Hesistant

rchamble

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
rschamblee
As the subject thread states, I am hesitant to start the training for my PPL. I have always been interested in flight and love to learn about stuff. I love everything about flying (I think).. But I have a couple of nagging concerns that keep me from taking the leap.. My concerns are:

1) Will I really enjoy flying once I start doing it, will I continue to enjoy it
2) I don't want to spend the money ($5-10k) and then a yr from now not fly
3) I am the sole provider (my wife stays home with our kids) so I feel I am being selfish by taking the risk of harming/killing myself and leaving them
4) Not having flown a whole lot I do not want to end up being to scared to fly and every time I go up be scared to death.Also Id like to add that I have gone flying in several small planes many times and I am never really scared other than that tiny thought in the back of your mind that hey, I could crash and die right now.. I know you can crash and die in a car but I don't think about it, does flying eventually get to that point as well??

I love to learn and airplanes in particular fascinate me as I have already read Machados private pilots hand book. Nothing gets me more excited then watching a fighter jet do a fly by. I also enjoy the radio chatter and the communications. I am in the anesthesia field so my job has many similarities to being a pilot. I think I really really want to but I'm just scared to take that plunge of starting, has anyone else been were I am?? What is everyone else's thoughts and opinions?
This back and forth of me wanting to fly has been going on for about 10 yrs :)

Some thoughts to your questions:

1. Don't know. Only time will tell. You'll have good days and bad days.
2. That is an issue. I was out of flying for 31 years and got back into it.
3. Get life insurance. You should have some anyway.
4. Yes.

First thing you should do is find a CFI and give it a try for an hour. Most likely you will know the answer after that for sure.

As far as the financial concerns you have. I can relate to that. Get a good life insurance policy (not because you will need it, but because it will keep that concern at ease for you and your family).

With regard to being scared and wanting to know if it ever gets to be like driving a car. My answer is, yes it can "sometimes". For me I have 250 hours. If I fly a few times per week, I get so comfortable it really is like hopping in the wifes minivan for a drive to the market. However, when I only fly once every other week, my mind starts to worry a little. Get that nervous feeling in my belly. Wonder if I still have what it takes. Best part is when you push yourself to get back in the airplane in times like that, it feels rewarding.

As the subject thread states, I am hesitant to start the training for my PPL. I have always been interested in flight and love to learn about stuff. I love everything about flying (I think).. But I have a couple of nagging concerns that keep me from taking the leap.. My concerns are:

1) Will I really enjoy flying once I start doing it, will I continue to enjoy it
3) I am the sole provider (my wife stays home with our kids) so I feel I am being selfish by taking the risk of harming/killing myself and leaving them
4) Not having flown a whole lot I do not want to end up being to scared to fly and every time I go up be scared to death.Also Id like to add that I have gone flying in several small planes many times and I am never really scared other than that tiny thought in the back of your mind that hey, I could crash and die right now.. I know you can crash and die in a car but I don't think about it, does flying eventually get to that point as well??

I love to learn and airplanes in particular fascinate me as I have already read Machados private pilots hand book. Nothing gets me more excited then watching a fighter jet do a fly by. I also enjoy the radio chatter and the communications. I am in the anesthesia field so my job has many similarities to being a pilot. I think I really really want to but I'm just scared to take that plunge of starting, has anyone else been were I am?? What is everyone else's thoughts and opinions?

Hi there. Here are my answers.

1) You won't know unless you try it
2) If this is a question about cost, then figure the math and see if you can afford to fly reasonably often after you get your ticket. If this is a question about whether you'll enjoy flying, see #1.
3) Life is about balance, and you'll have to determine your own risk level. Keep in mind that the vast majority of the stuff that kills a standard-issue private pilot is solely within that pilot's ability to prevent.
4) See #1. That you've been in small airplanes and not been fearful is a reasonable indication that you'll be fine. You may find some elements of the training scary. Stall practice, for example, is scary for some folks, though I find it a non-event. But if you don't have a general fear of small planes, the fear of those elements can typically be overcome with practice.

Have fun.

Last edited:

1) only way to know is go fly. I bet you will enjoy it and the bug never leaves you once your bitten.
2)That can happen, but you have the ticket for life so you can always jump back in later in life, no big deal.
3)Risk is in everything we do, yes this is an unnecessary risk but mitigate those risk as much as possible. Its not being selfish if you can afford and you will find the utility to be great. If your family is on board go for it.
4) You will get used to it. I'm at 130 hours. The more I fly the better I feel. But there are still times that I think what am I doing. So yeah with anything the more you do it the more natural it will become.

Where in Mississippi are you? Maybe we could meet and go fly?

For me there was no way to imagine the joy I found flying.
I find magic in the most unlikely places.
I value the freedom that flying affords.
I love experiencing the things only a pilot in command gets to experience.
It puts order to a chaotic world for me.
I find each flight is magic in some unique way.
I love hanging out with pilots and I continue to be amazed at how willing they are to help me become confused on a higher level.
I love sharing what I have learned with other pilots.
My love of flying continues to grow with each flight.

I recently found out that my life insurance policy doesn't pay out if I die in a plane that I'm PIC of. I was told most policies have that clause. I think I need to look for a better policy.

You won't know if you like it until you try it. You can always stop before you get too far, and minimize the cost. Figure about $200/hr for plane and instructor.

I recently found out that my life insurance policy doesn't pay out if I die in a plane that I'm PIC of. I was told most policies have that clause. I think I need to look for a better policy.

Doesn't AOPA or EAA have policies? I better double check my policy.

1) Got to try it and see; probably, regular airplane flying is boring once the mastering a new vehicle novelty wears off.
2) Welcome to the world of non refundable purchases, on the other hand you are buying a novel education(insert all that broader mind stuff the liberal arts colleges sell on) that is cool even if you do hang it up.
3) She already has a replacement in mind. None of us are that special that we can't be replaced, they'd be fine without you. Divorce is worse on kids then loss of a parent and people do that all the time.
4) You worry too much.

Doesn't AOPA or EAA have policies? I better double check my policy.

Not directly. They act as a broker. But there are many carriers who are pilot friendly. USAA and PIC are two.

For the OP, while you are making your decision, consider participating in a local EAA chapter. You will meet some fascinating people who are very willing to share their passion for aviation. And you will make some valuable connections for future training. Hopefully ones that will add in maximizing the value of each dollar you spend.

You have the right questions, they are all valid, only you can answer them. However, without at least starting, you don't have all the information to complete the analysis. The good thing is, you can 'pay as you go' and get a few hours in with no great commitment.

As to family financial obligations, the only thing is to make sure what life insurance you do have doesn't exclude aviation. Whether you fly or not is not particularly relevant to when you will die in the greater scheme.

There are also lower cost ways to fly and even take someone with you and that is through Sport Pilot using what we used to call "Fat Ultralights", they were the reason Sport Pilot and Light Sport Aircraft rules came about. You can have a lot of fun on a low budget, especially while the kids are small and light.

If you find you have a joy of flight issue, there is always a way to go flying for fun, heck, a powered parachute rig would suit me fine right now. It's when you're trying to get stuff and people to places that it gets expensive.

If you have to ask, flying probably isn't for you, when I got into this it was just a natural thing, my only question was why didn't I start sooner.

If you're scared this easily, perhaps chess or checkers :dunno:

Sad fact to the meek folks, as someone who works EMS, it ain't the fun activates that often kill you, it's being fat, traffic intersections and changing lanes, poor breeding, heavy usage, falling, etc

Learning how to fly and then subsequently having the freedom to fly anywhere you want is an amazing freedom. Going trough learning how to fly and now having my PPL for 3 years now, I can tell you it is certainly near the top of great decisions I ever made.

That being said, if you are hesitat to start training for the reasons you stated, all great reasons honestly, then I would be concerned about your ability to see te process through to completion. Training is tough, learning all you need to know is not easy, and I'd be concerned that of you are hesitant to start, the mindset you enter training with is not conducive to overcoming that first obstacle that most certainly will get in your way.

Getting my PPL took determination, confidence and persistence. How much of each of those are in the op? Only he can answer.

4) Not having flown a whole lot I do not want to end up being to scared to fly and every time I go up be scared to death.

This specifically was a concern for me. I do a lot of risk identification and mitigation through my professional life and it seeps into all aspects of my life. Unconsciously I'm always trying to place an impact level and probability of everything and mitigating risks. I would guess my first flights up through my solo were a bit daunting and I cycled through those thoughts on my drive to the airport. I don't even think about it now and am a much more relaxed pilot.

Take an intro flight. You'll love it or hate it. You'll then be able to answer all your questions.

I'll take a stab at the first two. As an aircraft renter I look at flying as a hobby that costs me ~$110/hour to enjoy. While you're training you add in the hourly cost of an instructor. After you get your license you just pay by the hour. A lot of folks look at the initial training as an "investment" in a pilot's license that they then need to make pay off. I didn't think about it that way at all. It's fun! I pay by the hour for fun. Like you, I enjoyed the learning and I continue to learn now that I have my license. If I don't fly for a couple of weeks, it's a refresher course when I do a couple of laps around the pattern or fly somewhere fairly local. I may be a little nervous but I find that makes me focus more and do everything by the book. Checklists! Checklists! Checklists! I've been on a sailboat a few weeks, and I get the same weird feeling when I get behind the wheel of a car again. A little nervousness isn't the end of the world, channel it to your advantage.

Finally, if you take a few lessons, maybe solo, even get your license, then stop flying.... so what? You only go around once, enjoy the ride! If you've daydreamed about learning how to fly an airplane, go do it. :D

I struggled with the very same issues for quite a few years. But the conclusion I've reached is that those questions don't all need answers now. Learning to fly is every bit as much fun as holding a license and even owning your own airplane. Don't look at it as spending $10K for something you might not use. Can you afford to spend $150 - $200 for a single lesson? Find a good independent CFI and go flying. Just take one lesson. And if you like it, can afford it, get a kitchen pass... then go take another lesson. Don't think of it as paying for a license, you're paying for the privilege and fun of going flying for an hour or hour and a half. Just do that one step at a time and one day, possibly, you'll hold a PPL. Then remember, there's no expiration on that PPL either. Once a pilot, always a pilot. So if you don't fly for 20 years, but want to get back into it at retirement, you don't start over, you're already a pilot.

Just take that first lesson, and if the stars align, take a second one...

I had the same concerns of financial obligations to my wife and family, so I bumped up my life insurance and made sure it covers me as PIC.

Now I more concerned she might be tinkering with the plane before one of my $100 hambergers :wink2:

The more pilots the better when the aliens attack like in Independence Day who is the government going to have to fly the F-16s into the belly of the beast? :lol:

I don't have life insurance that covers me when flying other than a few old policies not worth much but there is enough in my retirement accounts to get my wife through. She certainly wouldn't be living in the lap of luxury but she would do fine. My kids are 21 and 18 so about to be on their own anyway.

I fly for fun and not to go places so the fact that I only fly on very nice days, in well maintained aircraft, that have plenty of fuel, and don't buzz people on the ground or show off the chance that flying is how I will meet my demise is pretty slim compared to the other risk factors in life. Can't completely rule it, as the old commercial says, "we all do dumb things."

My approach is that God is in control of my destiny (and theirs) the number of my days are what they are and when I it's my time I will go whether that is a smoking pile of rubble or in a bed holding hands with my family.

This life is a gift live it to the fullest!!!! Don't just survive. Thrive!

I have a term policy with Met Life and it was excluded for the first two years along with suicide (some equate the two, apparently insurance underwriters are among them) and then all perils are covered.

...My concerns are:

1) who knows if u will. I am finding that each flight is a new experience because, well, because it IS new. And exciting. Gets better each time. But that's just me.
2) then either don't spend the money or don't stop flying.
3) I find if I fly wearing a mask and cape that I kinda feel invincible. You should try it, starting with your discovery flight.
4) have u driven a car in NJ ever? You wanna talk about constant fear of death, give it a try. If you're not afraid of that, u should be fine in a plane. For me, the initial fears I had when I started training quickly subsided. Not to say I'm not aware and alert and concerned for everyone's safety, it's just not a fear.

My story for what its worth.

I stopped flying 10 years ago and got current in July 2014. The same old story. Life events got in the way and it was never about money. I have always flown RC airplanes so that is some sort of flying.

I tried and tried to forgot about flying and tried to convince myself I'm just not up to the task of acting as PIC again. I just couldn't get flying out of my head. It doesn't help I live near two GA airports. Being out 10 years I felt like I had to relearn everything. So I decided enough is enough. Called up the Flight school and took a flight with the CFI to help me decide do I want to really get current again. During that 1 1/2 flight with the CFI I was a nervous wreck. I think I was more nervous than my initial Discovery flight before my PPL. I kept thinking I'm not cut out for this anymore.
So I continue to push on with the lessons getting current again. 11 hours later with the CFI he cut me loose and signed me off. I'm still having to relearn a lot of stuff because it wasn't covered in my flight Review.

Sure I have thoughts of this airplane could kill me. I tell myself I'm prepared to handle any situations. Also I don't fly in conditions where the odds are against me. I fly VFR clear skies on most days of the year. I live in AZ. I always have a planned emergency landing place should the motor give up the ghost or something else forces me to land. I don't take unnecessary risks when flying.

As mentioned if your worried about financial obligations get life insurance to take care of the family if something should happen. Don't fly with a monkey on your back and being scarred if your going to crash. Flying like that isn't fun. This is suppose to be a fun and challenging sport/Hobby.

Thanks my two cents.

For half a century, I have yearned to fly. The drone of a small plane engine never fails to stir my heart, and my eyes turn to the sky. I have fulfilled many other dreams along the way. I have young children and cherish them: I don't take risks lightly. Our budget is modest. It may take four or five years to get a PPL, and I'll be pushing 60. My wife supports my flight lessons. She says she knows she comes first. She's happy to see me pursue a passion. She says she's proud of me. I just take each opportunity to fly as it comes. My kids are excited to think of their dad as a pilot, no matter how halting my efforts really are. There are many pilots on this forum far more knowledgeable and experienced than I will ever be. No matter. They are generous with their expertise, and seem never to tire of cheering on each fledgling milestone: first flight, first solo, cross-country, checkride. You can climb into a machine and spit in the eye of gravity, man's dream of the eons at your disposal for the asking. Just give it a try. I hope you enjoy it. If not, at least you will have tasted a freedom few have known.

Schedule a discovery flight, best way to answer your questions

Patty Wagstaff, an internationally famous air show pilot, wrote in Plane and Pilot magazine that having a little fear is a good thing...it keeps you from becoming complacent and taking chances.

Bob Gardner

I will answer these questions as a current student pilot who just went through these questions (and still do every now and again)

1) Probably, At least I hope I will. But it seems like if you like it enough to commit to the training you have enough interest that it remains interesting. Now I will say there will be valleys in your training where it will get frustrating and you will likely question if its worth it (nothing like paying $160/hr for a plane and instructor when you cant seem to figure out how to get the damn thing back on the ground and it seems like at the end of each lesson is followed up with "You are almost there, just need to work on X Y or Z then you'll have the landing down and be solo"). I recommend that you see these moments for what they are and realize that once you are past them you are back on track.

2) This is an important question for yourself. Only you know your income and budgeting. I feel that if you have the $10k to spend now (as long as its not going all on credit cards) then you likely know if you can afford to keep flying. This is probably the most important part about continuing after your training. I would recommend looking into local clubs and partnerships. This will help keep your cost down and it will give you a social group centered on flying. This will give you a reason for the $100 hamburger runs and will allow you to fly more frequently. I would say the biggest reason people stop flying would be that their finances or life commitments don't allow it, not because they get bored with it.

3) Would you think the same owning a boat or a motorcycle? I believe statistically these are similar activities in terms of risk. It may seem counter intuitive, but I seem to recall the accident / death rates were about the same when I was looking into it.

4) You will have your moments. Everyone is different. But especially when you are in your solo phase you will have moments when you get a pit in your stomach. For me if i haven't been up in some time due to work or weather I get anxious the first time around in the traffic pattern until the rust comes off. Also in real calm weather things just don't sit right with me. I actually do much better with a little bumps here and there. When it is smooth as glass it just doesn't feel right to me. It gets better over time as your confidence builds and you experience more things.

Another thing to consider is going for your Sport Pilots license. It limits you to 2 seat light sport planes but there isnt as large of a commitment upfront and with the right instructor it shouldnt be too hard to transition to a PPL if you wanted to in the future. This way you get your license a bit quicker then can get the time building and fun flying in and see if the additional commitment is worth it for you. If you use a CFI (not a CIFS) all your instruction will go towards your PPL and especially if you have gotten in some time building you really would only need some instrument and night flying to get your PPL checkride is my understanding.

Hope this helps

Go for it and share this part of you with your family.. It will be something they look back on and cherish.

Getting a PPL is moderately difficult, and takes time, commitment and money. You've been going back and forth for ten years without being able to generate the commitment. That says something.

You've flown in small planes before; if you enjoyed the experience, you'd probably be aware of the fact. Since you have to ask, you need to ask yourself, rather than a gaggle of strangers.

Money is an important issue. If you don't have enough, you won't get through the process.

Your wife and kids are an important issue. How do they feel about this, and will they support your endeavor? Will they oppose it? Will they like it? Will you be comfortable being PIC with your family in an airplane?

How do you feel about this? Does your desire to do this measure up to the obstacles that the process will throw up at you? How about the obstacles that you throw up at yourself?

Finally, at the end of your days, will you regret not having done this?

I fly for fun. Sometimes I'll look up and say, "that's not gonna be fun", so I don't fly.
Nobody's going to put a gun to your head and make you push in the throttle.

Flying should be a pleasure, not something to be endured. And when it's right, ain't nothing like it.

Back