Grow up a sack".

Frankly, I ask somebody, and if they can't go for whatever reason that day, I will ask again at some point, but then that's it. I'm paying for the damn flight and I need to beg people? LOL

The other fun one is: "Anyone know how to land one of these? Nevermind, I'll just wing it" <- you see what I did there?

If you get two pilots in the front seats and non-pilots in back, this is fun:
Left Seat (after takeoff): "Ok, I'm finished now - you take over."
Right Seat: "What do you mean?"
Left Seat: "I'm a takeoff pilot, I haven't learned landings yet."
Right Seat: "I'm only a takeoff pilot too!"

Back