Hertitage Flight at The Super Bowl

Ironically, the game itself is played in an enclosed stadium... so the people actually attending the game won't be able to see the flyover.

Ron Wanttaja

After refusing the ad from the veterans group, this and the MoH ceremony feels like pandering.

But maybe it's just because I'm negatively disposed toward the NFL right now already.

The United States Air Force Heritage Flight Program presents the evolution of United States Air Force air power by flying today’s state-of-the-art fighter aircraft in close formation with vintage aircraft.

Sad though that the time elapsed between first flight of the oldest and youngest designs is 10 yrs less than the time from the youngest design to today.

P-51 1940
F-16 1974
Today 2018

Ironically, the game itself is played in an enclosed stadium... so the people actually attending the game won't be able to see the flyover.

Ron Wanttaja

Rather silly, isn’t it?

I guess it’s for the tv audience who will not get the full effect of it. So basically it’s a waste.

Rather silly, isn’t it?

I guess it’s for the tv audience who will not get the full effect of it. So basically it’s a waste.

There is no indoor super giant Tv screens.??

I'll watch the game until the flyover then change it back to "The incredible Hulk" or "Wonder Woman".

But yes, a flyover over a domed stadium.... who came up with that idea..??

The NFL needs to take a lesson from the reincarnated XFL and the announcement this week that to be elbible to play athletes will have to stand for the national anthem AND they will not be eligible if they have an arrest record. I may start watching spring football.

They once had a flyover INSIDE a domed stadium. I was in Seattle's Kingdom once when they flew an ultralight around the turfed area. Did about three laps, never went over the seats.

Actually, they had two ultralights lined up to fly. The second aborted his takeoff and rolled to a stop.

The announcer ran over, stuck the mile in the pilot's face, and asked, "What happened? "

The pilot replied, "I chickened out."

I don't think I've ever admired a pilot more....

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
Another reason I hate enclosed stadiums. If Green bay, Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, New England... can play outdoors so can everyone else.

The weather always make for better games. That’s what football used to be about.

I respectfully disagree. Sheety weather normally turns a game into a ground game. I prefer a game filled with aerial assault. Much more fun to watch.

Pilots used to fly open cockpit planes in storms. I don’t think it was better either.

I respectfully disagree. Sheety weather normally turns a game into a ground game. I prefer a game filled with aerial assault. Much more fun to watch.

Pilots used to fly open cockpit planes in storms. I don’t think it was better either.

Ahh baloney! You just don't want to get wet and cold! :mad::);)

This might be interesting if they televise it, probably not as it's not the same day as the SB.

Air Force F-16, A-10s, and a P-51 Will Fly Over Super Bowl LII
The Air Force will take center stage at Super Bowl LII on Feb. 4, with an F-16, two A-10s, and a P-51 Mustang performing a flyover of the game at US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. The Air Force’s F-16 Viper demonstration team announced on Facebook this week that the F-16 will lead the flyover, along with A-10s and the P-51 from the Air Force Heritage Flight Foundation. The Air Force Thunderbirds flew over NRG Stadium in Houston for last year’s Super Bowl. Before this year’s game, the Civil Air Patrol is going to help the Minnesota Air National Guard train for aircraft entering restricted airspace around the stadium. On Jan. 30, a CAP plane will fly into a simulated no-fly zone as a demonstration of what would happen if an incursion did occur. F-16s from the 148th Fighter Wing at Duluth Air National Guard Base will respond, flying alongside the aircraft, making radio contact, and guiding it out of the restricted airspace, according to a CAP release. —Brian Everstine

Back