Hertz Rent a Plane

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I wonder how well this would work out in today's environment? And check out the rental price!

35613892632_bba1dfcd4e_b.jpg

For the "without a pilot" option, how did they determine the mileage?

zip codes were brought out in 1963 so that dates the ad earlier (the ad uses the old postal zone). a quick google search claims the ad is from 1958.

Between that and the GT350H rent-a-racer I think Hertz has probably learned their lesson by now.

2 hour 200 mile trip in todays money would be around $350..

zip codes were brought out in 1963 so that dates the ad earlier (the ad uses the old postal zone). a quick google search claims the ad is from 1958.

July 1st of '63 to be exact. And that creates an interesting little factoid about Cape Girardeau, MO. They're the zip code inception town.

I was going to place it in 1960 or earlier. JFK was inaugurated in January 1961 and he didn't wear a hat, which drove men's hats such as those worn in the ad out of style in this country. And, in case anyone happens to be paying attention to the airplane instead of the other details of the ad, it's a square-tail Cessna 172, replaced with the swept tail we know today as of the Cessna 172A in 1960.

There is a company, Open Airplane, that supposedly makes it easier to rent planes away from home base. You check out at one FBO say in a C172, and when you travel somewhere and the FBO participates in the program you can rent their C172 without a checkout.

https://www.openairplane.com/

So, is this ad basically saying you can load 4 men in business suits and briefcases into a 172 O-300?

False advertising?

at a pretty inflated rate

I've had no reason to check them out in a few years, but I remember looking a while back and it was a $10 premium on most of the rentals I saw (over the regular rate the FBO charges). Not bad if you save the checkout costs.

I retract my statement.. A while back i looked at them and was seeing ~180/hr for a 172

So, is this ad basically saying you can load 4 men in business suits and briefcases into a 172 O-300?

False advertising?

They didn't have false advertising back then because we were gullible citizens. ;):D

July 1st of '63 to be exact. And that creates an interesting little factoid about Cape Girardeau, MO. They're the zip code inception town.

Why isn't it 00001 ?

Interesting that the taxi pilot was $1/hr. That works out to about $8.50/hr in today's $s. So, being a basic commercial pilot was worth about minimum wage back then too...

That looks very uncomfortable. Reminds me of DW, a friend and myself taking off from Gastons fully loaded. That was a very interesting morning! Haha

Weren't people were a lot lighter and smaller in those days?

July 1958 Flying had a bigger ad with more information:

Attachments

• Hertz.JPG
    Hertz.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 48
Apparently they were looking for franchisees. From the March 1958 issue...

upload_2018-1-10_15-44-45.png

By February 1960, Hertz was advertising cars in Flying, but no word on what happened to the R-A-P. There was an ad for an FBO (Dupont at MIA) offering Hertz Rent-A-Plane service. That was the last mention of it in Flying.

Another "lease-a-plane" operation stared in Illinois in 1970 but it didn't appear to have gone anywhere either.

There is one interesting federal lawsuit. Someone rented an twin via Hertz from the above FBO to fly arms to Cuba in 1958:

On August 16, 1958, C. W. Hormel rented from duPont, using a Hertz Standard Rental Agreement, a twin-engined 1955 Aero Commander airplane to be flown by Hormel's pilot, Guillermo Verdeguer, for the stated purpose of transporting Hormel from Miami, Florida, to Birmingham, Alabama. The plane, flown by Verdeguer, flew over Cuba with an overload of arms and ammunition aboard intended for Cuban revolutionaries. The plane, while over Cuba, was fired upon by the armed forces of the Cuban Government and it was unable to land. The plane was then flown several hundred miles, and, being out of fuel and having an engine disabled, perhaps from gunfire, it was ditched in or near Guantanamo Bay. The crash resulted in a total loss of the aircraft. The crash, so the jury found, was caused by the action of the Cuban Government in defending against insurrection and rebellion while the occupants of the airplane were engaged in flying arms and ammunition for the purpose of the revolution.

This ended up in federal court where the FBO sued their insurer for failure to cover this incident.

Last edited:
OK, here's what happened. Much as with FlyteNow's problems, they ran afoul of the FAA.

From the May 7, 1960 Chicago Tribune:

Hertz Rent A Plane System, Inc., has discontinued operations " in view of the apparent inevitability of federal controls" over the system.

Attachments

• Hertz_rent_a_plane_ends.pdf
    567.6 KB · Views: 16
A more terse statement in the June 8 1960 LA Times....

The Civil Aeronautics Board today ordered the Hertz Rent a Plane System, Inc., to cease operating until it gets CAB authority.

Hertz, better known for auto rentals, did not contest the order. Board sources said Hertz advised the CAB in a May 5 letter that it was dropping the plane rental service.

The board order upheld an examiner's finding that Hertz, in effect, was an indirect air carrier operating without CAB authority. The CAB proceeding against Hertz stemmed from complaints by air taxi operators.

Hertz, better known for auto rentals, did not contest the order. Board sources said Hertz advised the CAB in a May 5 letter that it was dropping the plane rental service.

Enterprise woulda done a better job since the founder was on an aircraft carrier during the war....

Back