Here's a silly question...

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
Why is there a separate space in your logbook for take-offs and landings??

interview_cartoon.jpg

its really not too hard to imagine scenarios where you will make the takeoff or landing during a flight but not both. for example if your instructor does one or the other. or if you are flying with another pilot and oneo fyou does the takeoff and the other the landing.

its really not too hard to imagine scenarios where you will make the takeoff or landing during a flight but not both. for example if your instructor does one or the other. or if you are flying with another pilot and oneo fyou does the takeoff and the other the landing.

What's virtually always missing is the ability to (easily) indicate which takeoffs and which landings were at night. For me it's far more likely that any night landing will occur on a flight with a takeoff earlier than one hour past sunset.

In the airline world you may make the take off but another crewmember may make the landing.

Guess that's why I don't see any humor in your posting.

FWIW, my logbook doesn't have both.

Day TOs
Night TOs

I guess it assumes a landing?

I have eight logbooks covering over 40 years of flying. None of them have columns for takeoffs or landings.

Bob Gardner

In my current logbook there is only one column for landings, nothing for takeoffs.

My Jepp logbook has a column for takeoffs and landings. I just circle or asterisk the ones that count for night currency, then make a note to myself about it.

61.57 requires a pilot to perform takeoffs and landings (not just landings) for passenger-carrying currency, and 61.51 requires logging of "The aeronautical experience required for meeting the recent flight experience requirements of this part."

Although I still can't figure out why some logbooks don't give a good option for logging night takeoffs and landings. It is possible to log night time (between end of evening civil twilight and 1 hr past sunset), yet not have the takeoffs & landings count for night currency. In my old logbook I made a separate column.

I put a small N next to the number of night landings in column, works great.

I put "night currency, 3 takeoffs and landings" in the remarks field since the log book requires logging the takeoffs. But that's a good point and one often missed.

Mine has a split column for day/night landings. Nothing about takeoff. Apparently there is no standard for logbooks.

blue ink for daytime, black ink for nighttime, red ink for combat ... ;)

Mine has a split column for day/night landings. Nothing about takeoff. Apparently there is no standard for logbooks.
What a publisher decides needs to actually be there to cover the 61.51 categories and beyond is pretty much up to them and each publisher's balance between usefulness and waste will be a bit different.

For example, my logbook has a "day" column which I think is ridiculous (I cross it out), but I guess someone thought that

total flight time - night flight time = day flight time

was way too complicated math for the # of times one might require it (0?).

61.57 requires a pilot to perform takeoffs and landings (not just landings) for passenger-carrying currency, and 61.51 requires logging of "The aeronautical experience required for meeting the recent flight experience requirements of this part."

Although I still can't figure out why some logbooks don't give a good option for logging night takeoffs and landings. It is possible to log night time (between end of evening civil twilight and 1 hr past sunset), yet not have the takeoffs & landings count for night currency. In my old logbook I made a separate column.

I find that "3 TOL" as part of the remarks entry works quite well to meet the 61.51 requirement. Whether they were accomplished during the day or at night is answered in the "night" column. No problem when the FAA inspected my logbook for the ATP exam.

Bob Gardner

Oh no --- now I probably have to go back in my logbook and make some serious revisions because - while flying with students - I did far more landings than takeoffs! I only counted them when I actually had to touch the controls or DO SOMETHING to keep us from being scrap metal on the runway!

Worse yet -- just looked at my logbook (that doesn't exist) --- no column for take-offs at all! And now -- could it be that all of my FAA records are falsified?

It's your logbook. You get to use it however you would like as long as you cover the basic minimums that the FAA requires. Several people use it like a diary, detailing each flight on a separate page. While I talk a lot (so I'm told), I never found it necessary to fill a page with my flying experience though I think it's a great idea. I log each flight, summarizing in the remarks things I do and the special events like Young Eagles or fly-ins, and the total landings that leg.

Because my logbook has only one flight where the number of takeoffs and landings were not equal.

Unless you call ripping half of one side of the wing off on a bridge, turning turtle, and skidding upside down the wrong way on a busy freeway for about a hundred yards, calling that a landing. I don't.

Pretty much the same reason a triage tag (the body tag they put on injured people) have a green tearoff section if you can wait for treatment, a yellow tearoff section if you need help fairly soon, a red tearoff section if you need immediate emergency help, and a black tearoff section if you are as comfortable as you are going to be for all eternity. Why is the black section tearoff?

Jim

You know, I once asked if you could log a crash landing as a landing and no one ever answered me.....

So - what say y'all?

You know, I once asked if you could log a crash landing as a landing and no one ever answered me.....

So - what say y'all?
Well, you can really log whatever you want, but for currency purposes, I would say that if your 3 landings are all crashes you're not very current. :eek:

I have no clue what the FAA says, though.

So - what say y'all?

One authority (Mirriam-Webster) says a "landing" is: "a going or bringing to a surface (as land or shore) after a voyage or flight" with no exclusions based on the condition or attitude of the craft.

They also define a "crash-landing" as this: "to land (an airplane or spacecraft) under emergency conditions usually with damage to the craft", so it seems to me that a "crash-landing" is just a special subset of "landings".

The definitions chapter of the FARs doesn't have anything for "landing" so I guess they left it up to Webster.

Well, you can really log whatever you want, but for currency purposes, I would say that if your 3 landings are all crashes you're not very current. :eek:

I have no clue what the FAA says, though.

Since the currency requirements could have but didn't specify "successful" landings, it seems to me that crashes would count as long as the crashee was the sole manipulator of the controls. Just another example where FAA currency doesn't necessarily imply competency.:D

Now let's stretch our minds a bit to airports. Most airports have about the same number of takeoffs and landings when measured since the airport opened. A few, however, have far more takeoffs than landings. Also a few have far more landings than takeoffs.

What airport has the largest differential of takeoffs? of landings?

I don't know the answer, but I can make a few guesses. More fun to throw the question to the assembled multitude.....

-Skip

Now let's stretch our minds a bit to airports. Most airports have about the same number of takeoffs and landings when measured since the airport opened. A few, however, have far more takeoffs than landings. Also a few have far more landings than takeoffs.

I don't know the answer, but I can make a few guesses. More fun to throw the question to the assembled multitude.....
I'm going to guess that someplace where airplanes are manufactured would have more takeoffs than landings, Wichita for example. The airports with more landings would be the aircraft boneyards like Davis-Monthan AFB.

-Skip

I'd be willing to bet that KCEA and KBEC have had a LOT more takeoffs than landings. Hint: They are both near Wichita KS.

Back